Washington [Edit:] released Alex Smith (still wants to play)

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This was posted in the Shoutbox

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/alex-smith-tees-off-on-washington-football-team-in-interview

It references a GQ interview I don't have a link to.

Also points to these as Rivera quotes that particularly bothered Smith:

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/these-ron-rivera-quotes-rubbed-alex-smith-the-wrong-way

Question: Could you have been in this position this year right now where you are before the playoffs without Alex?

"Well, if we had a healthy Kyle Allen, I think we could've. I really do," Rivera said. "I think we could've. And a big part of the reason is because Kyle, he's very similar to Alex in terms of his abilities. He's got the same kind of arm. He makes good decisions like Alex does. He's got good footwork. I think we could've been. I do."

pic.twitter.com/691mUGrTxd

— Chris Lingebach (@ChrisLingebach) February 23, 2021

"The other is apparently not getting to play in the playoff game did not sit well with him at all," Paulsen said. "That, maybe he wanted to go in that playoff game, something that I haven't thought a whole lot about."

"I hadn't considered that," Danny Rouhier said. "This was always my thought. If he could have gone, they probably wouldn't have started the guy that was taking online classes at ODU as recently as a week before."

Talked to several people in/around #WashingtonFootball team. I've come up with 2 primary things that may have frustrated Smith enough to say what he did to GQ.

1) Not getting to start the playoff game.
2) Rivera's comment that Allen could've turned season around like Smith did.

— Grant Paulsen (@granthpaulsen) February 23, 2021

Comparison of Kyle Allen and Alex Smith last season:

image.thumb.png.35ce422d0a9338d405434acacae07bd9.png

https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/

Washington incurs an $8.6M dead cap hit if they cut or trade Alex Smith pre-June1

A trade partner becomes liable for $19M salary this year and $21M salary next.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

It's not like he's doing this under his own guidance. I mean, Dak Prescott is coming back after a similar injury. The broken leg was like 20% of Smith's issue. The reason he missed so much time was because of the flesh eating bacteria he contracted. He's got doctor approval to play, and as a backup we would actually be ensuring he doesn't land somewhere as a starter.

It would also be kind of fitting that the guy who mentored Mahomes would take on the same role with Allen, which seems to be something he actually embraces.

I understand. But, did you watch him in the playoffs?  He is not mobile at all, and looks like a sitting duck.  Him ending up as a starter somewhere does not scare me as a Bills fan...it scares me for him.

34 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I understand. But, did you watch him in the playoffs?  He is not mobile at all, and looks like a sitting duck.  Him ending up as a starter somewhere does not scare me as a Bills fan...it scares me for him.

Oh, what I meant by starter somewhere else just means that he'd be putting himself in danger a lot less often here, not that I'm scared of the team that signs him.

• Like (+1) 1

There is no reason for the Bills to pursue him. 

For any team that would want him to be QB1, he's in Cam Newton territory.  He will play at a very high level for games 1-4 before re-injuring the repaired body part.  

He would be an ideal QB2, for say Green Bay where the entire season rides or dies with the health of Aaron Rodgers, and Rodgers would not be intimidated with having a former #1 overall and long time starter hanging around.  

30 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Based on his experience in and comfort with the system, his size, sneaky athleticism, and inexpensiveness. 

Experience??  He's been in the league (kind of) 1 year longer than Josh. He's never played a down. The Bills are his 3rd team in 3 years. 

Maybe you are thinking of Joe Webb (package)?

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He has narrowed it down to 7 interested teams

So the other 25 have a good chance of signing him!

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't see it?  Do you have a link?

Basically stated Washington didn't want him at all, didn't expect him to come back, and didn't think he'd be at all capable of playing.  Once he stated playing  they came around, but was very awkward early on.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Experience??  He's been in the league (kind of) 1 year longer than Josh. He's never played a down. The Bills are his 3rd team in 3 years. 

Maybe you are thinking of Joe Webb (package)?

Experience in the system is what I typed. 

Webb knows the offense well (as evidenced by his running of last summer's voluntary practices, for example). 

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Experience in the system is what I typed. 

Webb knows the offense well (as evidenced by his running of last summer's voluntary practices, for example). 

Better than Barkley?  Josh?  

He "ran" a few informal practices.  They use him in practice to play QB, WR, ST, even DB.  He's a practice body.  He may be a decent position coach some day, but any claim that he's the perfect backup QB for the Bills is not based in reality.  Ask any of the Bills coaching staff. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Better than Barkley?  Josh?  

He "ran" a few informal practices.  They use him in practice to play QB, WR, ST, even DB.  He's a practice body.  He may be a decent position coach some day, but any claim that he's the perfect backup QB for the Bills is not based in reality.  Ask any of the Bills coaching staff. 

To be fair, neither of us knows this. Let's not pretend that we do. I was clearly using the OP's phrasing. And I will argue that he IS a better option, moving forward, than Barkley. At no point would anyone compare him to Allen, so I'm not sure why you included him in your first line.

I think its going to be very hard for him to find a team.   As much as he wants to think Washington didnt want him around was due to the new coaching staff, I think them not wanting him around had more to do with him being a liability.   I winced every time I watched the guy drop back this year.  The story is incredible, and I am glad he got to show his kids about resiliency, but I think its going to be amazingly hard for him to find a team.   Not because he is a bad football player, but because watching him play after everything he went through is scary.  I wouldnt want to be the team that put him out there.

28 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

To be fair, neither of us knows this. Let's not pretend that we do. I was clearly using the OP's phrasing. And I will argue that he IS a better option, moving forward, than Barkley. At no point would anyone compare him to Allen, so I'm not sure why you included him in your first line.

Agreed.....

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

I thought part of Alex Smith's "beef" was that he wasn't in the playoffs...they sat him and started that chap who'd been hitting the books at Old Dominion two weeks previously?

• Like (+1) 1