Washington [Edit:] released Alex Smith (still wants to play)

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought part of Alex Smith's "beef" was that he wasn't in the playoffs...they sat him and started that chap who'd been hitting the books at Old Dominion two weeks previously?

Sorry, you are correct...I was thinking the Philly game that he won with them, to clinch the playoff spot.

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

To be fair, neither of us knows this. Let's not pretend that we do. I was clearly using the OP's phrasing. And I will argue that he IS a better option, moving forward, than Barkley. At no point would anyone compare him to Allen, so I'm not sure why you included him in your first line.

You said that he knew the offense well.. based on running a few "practices"?  Since he's mainly been used as a practice player (and really, not at all exclusively as a QB), there's no chance he knows the offense as well as Josh or Barkley.  Maybe Fromm. So it doesn't make sense to conclude the the QB the coaches have never put into a game, who has never played a game in the NFL, who has never been on a roster....would be the perfect backup QB for the Bills.

It's really no simpler than that.

10 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Per Ian Rapoport.

Perfect backup to Josh. Veteran that has won a ton of games in the NFL, good leader, good athlete even after the injury, limited arm strength but wont kill you.  Alex Smith is the perfect backup QB to come in for 1-4 games and not kill you.

Anything but the perfect backup. Too expensive in a year when we can't afford it.

He'll likely want to start anyway. Might easily find a team that will be happy to let him.

I wish him the best of luck.

10 hours ago, H2o said:

Smith was a great story this year, the fact he was able to see the field and be semi-successful. Imo, he should hang it up. He's almost 37 years old, has plenty of money, and did what they never thought he would after 17 surgeries. At this point why risk anything further. He has nothing to prove to himself or anyone else. 

What you think he has to prove is beside the point. As is what I think about it.

What matters is what Alex Smith thinks. And while none of us can know, looking at his actions seems to show he believes that he can start and in the right situation maybe compete for a championship. Which really is what all good QBs believe and should believe. 

You'd think Brady has nothing to prove either, and yet he plainly feels he does.

Many don't seem to want to watch Smith. Thing is, it's his leg, his body, not ours. I tip my cap to the guy

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, dpberr said:

There is no reason for the Bills to pursue him. 

For any team that would want him to be QB1, he's in Cam Newton territory.  He will play at a very high level for games 1-4 before re-injuring the repaired body part.  

He would be an ideal QB2, for say Green Bay where the entire season rides or dies with the health of Aaron Rodgers, and Rodgers would not be intimidated with having a former #1 overall and long time starter hanging around.  

Lol. Sarcasm, right?

The reality is that Smith was only starting because Kyle Allen got hurt, WFT was in desperation mode to keep their playoff hopes alive in a ridiculous year where their entire division was bad. Alex Smith was not going to beat out Heinicke or Kyle Allen, otherwise he'd still be there. Great comeback story, but he just isn't very good anymore. The only way I see him finding a team next year, is if the team drafts one of the more raw rookies (Fields/Lance) and want him to mentor. Nobody is signing him to start.

42 minutes ago, 947 said:

The reality is that Smith was only starting because Kyle Allen got hurt, WFT was in desperation mode to keep their playoff hopes alive in a ridiculous year where their entire division was bad. Alex Smith was not going to beat out Heinicke or Kyle Allen, otherwise he'd still be there. Great comeback story, but he just isn't very good anymore. The only way I see him finding a team next year, is if the team drafts one of the more raw rookies (Fields/Lance) and want him to mentor. Nobody is signing him to start.

A lot of teams will want him as a mentor or get backup. But his days as a unquestionable starter are done as you said. Hope for his sake and all the work he put in that he hangs around as a high and back to another year or two, he deserves to be around the game.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Washington [Edit: now released] Alex Smith (still wants to play)
On 3/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, Seoulofstone said:

I know this guy has a lot of fans and it's a great comeback story if that's your thing. But I just don't get why a guy who had such a significant injury, who has made that much money, and who has a young family could think that playing on is a sensible decision.

He's not going to win a superbowl because he isn't good enough. I know that he has a great reputation as a mentor, but really? His comments seem really driven by ego and self-centered. I just don't get it. Most of all I hope he doesn't get badly hurt because he can't walk away.

I'd like to read these if you have sources.  I'm rooting for the guy, but if that's a bubble that needs to burst, so be it.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, Seoulofstone said:

I know this guy has a lot of fans and it's a great comeback story if that's your thing. But I just don't get why a guy who had such a significant injury, who has made that much money, and who has a young family could think that playing on is a sensible decision.

He's not going to win a superbowl because he isn't good enough. I know that he has a great reputation as a mentor, but really? His comments seem really driven by ego and self-centered. I just don't get it. Most of all I hope he doesn't get badly hurt because he can't walk away.

Smith is a standup dude, Washington is known to be a scum organization top down. He's not playing after 10 concussions so it's not like he's putting his family at risk. He's passionate about what he does, and might regret retiring before he was ready. I'm scratching my head as to why you or anyone else would think he's in the wrong here

If he wants a chance at starting i could see him going to Chicago reunite with Nagy.

I cant imagine working that hard to comeback and not try to compete for a starting job

Edited by uticaclub