Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

7 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I guess two out of three weren't as big a deal.  A ring and QB a guess didn't matter.  I like Murray but he will never be upper tier QB

No, Murray will never be a top 10 qb. Arizona was a hail mary away from being 7-9. This was a final contract payday for JJ in warm weather. And as many have said I'd prefer a younger Ngakoue with more upside and less pricey. 

Buffalo (and Cleveland and Green Bay) could not compete against the Phoenix weather, marketability for Watt's "brand", and, most importantly, former teammate DeAndre Hopkins, who convinced him to go to Arizona.

Edited by chongli

If the Bills were 2nd in the running that means Beane made a serious offer. So even though this didn't work out I'm positive we'll sign an upper tier pass rusher this offseason. Like how after trying to trade for Antonio Brown he turned around and traded for Diggs. The best Bills pass rusher of 2021 is not on the team yet IMO.

• Agree 3

Yes,  in the end, Watt is full of himself and full of it. Even Dan Patrick said his free agency was annoying. I did think he was a decent fit, but thought he'd come much cheaper. Was thinking 10-12 million per year range. I'm cool with not getting him. Let's move on. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I get all of this, but he turned SF into a well-oiled dominator in 2019 and oversaw a great Falcons offense in that SB season. Yeah, they lost, but it wasn't as if they lost to bad teams; they were great teams. And the games were obviously extremely close. The 2016 Falcons were #1 overall in offense and the 2019 Niners' offense was #2 in points and #4 in yards. He's doing something right. And let's not forget that both of those teams blew teams out in the playoffs during those SB years. I can't get hung up on one or two plays. With regard to Kingsbury, the Cardinals' showing at the end of this season was beyond pathetic. I guarantee you that if he had done that in Buffalo, the fans on this site would have ridden him out of town on a rail. 

I think is a good coach but the facts he has 1 winning season and has a career record of 29-35 (13-3 in his only non losing season completely inflates that). If he has another losing year, I won’t be shocked if he got fired. 

5 minutes ago, chongli said:

Buffalo (and Cleveland and Green Bay) could not compete against the Phoenix weather, marketability for Watt's "brand", and, most importantly, former teammate DeAndre Hopkins, who convinced him to go to Arizona.

Or money.  Buffalo has a bigger NFL profile than Arizona. No one cares about that franchise. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

I can't help but feel that Buffalo was the perfect fit for Watt.

Between the team culture, the fact that he'd get to play for McDermott and Frazier (who would surely put him in position to succeed), the fact that our great medical facilities and the way the Bills rotate D-linemen would likely extend his career, and the fact that the Bills are LEGITIMATE Super Bowl contenders (as opposed to the Cardinals)....It would have been an awesome addition. I imagined Watt doing for the Bills defense what Diggs did for the Bills offense, from a "setting an example", leadership, and productivity standpoint.

All that having been said, $15million is an awful lot for a 32-year-old player with an injury history.

In the end, Watt chose weather, money, and to play in a defensive scheme with which he is familiar and to join a teammate with whom he is familiar. Such is life.

On to the next "Free Agent Watch 2021" candidate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

iSo it was about money and not winning a super bowl.   

many of us originally said It was about the money so he can retire. 

Because its about money, are you going to get JJ 100% every play?

Knowing he went for the money and not the title the easy answer is no.

Glad Buffalo was not the highest bidder.

I billieve in the process