Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

People wonder how you can sign players like Watt with little cap space. His cap hit in 2021 is only $4.9 million.  If the Bills signed Watt to the same contract and cut Addison they would have saved cap space. 

In a vacuum, yes they would have done it that way and pushed the cap hit forward if watt took their offer. They didn’t want to give him the full contract that Arizona did though so it’s moot. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

People wonder how you can sign players like Watt with little cap space. His cap hit in 2021 is only $4.9 million.  If the Bills signed Watt to the same contract and cut Addison they would have saved cap space. 

So Watt will be hitting Arizona’s cap in 2025 for $2.4m.  This is the NFL version of Bobby Bonilla. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So Watt will be hitting Arizona’s cap in 2025 for $2.4m.  This is the NFL version of Bobby Bonilla. 

I wonder if he is still getting paid?

2 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I wonder if he is still getting paid?

Yep just checked, Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid and will continue until 2035, the man will be 72 then. Incredible.

On a related note I feel the Saints are the closest team to this type of scenario.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, YoloinOhio said:

So deal is now reported as $28M with the potential for an additional $3M based upon sack numbers and other performance escalators.

Just a little point that there can be a lot of detail buried in the report of a certain dollar value contract.

Also this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-cardinals-overpaying-for-j-j-watt-raises-eyebrows-one-steelers-draft-target-stands-out/

There is a mystery being talked about in NFL circles right now. I've been asked the question myself by some personnel execs. I do not have the answer.  It goes a little something like this: Who the hell were the Cardinals bidding against for J.J. Watt? Who else was paying him $14M a year?

There were interested teams, for sure, but few felt the need to throw the kind of money around the Cardinals did, raising plenty of eyebrows in other front offices. Some teams I spoke to were thinking more like $10M a year. Others said they would consider $12M plus incentives. This is a player who has missed a lot of time with a slew of significant injuries, after all

So 🤷‍♂️

A Michael Lombardi article in The Athletic rips the Cardinals signing, stating they way over paid for him based on age, injury history.  I'd tend to agree for $15 mil or maybe a couple more you could sign one of the top edge rushers and one who is still much younger too.  Hopefully that is something the Bills are leaning towards.

Need subscription

https://theathletic.com/2426151/2021/03/04/lombardi-cardinals-overpaid-for-j-j-watt-plus-quarterback-rumors-galore/

On 3/4/2021 at 5:07 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Statements like this annoy me. Comes off like he’s more important than the other teammates and now that JJ watt is there they are beholden to him because he chose them.  

But he is more important than the other teammates...:wub:

• Disagree 1