Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I get all of this, but he turned SF into a well-oiled dominator in 2019 and oversaw a great Falcons offense in that SB season. Yeah, they lost, but it wasn't as if they lost to bad teams; they were great teams. And the games were obviously extremely close. The 2016 Falcons were #1 overall in offense and the 2019 Niners' offense was #2 in points and #4 in yards. He's doing something right. And let's not forget that both of those teams blew teams out in the playoffs during those SB years. I can't get hung up on one or two plays. With regard to Kingsbury, the Cardinals' showing at the end of this season was beyond pathetic. I guarantee you that if he had done that in Buffalo, the fans on this site would have ridden him out of town on a rail. 

I didn’t say he’s not a good offensive mind, but he’s twice choked on the biggest stage is my point.  So he’s far from proven as a HC at this point.  Plenty of coaches have reached Super Bowls that weren’t really that good of a coach overall long term and have gone on to even eventually be fired.  

So saying he’s made the SB, while also playing a significant role in blowing it twice (both as an OC and HC) doesn’t cement him as a great HC in my book is all I am saying.  He may never make another one again, and I am pretty certain he won’t be making it back there in 2021.  

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Playing the AFC #1 seed in one of those and playing backups in another.

And then blew the game against a mediocre Texans team.

I didn’t say they are an exact mirror, just similar positions.

Any team can win in any given year.  Cardinals do have a good D and an up and coming QB.  Just don’t think they are that close to being a contender.

Like others said, it was about the $$$.  Glad we didn’t pay that for him.  I’d rather have a couple of 2nd tier players filling needs than one player at his age.  Think RB and LB.

The Bills don’t have any glaring holes.  Solid players at most of our positions.  Don’t need a big singing like this one.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And then blew the game against a mediocre Texans team.

I didn’t say they are an exact mirror, just similar positions.

Then they lost to another playoff team yeah, which itself then lost to the future SB Champ.

Thought he wanted a contender. He didn't even go to a Top 5 NFC team. Oh well...chasing the $$$ I guess.

My Top 5 for good measure: Tampa, GB, NO, LAR, Seattle...I'll even throw in SF.

Edited by KGun12TD

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Where did HE say that? Someone link me to a real quote please.

Google is a pal!

Here's a quote from him from a Houston Chronicle article on 11/4/2020.

“I don’t think it’s any secret that I don’t have 10 years left in this league,” Watt said when asked if he wants to finish his career with the Texans. “I personally believe that I do have a few more great ones left in me, but I’m not looking to rebuild. I’m looking to go after a championship, and that’s what I want to do."

Source: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/J-J-Watt-wants-to-play-for-a-championship-not-a-15702883.php

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

we still need an Edge in FA.  Too risky to draft one, and can't count on AJ being the guy.  

Carl Lawson is currently at the top of my list, then a 2nd group including: Shaq Barrett, Takkarist McKinley Shelby Harris, Justin Houston, Hendrickson, Clowney, Leonard Floyd,  and Melvin Ingram, and a 3rd group of: Denico Autry, Aldon Smith, and Romeo Okwara.  

Who do you all like?  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, blacklabel said:

Google is a pal!

Here's a quote from him from a Houston Chronicle article on 11/4/2020.

“I don’t think it’s any secret that I don’t have 10 years left in this league,” Watt said when asked if he wants to finish his career with the Texans. “I personally believe that I do have a few more great ones left in me, but I’m not looking to rebuild. I’m looking to go after a championship, and that’s what I want to do."

Source: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/J-J-Watt-wants-to-play-for-a-championship-not-a-15702883.php

Ok, close. But that was in the context of playing for the Texans and their plans back in November. Bit of a stretch when talking about the recent FA situation.

I wouldnt call the Cardinals a re-build either.

Just now, RyanC883 said:

we still need an Edge in FA.  Too risky to draft one, and can't count on AJ being the guy.  

Carl Lawson is currently at the top of my list, then a 2nd group including: Shaq Barrett, Takkarist McKinley Shelby Harris, Justin Houston, Hendrickson, Clowney, Leonard Floyd,  and Melvin Ingram, and a 3rd group of: Denico Autry, Aldon Smith, and Romeo Okwara.  

Who do you all like?  

Lawson is on top of mine followed by Hendrickson and floyd

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok, close. But that was in the context of playing for the Texans and their plans back in November. Bit of a stretch when talking about the recent FA situation.

I wouldnt call the Cardinals a re-build either.

Close enough, right? I don't think we have to split hairs over context or whatever. It's pretty plain to see that he wanted to go somewhere with a chance at a championship in the next few years. I don't think AZ is that team. They're not in a rebuild, obviously, but I think they're a bit further away than some other teams. 

Not trying to be a homer but I truly believe the guy could've flourished here. To each his own.

That said, I wholeheartedly wanna see AZ go 2-14 this year.