Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

Would you trade pick #30 for one of WFT’s Defensive lineman not named chase young?    They need a QB more than anything and are short draft assets to either trade for one or move up in the draft.  If rivera is following the Beane model, they will go all in to find their franchise QB.  And they aren’t gonna be able to pay Allen, Payne and Sweat in addition to Young.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Would you trade pick #30 for one of WFT’s Defensive lineman not named chase young?    They need a QB more than anything and are short draft assets to either trade for one or move up in the draft.  If rivera is following the Beane model, they will go all in to find their franchise QB.  And they aren’t gonna be able to pay Allen, Payne and Sweat in addition to Young.  

Jonathan Allen, yes

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I would do it for Sweat for sure.  Still on a rookie deal w 5th year option

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo could have offered less, but still been Watt's #2 choice.

He obviously was looking for a combination of pay and chance of winning.

Sounds like he thinks he got the best combo in AZ, but he considered Buffalo to be 2nd best.

That's how I read this.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Very odd.  I doubt you'd find many people who think this moves makes the Cardinals even a playoff team, much less a SB team.

I think the Cardinals have a very good chance to be a playoff team. Don't see them as a Superbowl contender.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No people are saying the Cardinals are not even a playoff team and the worst team in the division.  And since when is a team being a "contender" suddenly a statement of being a "lock".  You're just being absurd now and you know it.

I said they are an ascending team...it was pretty clear what I said.  

You said they'd be a contender.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But, AZ isn’t a bad choice for him.  That’s a team on the rise that is expected to contend next year.  Defense was solid already and offense is getting better each year as Kyler grows.

Which I mean contend for a playoff spot sure, for the SB no not really and that's what was implied to be what Watt was looking for.

I call BS. If money wasn’t the main factor, then why was this so absurdly public? And the “leaked” salary requirements? What was the point of dragging multiple fanbases on social media? I can’t hate the man as a person given all of his charity work, but I have to say i’ve lost some respect for him as a player with all these histrionics.

He didn’t even do anything particularly clever like ask the fanbases of said team to donate the most to charity to influence his decision. That would have been something.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You said they'd be a contender.

Which I mean contend for a playoff spot sure, for the SB no not really and that's what was implied to be what Watt was looking for.

Why cant they contend for a Super Bowl?  They will have a good defense next year and an ascending offense.  If Murray takes another step in his 3rd year like Josh did, they could be a very good team.  Im not saying they are the favorite, but they are a team on the rise as long as one believes in Murray, and most do, including myself, that Murray should get better in his 3rd year.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I call BS. If money wasn’t the main factor, then why was this so absurdly public? And the “leaked” salary requirements? What was the point of dragging multiple fanbases on social media? I can’t hate the man as a person given all of his charity work, but I have to say i’ve lost some respect for him as a player with all these histrionics.

He didn’t even do anything particularly clever like ask the fanbases of said team to donate the most to charity to influence his decision. That would have been something.

He did call out donations as “bribes” 

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He couldn’t be paid to hitch his wagon to baker and wentz

i really need to know what Beane offered 

I suspect the $23M guaranteed on a 2-year deal was what drove his decision.  Lots of details to consider when it comes to contracts - guarantees, length, structure/backloading.  I heard the Browns offered $13.5M/yr earlier in the process.  No idea if they increased that or not.  Even at $13.5M AAV if it was for a a 3 year deal, then that’s $40.5M and they technically offered more in a way. Lots gets said about contract offers, but without details none of it really means much.

I think Watt was a phenomenal player and that he’s still good.  I’m glad we didn’t pay him what ‘Zona did though.  That’s just too much for a rotational 32 year old pass rusher.  Heck, I thought $13.5M would've too much unless it was a longer deal that was backloaded.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Exactly I thought he wanted to be on a contender. Arizona is not even close to being one. But good riddance honestly, I’m glad Beane didn’t overpay for Watt

I thought his wife wanted to eat chicken  wings

I guess they can fly them in from duffs

41 minutes ago, DJB said:

giphy.gif

I read in this very thread that, since no other media outlet had previously mentioned the Cardinals as a possible suitor for Watt, that any and all reports of contact with any other teams, let alone actual offers,  is "made up", i.e. never happened.

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I suspect the $23M guaranteed was what drove his decision.  

Yeah, I don't think he  cared who was his next QB...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I read in this very thread that, since no other media outlet had previously mentioned the Cardinals as a possible suitor for Watt, that any and all reports of contact with any other teams, let alone actual offers,  is "made up", i.e. never happened.

And I read elsewhere here that if someone quotes an anonymous person as the source of a story, than you should assume its true as no one would ever make that up to drive clicks or generate publicity for themselves...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

And I read elsewhere here that if someone quotes an anonymous person as the source of a story, than you should assume its true as no one would ever make that up to drive clicks or generate publicity for themselves...

Turns out the reports of other teams offering him money were obviously true, so I don't know what your angle is at this point.