Texans coaching staff on Watt - bitter or truthful?

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Very true, Armstrong like Watt is/was a dick, and all about the money and fame, and pro PED use, during both of their entire careers. The difference is that the pro cycling world looks at Armstrong as a pariah, even though his competition was doping just as much as he was,  the football world on the other hand loves them some PED users, always has always will.

To me, it’s not the PEDs because that is fairly common.  It’s more the holier than thou, superhero status that was obviously phony yet fooled so many.  To me, it was obvious Armstrong was a douche from the jump.  The hero worship lasted for a long time with him.  Overcoming cancer is something I’ll leave out.  I admire that about him.  Dumping his wife who helped him through it to screw around with Sheryl Crow was a hoot.  Watt gives off that same douchey vibe to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, 716er said:

Bitter

See EJ's pick 6

Not that I agree with this take, but one could make the argument that the Cardinals are closer to being a SB team (Not winner, but team) because they are in the wide open NFC and do not have to go through KC.

Seattle, LA, and San Fran in the division don’t make it easy.

It probably has some truth to it. I'm not sure it would remain true on a winning team, he was beyond bitter about his perceived ineptitude of Houston front office. 

Would he have an attitude problem somewhere that he felt was doing everything to win? Who knows. 

I do think he will find more frustration in the desert though. 

6 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

I don't know if this is bitter or truthful.

You can believe me or not, but I have a close relationship with one of the premier NFL agents. What I have been told many times (prior to Watt being cut) is that he is strongly disliked in NFL circles, particularly by other players. I have heard he is a total phony, obsessed with creating an image/resume that does not accurately reflect his person. That he is incredibly self-centered and egotistical. 

Could he have helped our defense, probably, but I won't lose any sleep over not getting him.

I completely believe this. I have no connections. He has always come off as fake to me. Ive never liked him for that reason. 

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I believe it. Why would you say you are interested in being on a SB team and then proceed to not choose a SB competitive team. He just wanted the money, and I could see those reviews as being true. 

If he was just concerned about the money and not winning, he could have stayed in Houston, he's actually taking a slight pay cut going to AZ.

17 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If he was just concerned about the money and not winning, he could have stayed in Houston, he's actually taking a slight pay cut going to AZ.

Houston wasn't going to pay him, so no he couldn't stayed in Houston.

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Very true, Armstrong like Watt is/was a dick, and all about the money and fame, and pro PED use, during both of their entire careers. The difference is that the pro cycling world looks at Armstrong as a pariah, even though his competition was doping just as much as he was,  the football world on the other hand loves them some PED users, always has always will.

You have any evidence of this at all? Claiming the NFL, who has a pretty strict testing policy, loves PED users? And also hinting that Watt uses PEDs?

• Like (+1) 1

I've always had the feeling he was an egomaniac, and something of a thug. Yes, a great player in some ways, an exceptional talent, but I'm not surprised to hear them say he was not a good team player, or liked by the other players.  

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I originally wanted Watt, but the more I think about it, I’m glad we didn’t. It’s not because he didn’t choose us, it’s the whole attitude behind this event. 

Aye, all the cryptic tweeting nonsense reminded me of an attention seeking teen. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I believe it. Why would you say you are interested in being on a SB team and then proceed to not choose a SB competitive team. He just wanted the money, and I could see those reviews as being true. 

I'm just happy we didn't sign him for that price.

His availability is awful.

His defenses were never elite. Didn't make guys better like an Aaron Donald or Von Miller 

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I think Arizona's 'dry heat' was the deciding factor...

That, and the 23 million clams. 😁

image.jpeg.fb644ccb96fd3b22e290ea531cfc5174.jpeg

That will buy a lot of cactus juice. 

1 hour ago, billsintaiwan said:

Aye, all the cryptic tweeting nonsense reminded me of an attention seeking teen. 

I mean he’s never been a FA before so it was probably exciting for him and I don’t hate him for it. At the same time it takes a very self absorbed person to be that into himself where he drags thousands of fans through the mud for his entertainment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Without wanting to derail the thread too much I was an avid pro cycling fan in the 90s and 00s and still enjoy the grand tours but am far less of a fan than I used to be. The cycling authorities have followed a pretty constant pattern when it comes to doping which is make an example of a guy then pretend the rest is okay. It was all okay after 1998 and Festina and there was nothing to see here despite the constant noise about Lance.... and then when it turned out it wasn't well that is just Lance, he is a bad egg, nothing else to see here.... move on. It is a cycle that sadly repeated over and over. 

• Agree 2

I personally think the Bills dodged a bad contract on this guy if they were even close to signing him. Leave over paying under performing old players to the Sabres. I guess I'm bitter...

i have no doubt he is awful and totally full of himself.

i also know he has at least at time freelanced in a bad way.  i remember with tyrod we beat houston.  one play at the goal line, watt just like kept changing the gap he was rushing, came in and smacked tyrod down for a sack.  the next play, he did the same thing, tyrod caught him in the wrong gap, and tyrod just walked in for an easy td.

given how our D is run, and who are coaches are, i think if watt signed here we woulda just had him rushing the passer like a psycho, which suits him well, and otherwise just controlling a single gap, which he is more than capable of doing.  our current wood on the DL does not get up the field like maniacs for the most part, and also lose gap control, so watt would be a huge improvement.

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t believe it

I do believe it.  He's had poser and fraud written all over him from day one.  Of the Flutie and Tebow ilk ... except Watt is actually good at football.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Without wanting to derail the thread too much I was an avid pro cycling fan in the 90s and 00s and still enjoy the grand tours but am far less of a fan than I used to be. The cycling authorities have followed a pretty constant pattern when it comes to doping which is make an example of a guy then pretend the rest is okay. It was all okay after 1998 and Festina and there was nothing to see here despite the constant noise about Lance.... and then when it turned out it wasn't well that is just Lance, he is a bad egg, nothing else to see here.... move on. It is a cycle that sadly repeated over and over. 

fact.  i remember, and i think it was in SI when they did actual reporting, a nameless test for a new EPO test they had (so they couldn't bust anyone, so no names) found the entire field was positive for EPO.  they hand waved about maybe the test being too strong, but it seems like it was correct.

IMO, like pro bodybuilding or olympic weightlifting (and i say NFL football as well) cycling just isn't a sport that humans (or at least not enough of them to have a big competition) can compete in without PEDs.  biking up and down mountains at break neck speeds for days and days is basically super human.