No Watt? A crazy non interest in Miller? How about Bud Dupree

14 hours ago, Jeff1954 said:

A lot of people on this board thought Star was a problem in 2019. Now, many are seeing him as the answer in 2021. Maybe its important to draft a very big 1 tech. as insurance if not as a starter. I don’t follow college football. Would be grateful for a list of names I could research. Thanks.

The only 1 techs that I know of are Tyler Shelvin LSU and Alim McNeil NC. McNeil has had the more impressive past season (for what that's worth). Both would be excellent 3rd round picks, and could replace Star. But, Star will be the main guy this year so it's not going to be a difference making pick this year.

It's a question of how you use money in a tight-cap year. If Milano is gone you must get a new LB. I think you also need to select a player who can counteract KC, specifically Kelce. A Jeremy Chinn matchup type.

We need a new swing tackle and it's a great draft for that. You have to stay open to taking an edge. Those are both premium value positions which are needs. I think 1T may fall by the wayside as a priority.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not sure about Lawson or Okwara to be honest.. although they would be cheaper options...

How about throwing caution to the wind and bringing in Ngakoue? I know .I know ... $15m per year... (minimum)...

Ngakoue to me is undersized and over valued. I was doing more digging of UFAs and a name that could be a very affordable option and productive was Dawuane (DJ) Smoot of the Jaguars.  https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/should-the-jaguars-re-sign-dawuane-smoot as he's had 11.5 sacks combined the last two seasons after having 0 his first two seasons. 

10 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

The only 1 techs that I know of are Tyler Shelvin LSU and Alim McNeil NC. McNeil has had the more impressive past season (for what that's worth). Both would be excellent 3rd round picks, and could replace Star. But, Star will be the main guy this year so it's not going to be a difference making pick this year.

It's a question of how you use money in a tight-cap year. If Milano is gone you must get a new LB. I think you also need to select a player who can counteract KC, specifically Kelce. A Jeremy Chinn matchup type.

We need a new swing tackle and it's a great draft for that. You have to stay open to taking an edge. Those are both premium value positions which are needs. I think 1T may fall by the wayside as a priority.

If looking for a 1 tech that could be had in the lower rounds to me the guy to target is Bobby Brown III. I think we could get him in the 5th round and coule be good value. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Ngakoue to me is undersized and over valued.

Kind of an interesting note from PFF re: Ngakoue:

Since 2017, Ngakoue has the eighth-best pass-rush grade in the league when rushing from wide alignments (89.1), but he grades out at just 68.3 from all other defensive line alignments.

Maybe teams will continue thinking that if he succeeds from the wide-9 type alignments, that he can learn to succeed from other similar alignments, but if not, he seems like a very very niche skillset. I'm not sure how often different teams line up that way; I remember in the early 2010's when the Eagles did it a lot and garnered a lot of media attention at the time for it but that's about it.

I get the Dupree love, but I have MAJOR concerns.  The guy was a non-factor until contract years.  His best years coincide with Watt playing lights-out for the Steelers D, he also benefits from Hayward.  I'd pass on Dupree and the money he'd get and go after many other players (Lawson from Cincy)

On 3/1/2021 at 2:08 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

WE NEED DL BEEF MORE THAN A PASS RUSH.

Bills were 6th in the NFL on QB Pressures last season.  Out interior DL was pushed around and we frequently lost in the trenches.  

Not saying we can’t upgrade the pass rush, but we don’t have a ton of money to spend, and we MUST shore up the interior line with some size or we won’t see much change in our defense next year.  

It makes everyone’s jobs easier when you have space eaters taking on multiple blockers.  

That can be found rounds 3-5 easily.. Tedarrell Slaton and Marvin Wilson would be great space eaters but I think I disagree that we don’t need more pass rush.. Arguably our biggest need outside of LB.

Pertinent to this discussion. JM feels like there are 3 guys that would be reasonable to take at 30. He discounts Jalen Phillips (red flags), Ojulari (size) and isn't keen on Rousseau (underdeveloped rush moves). He says Kwity Paye wont make it past the Raiders at 10. For a difference now, he advocates free agency or trade.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bills-daily-podcast-on-the-buffalo-bills/id1145479962

Edited by Seoulofstone

No sure where to ask but this looks like a good topic - I've heard somebody claim that Von Miller is not an option for 4-3 at all, since he is 3-4 OLB and has no position in 4-3 scheme wise.

I appreciate some insight on this. Is he out of question for us due to this? Or is it possible to use him?

@GunnerBill?

Edited by No_Matter_What

14 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Pertinent to this discussion. JM feels like there are 3 guys that would be reasonable to take at 30. He discounts Jalen Phillips (red flags), Ojulari (size) and isn't keen on Rousseau (underdeveloped rush moves). He says Kwity Paye wont make it past the Raiders at 10. For a difference now, he advocates free agency or trade.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bills-daily-podcast-on-the-buffalo-bills/id1145479962

Who are the 3 that he thinks would be reasonable?

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Who are the 3 that he thinks would be reasonable?

Sorry I phrased it badly. He thinks 4 guys would be value picks at 30, those 3 and Paye. However, he thinks all of them would be bad fits on the Bills, except Paye who is basically out of the Bills reach. I wouldn't say that I completely agree but it's a perspective.

I think you just never know. TJ Watt, and Cam Jordan are examples of late 1st rounders who are premier edges now. I know that everyone wants a 'safe' pick but there is more uncertainty than ever in this year of limited college games. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

No sure where to ask but this looks like a good topic - I've heard somebody claim that Von Miller is not an option for 4-3 at all, since he is 3-4 OLB and has no position in 4-3 scheme wise.

I appreciate some insight on this. Is he out of question for us due to this? Or is it possible to use him?

@GunnerBill?

Can't answer for Gunner, but I can point out that Miller is going to cost too much for us. The likelihood there is very low.

I think JJ Watt will play up to the salary Arizona gave him. He'll be worth it. But he wouldn't have been worth it for us in our cap situation.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:02 PM, Buddo said:

I'm sure that Star returning will improve matters, especially in respect of letting other guys play. The Bills D will almost certainly improve with his return.

My difficulty in that, is that I don't see that as being enough to take us 'over the edge' defensively.

Somewhere we need to find a guy who impacts games more than what we currently have on the D-Line.

For all that the Tampa D-Line was much better than ours, in the Superbowl, they had it easy, as KC didn't have hardly a recognised starter on their O-Line. They were able to get loads of pressure from their front 4, which let them blanket KCs main weapons, and make life incredibly difficult for Mahomes.

It's the only gameplan in town that is going to work against KC, but it was just too easy to implement, due to the useless O-Line KC had to put out, because of injuries.

The Bucs actually owe the Bills big time, as not only did their actual starting LT get crocked in the Championship game, but when we played them earlier in the season, another of their O-Line starters went down and out for the season.

Even when Fisher went down, the Bills D-Line were unable to capitalise on that, and tbh, even if Star had been playing, I don't believe that much would have changed there. We simply couldn't do enough. Which leads me back to the fact that not only do we need Star back, but we also need someone else who is going to give the oppositon trouble.

Yeah, it's worth remembering.

Mike Remmers is a decent right tackle. Far from great, but OK. In the Super Bowl he had to play left tackle. And he can NOT play left tackle at any kind of reasonable level.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1