Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

Watching press conference funny how Watt mentioned it is nice waking up to 65 degree weather. Az paid him the most money and they are a playoff contender which was sufficient for Watt. Looks like a paid vacation living in Arizona will see how much of an impact he will make there.

12 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Watching press conference funny how Watt mentioned it is nice waking up to 65 degree weather. Az paid him the most money and they are a playoff contender which was sufficient for Watt. Looks like a paid vacation living in Arizona will see how much of an impact he will make there.

I still have trouble seeing how Arizona is considered a playoff contender when their division has 2 teams LA and SF who still have a lot of the core roster that took them to Superbowls in recent years and the other team Seattle has been a consistent playoff contender.     Watt isn't going to magically make a middle of the pack defense top 5.  And its yet to be seen if Kyler can become a more complete QB.   When forced to stay in pocket his passing is very mediocre.    Remember that they finished 8-8 last year.  

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

I still have trouble seeing how Arizona is considered a playoff contender when their division has 2 teams LA and SF who still have a lot of the core roster that took them to Superbowls in recent years and the other team Seattle has been a consistent playoff contender.     Watt isn't going to magically make a middle of the pack defense top 5.  And its yet to be seen if Kyler can become a more complete QB.   When forced to stay in pocket his passing is very mediocre.    Remember that they finished 8-8 last year.  

Yeah, it's the other teams in their division plus all the contributors from last year they'll likely lose (they have just $14M in cap space and that's before Watt's deal eats-up all of it).  Meanwhile Watson showed that having a great statistical year doesn't ensure anything.

6 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

So it looks JJ Watt the Cardinals over the Bills because a Hail Mary pass catch by D Hopkins and good weather in the off-season. Lol… Funny how after the Hail Mary catch the Bills didn’t lose another game until the AFC Championship game and the great D Hopkins and Kyler Murphy was watching the playoffs from the living rooms.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/02/jj-watt-deandre-hopkins-buffalo-bills-arizona-cardinals/

That quote doesn't even make sense in the context of AZ vs. BUF because Diggs can also catch the ball anywhere on the field, and was better, statistically, than Hopkins.

My bet is Cardinals finish last in the NFC West, unless Wilson is actually traded.

Even with Watt I still see the Cards as a 9 win team.  I have no doubt their defense will be very good, but it all comes down to Quarterback in the NFL and I dont think Murray is ever going to be elite.  Make no mistake about he is a good Quarterback, but if you're serious about contending for a Super Bowl, you better have an elite player at that position.  There are outliers, I just dont see it in the division they play in.  

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Even with Watt I still see the Cards as a 9 win team.  I have no doubt their defense will be very good, but it all comes down to Quarterback in the NFL and I dont think Murray is ever going to be elite.  Make no mistake about he is a good Quarterback, but if you're serious about contending for a Super Bowl, you better have an elite player at that position.  There are outliers, I just dont see it in the division they play in.  

I don't agree for the reasons I mentioned above.  If it were a matter of adding Watt to their defense from last year, I'd agree.  But apparently Watt's cap hit in his first year will be $14.5M, which is a little more than the amount the Cardinals were under the cap, meaning they're going to have to clear a lot more room to sign even one of their 4 UFA starting defenders, especially when factoring they'll need $5M for rookies.

8 hours ago, prissythecat said:

With the number of playoff teams expanding they have a shot next year. They barely missed out this year and it is hard to go by past performances as the league changes from year to year. Rams were also 8-8 this year and just snuck in.

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

With the number of playoff teams expanding they have a shot next year. They barely missed out this year and it is hard to go by past performances as the league changes from year to year. Rams were also 8-8 this year and just snuck in.

Did you mean the Bears?  The Rams were 10-6 this past regular season....

2 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Playoffs expanded to 7 teams per conference last year. I don’t believe any more teams will be added to the playoff pool in 2021??

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billieve420 said:

It isn’t expanding. It expanded last year and they didnt get in because Mitchell trubisky was Better, yikes 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 3/2/2021 at 9:50 PM, Doc said:

How do you figure?

The offense is more than good enough.  A healthy Chandler Jones and now Watt, plus whatever other pieces they add in free agency and the draft...

Look at the leap Buffalo made from 2019 to 2020.

12 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The offense is more than good enough.  A healthy Chandler Jones and now Watt, plus whatever other pieces they add in free agency and the draft...

Look at the leap Buffalo made from 2019 to 2020.

For the reasons I mentioned earlier in the thread, they're more likely to stay the same or get worse than to be the best team in the NFC.

Edited by Doc

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Statements like this annoy me. Comes off like he’s more important than the other teammates and now that JJ watt is there they are beholden to him because he chose them.  

Good thing they got Watt now because they sure weren't going to do it for Kliff apparently.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Statements like this annoy me. Comes off like he’s more important than the other teammates and now that JJ watt is there they are beholden to him because he chose them.  

Sure worked in Houston last year...

• Haha (+1) 1