Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And how exactly are the Niners better?  

They have a worse QB, most of their best players coming off serious injuries, losing some key members of the defense this offseason, and the Cardinals have a better overall offense.  And after this offseason, a case can be made the Cardinals have the better defense.

AZ defense is easily the second best in the division right now with the potential to be the best defense in that division. 

AZ has a very good offense that is improving each year and can easily finish first or second offensively this year.

Sorry, but people are wrong about the Cardinals prospects next year and if Watt stays healthy, that defense is going to be very good.

A healthy 49ers squad is a lot better than AZ. They have a far better coach, a great offensive scheme, and a better defense. They will be healthy next year. Garrapolo is pretty underrated too; he knows how to manage a team to victory (and that is not meant as a criticism).  It's as if people forget he was actually excellent in just about every stat category in 2019: 69.1 completion pct WHILE averaging 8.4 ypa, 4,000 yards passing, 102.0 rating, and a 27-13 TD/INT ratio. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And how exactly are the Niners better?  

They have a worse QB, most of their best players coming off serious injuries, losing some key members of the defense this offseason, and the Cardinals have a better overall offense.  And after this offseason, a case can be made the Cardinals have the better defense.

AZ defense is easily the second best in the division right now with the potential to be the best defense in that division. 

AZ has a very good offense that is improving each year and can easily finish first or second offensively this year.

Sorry, but people are wrong about the Cardinals prospects next year and if Watt stays healthy, that defense is going to be very good.

Cardinals already had a good defense. I'm meh on Murray, and Kyle Shanahan is probably 20x the coach Kliff Kingsbury is. I think SF's D is still better, and will be better. Gun to my head, I pick the Cards to finish 4th. I think everyone agrees that the Rams are at the top, and then I guess you can argue over second between the remaining 3.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

They are not a bad team, but if I had to predict now, I see them as a last place team next year. My rough prediction:

LA: 12-4

SF: 11-5/12-4

Seattle: 10-6/11-5

AZ: 8-8/7-9

They should try to trade for Deshaun Watson now, may move them up to 2nd or 3rd.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Were there any actual, direct quote from Watt that said this? Or was that all media/social media user hype and speculation?

I dont remember seeing much from Watt other than he was taking his time.

You're not wrong in the least.    I suppose the real lack of respect should be to the media.   

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No I just think it is a bit more nuanced than that. The Cardinals are an ascending team. But tough to win a title when you are running that gauntlet of a division every year. The rest of the conference is weak though. So it is swings and roundabouts. 

All they need is a wildcard birth.  Path to SB is much easier in the NFC than AFC.  And the NFC west isn’t that tough as some are saying.

Niners are a mediocre team with the worst QB in the division and their best players coming off bad injuries and some that will not be back next year like Sherman.

Seattle was a mediocre team last year thanks to a pretty bad defense and bad OL, one so bad Wilson is unhappy and apparently wants out.  Even if he stays, it’s clear him and Carrol are not on the same page right now.  They dont have the assets or cap room to make significant improvements to what is a mediocre roster.

Rams started over at QB and we dont know how that will play out either.  Rams defense was not as good as its ranking either and has the makings of a unit that could fall out of the top 10 next year.  They have two elite players on that D, but rest of unit lacks consistency. 

No one in that division scares me.  Rams on paper have the most potential, but I would say the Cardinals right now are hands down the 2nd best roster heading into next year with the potential to win the division if (like with any young QB) Murray continues to take a step forward.  

Cardinals heading into next year remind me of where the Bills were heading into 2020.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

A healthy 49ers squad is a lot better than AZ. They have a far better coach, a great offensive scheme, and a better defense. They will be healthy next year. Garrapolo is pretty underrated too; he knows how to manage a team to victory (and that is not meant as a criticism).  It's as if people forget he was actually excellent in just about every stat category in 2019: 69.1 completion pct WHILE averaging 8.4 ypa, 4,000 yards passing, 102.0 rating, and a 27-13 TD/INT ratio. 

A far better coach?  You mean the coach that blew not one, but TWO Super Bowls with terrible coaching decisions?  I’m gonna have to disagree with that assessment on that alone.  Not saying Klingsbury is great, but can’t say a guy who blew it in two Super Bowls as an OC then HC is far superior.  Most Niners fans I know hate him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

7 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I am actually relieved after seeing the contract that he signed. 

That is a lot of money that will be better off spent elsewhere for us.

That's my exact take on it. He has 9 sacks the last two seasons. He hasn't been a highly impactful player since 2018 when he had 16 sacks. He is 32 this upcoming season and while for a DE that's not tragic (DE's can reasonably play at a peak or close to peak level from ages 32-33) but given his injury history and his decline since his 2018 level I wouldn't want to commit anything more than 8-9 million on a one year deal. Unless he has been a better more disruptive player than his sack totals would indicate the past two seasons I just am not committing 15.5 million aav to this type of player. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Cardinals already had a good defense. I'm meh on Murray, and Kyle Shanahan is probably 20x the coach Kliff Kingsbury is. I think SF's D is still better, and will be better. Gun to my head, I pick the Cards to finish 4th. I think everyone agrees that the Rams are at the top, and then I guess you can argue over second between the remaining 3.

You mean the same Kyle Shannahan that literally blew 2 SB wins with his terrible coaching decisions?  That Kyle?

Klingsbury has a lot to prove still, but Kyle isn’t any more proven and choked on the biggest stage twice.