Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

What are you talking about? SF almost took the lead with less than two minutes to go. Garappolo slightly overthrew Sanders; otherwise it'd have been six. Regardless, if you're complaining about a coach losing a very close super bowl as opposed to an offensive-minded coach (Kingsbury) leading a team to 19 total points in the final two weeks of the 2020 season when the playoffs were in the Cards' grasp, I don't know what to say.    

That 49ers team wasn't supposed to be that good, either. He juiced every last bit of value from that roster.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals had hype last year, some chatter about Murray being in the MVP conversation (lol) and traded for a top 5 WR, and finished the season about as pathetically as humanly possible.

I guess it's easier to not lose in the Superbowl if you never get there in the first place...ah now I see. Kliff is a genius!

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Well I hope this means that Beane wouldn’t go above a certain number for Watt because he thinks there’s better free agents out there he can land.  

Regardless of if they are or aren't, there's no way I'd want to spend that much on Watt. I wanted Watt, but 23 million guaranteed...yikes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

That 49ers team wasn't supposed to be that good, either. He juiced every last bit of value from that roster.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals had hype last year, some chatter about Murray being in the MVP conversation (lol) and traded for a top 5 WR, and finished the season about as pathetically as humanly possible.

I guess it's easier to not lose in the Superbowl if you never get there in the first place...ah now I see. Kliff is a genius!

Regardless of if they are or aren't, there's no way I'd want to spend that much on Watt. I wanted Watt, but 23 million guaranteed...yikes.

Kliff is lost when it comes to clock management and the like. He’s the worst HC in that division. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Kliff is lost when it comes to clock management and the like. He’s the worst HC in that division. 

Also, somewhat irrelevant, but who spells Kliff with a K? I can't trust a guy like that.

I really can't believe anyone actually believes that Kyle Shanahan is a bad coach and worse than Kingsbury, who is awful.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Rubes said:

To be honest, if he wasn't coming to the Bills, that's probably as good a place as any. Not in the AFC, and probably buried somewhere in the NFC.

I would not be bothered at all having him in the AFC, its not like it's Deshawn Watson going to the Dolphins.  Watt wont change the win/loss record in any noticeable way.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They were a serious option ... regardless of the money 

The Athletic article directly contradicts that:

By last week, Watt had offers in the neighborhood of $20 million guaranteed. The Bills didn’t offer that much and weren’t compelled to do so when they weren’t the highest offer. Those offers helped Watt get an even better contract from the Cardinals that is reportedly worth $23 million guaranteed and $31 million total over two years. That was a price the Bills weren’t going to to touch.

Sounds like there were multiple teams that guaranteed $20 million and the Bills weren't one of them. Doesn't seem like Matthew Fairburn is just speculating. I think this information comes directly from the Bills. 

Edited by HappyDays

8 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Since there’s no way you’re cutting a guy you just signed before he plays a game, his first year salary and signing bonus are implicitly guaranteed.  So if the Bills offered 2 years $25m, that’s not that far from 2 years $31m regardless of the guarantees.  Beane clearly sees the need to upgrade the DL if we were that involved with Watt sweepstakes.  If $6m over 2 years was the difference, I really hope that means Beane is gonna go out and get a difference maker in free agency.  

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Athletic article directly contradicts that:

Sounds like there were multiple teams that guaranteed $20 million and the Bills weren't one of them. Doesn't seem like Matthew Fairburn is just speculating. I think this information comes directly from the Bills. 

I read the article and that’s what I’m saying. Both can be true. They didn’t offer the most, the same, or the second most. They also could have been the biggest competition to him signing in Arizona, regardless of the money. He may have been very interested in playing for the Bills. He took the money instead. Along with a scheme that he knows and great weather etc. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok, close. But that was in the context of playing for the Texans and their plans back in November. Bit of a stretch when talking about the recent FA situation.

I wouldnt call the Cardinals a re-build either.

How was that a stretch? "I don't have 10 years left. I want to win a championship, that's what I want" is about as unambiguous as it gets.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

According to this the Bills weren't even in the ballpark of the highest offer. So they were never a serious option to get him, turns out he was just chasing the money.

It's alleged that Watt was seen renting a copy of  'Jerry Maguire' from a Redbox in rural Wisconsin.  Should have made sure there was only copies of 'The Mighty Ducks'. 😡

1 minute ago, Irv said:

Have not read all the responses but Watt eerily reminds me of Mario Williams.  Not sure it's such a big loss not signing him.  

I don't know why so many forget that Mario Williams was REALLY GOOD for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Lebron James raised millions of dollars for the Boys and Girls Club and other charities while stringing along viewers for 75 minutes. He gets the Decision thrown back at him every legacy discussion. 

JJ Watt created fake peloton account and strung multiple teams and fan bases along on social media over several weeks. He will get the Youtube video of when he "married" a little girl played back to him just to see if he remembers how charming he was. This is indicative of the major problem in our society. An issue we are inherently blind to because we're too close to the problem.  

Its hairline discrimination and its wrong. Lebron can't help genetics. He gets his hairline fixed and somehow he gets even more criticism. Meanwhile JJ Watt has hairline privilege and enjoys all the benefits therein. You all need to educate yourselves. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

JJ Watt is one of my favorite non-Bills players but that signing announcement was a little cheesy.

i was with you until the 19 wildcard where we had to hear about Watts return basically being on par with the discovery of fire and the wheel..... and then hearing over and over and over again about how his one sack(that we still got points off of) was apparently the turning point of the whole season for the texans. I could never here watts name again, after that game, and be perfectly fine with it.

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I don't know why so many forget that Mario Williams was REALLY GOOD for the Bills.

In the first couple of years - agree.  But at the end he put no effort in.  Didn't even try to rush - just stood there playing patty cakes with the OL.   

44 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

How was that a stretch? "I don't have 10 years left. I want to win a championship, that's what I want" is about as unambiguous as it gets.

Because he said it back in November when addressing specifically the long term plan of the Houston Texans, and what the Texans should do. A lot changed since then.

Plus, he never said "I want to win a championship, and I dont care about money". So while he realized that he doesnt have 10 years left, and wants to win a championship, he also realized "I have to make as much money in that small window as I can".

I was looking for quotes he put out since his release as it pertains to his Free Agency. There arent any. In any direction. Everything that folks said about what he would want were all just made-up guesses.

29 minutes ago, Irv said:

In the first couple of years - agree.  But at the end he put no effort in.  Didn't even try to rush - just stood there playing patty cakes with the OL.   

The Rex Effect

29 minutes ago, Irv said:

1st 3 years, 38 (14.5 in 3rd year) sacks and good run support. Started to hit the wall in 2015 and then off the team. 2nd or 3rd best pass pass rusher we've probably ever had in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because he said it back in November when addressing specifically the long term plan of the Houston Texans, and what the Texans should do. A lot changed since then.

Plus, he never said "I want to win a championship, and I dont care about money". So while he realized that he doesnt have 10 years left, and wants to win a championship, he also realized "I have to make as much money in that small window as I can".

I was looking for quotes he put out since his release as it pertains to his Free Agency. There arent any. In any direction. Everything that folks said about what he would want were all just made-up guesses.

The Rex Effect

I don't want to egg this on, but what changed, exactly? I actually think what's transpired makes the quote more relevant. He didn't see himself winning with Texas, so he left. He proceeded to join a team that also won't win. He was always going to have to take less to go to a contender, he knows that, so he chose money. I would not fault him had he not blown smoke up everyone's ass about his Superbowl aspirations.