Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

Just now, blacklabel said:

Close enough, right? I don't think we have to split hairs over context or whatever. It's pretty plain to see that he wanted to go somewhere with a chance at a championship in the next few years. I don't think AZ is that team. They're not in a rebuild, obviously, but I think they're a bit further away than some other teams. 

Not trying to be a homer but I truly believe the guy could've flourished here. To each his own.

That said, I wholeheartedly wanna see AZ go 2-14 this year. 

Ehh, not really. That was his public message to Houston, the team he was on at the time, and under contract with. Could have simply been a way to set the stage to push to be released (which worked!).

Different situation once he is actually a Free Agent. I'm looking for anything he said in the past month regarding any guidelines of who he would sign with. My guess is there isnt anything, because he would be stupid to disqualify teams before he saw their offers.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I think both sides are dumb here, but I understand chasing that money while you can. I dont know of any quotes from the last month that would make him a "liar".

I wanted to see him signed in Buffalo and agree he could have done well here, but I'm not upset or offended he went elsewhere. Especially when that team is in the NFC.

Onward and Upward!

Bummer.  Would have been nice to have a future HOF'er to bolster the defense, but that does seem like a lot of money for a guy at his age and recent production.  Wouldn't be surprised if the weather wasn't a factor in his decision as well.  The warm weather and domed stadiums of the NFC West is a lot easier on an aging dude like Watt.

Only team in the NFC West you can pencil to make the playoffs is the Rams.

I know people are in love with Shanahan & the 9ers, but there is still a QB problem on there hands & while they have great talent like Kittle, Bosa, Trent, Deebo...that talent is injury prone. Shanahan is obviously a good HC, but even he can’t overcome without elite talent.

I think Seattle & Russ will have a rough marriage this season. On paper, I don’t even think they’re much better than AZ. We’ll see though.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The goal is to win a championship.

Many think the Bills are a superstar talent along the defensive line away from that.

That contract is steep, but if paying Watt that amount translated to a SB I would've been all for it. Hoping they pursue Von Miller. 

I wonder if Watt is still a huge difference maker, though. I don't really know, but I kind of doubt he is.

Von Miller might be interesting if we can afford him.

He must have a huge ego, playing with the twitter tease and all that.  I think he would have been a perfect short term guy for our team, but I think we are planning on being a long term success here.  Immediately after hearing about his deal, I'm betting Beane moved on with the goal of making this a better team.  

I told my wife he can use the extra few million to buy a really comfortable chair to sit in as he watches the Bills win the Super Bowl.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I wouldn’t write off the Cardinals as a contender.  Murray will be in his third year as a starter and their defense was already pretty good, even without Watt.  I mean, they did beat the Bills, didn’t they?

There is nothing that points to the Cards being a serious contender this year......I mean in the end I am fine with this if I woke up and found out that the bills paid JJ Watt 15 million plus I would have been very upset.

• Like (+1) 1

Watt showed his motivation.  He had a choice to make.  Championship or one last big contract.  He made his choice.  Bills will improve through the draft and deft FA signings

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Don't worry guys.  Watt wont sniff a Superbowl in the next two years there.  He will then hit free agency one last time to try and get one.  The Bills will pick him up on a small one year deal.  Watt will be too broken and washed up by then.  By game 4 he will retire.

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The goal is to win a championship.

Many think the Bills are a superstar talent along the defensive line away from that.

That contract is steep, but if paying Watt that amount translated to a SB I would've been all for it. Hoping they pursue Von Miller. 

Watt was said not wanting to chase a ring on a cut rate contract.  He wanted the big bucks.