No Watt? A crazy non interest in Miller? How about Bud Dupree

A lot of people on this board thought Star was a problem in 2019. Now, many are seeing him as the answer in 2021. Maybe its important to draft a very big 1 tech. as insurance if not as a starter. I don’t follow college football. Would be grateful for a list of names I could research. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They gotta get younger at DE...

Now they have missed Watt, I would be in favour of bringing in a guy on his second contract...

Trey Hendrickson, 26, 11 1/2 sacks last year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WE NEED DL BEEF MORE THAN A PASS RUSH.

Bills were 6th in the NFL on QB Pressures last season.  Out interior DL was pushed around and we frequently lost in the trenches.  

Not saying we can’t upgrade the pass rush, but we don’t have a ton of money to spend, and we MUST shore up the interior line with some size or we won’t see much change in our defense next year.  

It makes everyone’s jobs easier when you have space eaters taking on multiple blockers.  

Wow, had NO IDEA we were 6th in QB pressures(I'd bet alot of that is thanks to Mr Hughes), but you are spot on in that our interior D-line IMO is a huge problem.  I'm praying that Star's return is a huge relief, but something in me feels like we need to really shore up the interior, whether its via free agency or the draft...the ideal scenario would be Star coming back, making everyone else's lives easier, and we add quality depth via one or two mid-level signings for rotational depth.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills were 6th in the NFL on QB Pressures last season.  Out interior DL was pushed around and we frequently lost in the trenches.  

Not saying we can’t upgrade the pass rush, but we don’t have a ton of money to spend, and we MUST shore up the interior line with some size or we won’t see much change in our defense next year.  

It makes everyone’s jobs easier when you have space eaters taking on multiple blockers.  

... won and lost in the trenches... 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Ngakoue completely disappeared after being traded to Baltimore. I think he's a good not great pass rusher yet think will get overpaid for.

He would not help us get better against the run either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

I’d still bring in Clowney. Maybe even before Dupree. But you would absolutely get destroyed on here for that thought

One thing I really like about Clowney is that he’s a great DE to have on the field when playing against Lamar.  He can hold and collapse the edge which forces players like Lamar to stay in the pocket and get rid of the ball or run straight upfield.  No rolling out to buy time for coverage to break down or running up the sideline. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I'd be happy with Dupree, he would bring help to our pass rush.

He was better than TJ Watt in the games I saw him.  Reminded me of the good version of Clowney, pretty much unblockable.

Knock on him was consistency but he was a huge reason Pitt went 11 straight and then tanked when he and Bush were out.

We have a 2 year window before Josh money kicks in, lets make a hard run now, if we are willing to pay old slow oft injured TJ Watt big money lets offer Dupree at least the same.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Star may be the smallest “space eater” in the history of space eaters and isn’t all that impactful when he’s on the field. We truly need a Ted “Mt.” Washington type. Look at this picture, Sapp was nearly the same size as Star.

AF894F28-C324-4CF6-A287-CBEF731AD2A8.jpeg

Nonsense. 

If we learned one thing this year, it was how impactful Star really was and how much we missed him. 

Star is indeed small for a space eater. But he gets the job done. I loved Washington back in the day. Terrific player. But the question is how well a guy gets the job done. Lotulelei got the job done.

I wouldn't mind drafting someone to take over down the line. It would make sense.

11 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

He was better than TJ Watt in the games I saw him.  Reminded me of the good version of Clowney, pretty much unblockable.

Knock on him was consistency but he was a huge reason Pitt went 11 straight and then tanked when he and Bush were out.

We have a 2 year window before Josh money kicks in, lets make a hard run now, if we are willing to pay old slow oft injured TJ Watt big money lets offer Dupree at least the same.

From his ending up in Arizona, it looks like Watt, who is coming off receiving most of his $100M contract, found the Bills offer not high enough.

Seems fairly likely the Bills offer was not all that big. Offering Dupree the same money will probably earn us a chuckle.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Exactly. 

I feel the Bills are capable of making at least one "big splash" signing. Might as well make it for a position where we need the most.

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Solid post. Star should help in regards. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Go get Fletcher Cox.  He was still dominant last year and has no injury history.  2 years $33m left on his contract.  Gotta imagine he doesn’t wanna waste his last couple good years in a rebuild situation.  

I would love to see Fletcher Cox in a Bills uniform. Instant upgrade to our defense. Also, seems like a good motivator and leader who can help out our younger players. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

From his ending up in Arizona, it looks like Watt, who is coming off receiving most of his $100M contract, found the Bills offer not high enough.

Seems fairly likely the Bills offer was not all that big. Offering Dupree the same money will probably earn us a chuckle.

Maube I am in the minority. I'm glad the Bills didn't over pay for Watt. 

• Agree 2

I'm sure that Star returning will improve matters, especially in respect of letting other guys play. The Bills D will almost certainly improve with his return.

My difficulty in that, is that I don't see that as being enough to take us 'over the edge' defensively.

Somewhere we need to find a guy who impacts games more than what we currently have on the D-Line.

For all that the Tampa D-Line was much better than ours, in the Superbowl, they had it easy, as KC didn't have hardly a recognised starter on their O-Line. They were able to get loads of pressure from their front 4, which let them blanket KCs main weapons, and make life incredibly difficult for Mahomes.

It's the only gameplan in town that is going to work against KC, but it was just too easy to implement, due to the useless O-Line KC had to put out, because of injuries.

The Bucs actually owe the Bills big time, as not only did their actual starting LT get crocked in the Championship game, but when we played them earlier in the season, another of their O-Line starters went down and out for the season.

Even when Fisher went down, the Bills D-Line were unable to capitalise on that, and tbh, even if Star had been playing, I don't believe that much would have changed there. We simply couldn't do enough. Which leads me back to the fact that not only do we need Star back, but we also need someone else who is going to give the oppositon trouble.

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Maube I am in the minority. I'm glad the Bills didn't over pay for Watt. 

I would of loved to see what in Buffalo but 16 mil a year was too steep. I would of done it for 10-12 mil. Never overpay.

Edited by MrSarcasm
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No thanks on Dupree. He benefited greatly from a 3-4 D next to tuitt, Hayward and TJ watt plus coming off an ACL. Not the lead pass rusher we need for the money he will likely cost 

agree. he was probably the 4th best player in that front.... they are just ridiculously stacked in the front 7.

Does anyone remember what hayward was doing to us in the first half of that game this year? He's done that for a couple years now and Dupree is usually the guy right beside him reaping the benefits.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

There’s arguably not a starter on the Bills DL, MASSIVE upgrades need to be brought in and all the trash needs to go to the curb.

Never gets home Hughes

Undersized Eddy

not a Star

Eppi-pen

Isn’t going to cut it.  All of them are nothing but rotation players at this point in their careers.  A REAL DT is a need, along with a good space eater and at least 1 pass rusher to pair with Hughes.

• Dislike 1