Mike Preston: Social media has changed the narrative for NFL players, and it is not good

21 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Do you have kids?  Social media is terrifying.  They spend their time on it (or their friends do) at a young age, and internalize the “like/dislike” dynamic, plus one mistake they make will follow them around for life potentially.  It’s horrible.  (And my parents’ generation is worse!  Baby Boomers on Facebook is possibly the worst thing that has happened in this century.  They fill their time with Facebook-surfing for cat videos, conspiracy theories, stupid memes and lame jokes, hokey sayings of encouragement, pictures of their new kitchens, etc.  THE WORST.)

I abhor cat videos but I will show you my kitchen remodel 😂

Not trying to get into social engineering here, but in the most general of terms, women have a very different approach to regulating social media among kids than dads do, and a lot of that is because girls are taught from a very young age, how to communicate real thoughts and emotions with other kids and people. Boys learn to pretend emotions don't exist and only communicate that they're tough.

Again, that's a VERY generalized viewpoint, on a prevalent issues that's ripping through society today, and has a BUNCH of nuanced factors.

Reason I'm bringing this up, is that most of the powers the be in the NFL are men, and again as a general rule of thumb, generations prior to millennials, men weren't taught how to deal with emotions. That's  central to the issues we're having with Social media.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Do you have kids?  Social media is terrifying.  They spend their time on it (or their friends do) at a young age, and internalize the “like/dislike” dynamic, plus one mistake they make will follow them around for life potentially.  It’s horrible.  (And my parents’ generation is worse!  Baby Boomers on Facebook is possibly the worst thing that has happened in this century.  They fill their time with Facebook-surfing for cat videos, conspiracy theories, stupid memes and lame jokes, hokey sayings of encouragement, pictures of their new kitchens, etc.  THE WORST.)

Facebook and Twitter did to Boomers what they said violent video games and rap lyrics would do to us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

That's for sure, social media is already the fourth estate. It seems to me that in any field and topic, social media can set the pace and trajectory of events. They are also the best at shaping discourse.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:59 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

aby Boomers on Facebook is possibly the worst thing that has happened in this century.  They fill their time with Facebook-surfing for cat videos, conspiracy theories, stupid memes and lame jokes, hokey sayings of encouragement, pictures of their new kitchens, etc.  THE WORST.)

Sounds like Off the Wall is the Bills Facebook.

2 hours ago, Mark90 said:

That's for sure, social media is already the fourth estate. It seems to me that in any field and topic, social media can set the pace and trajectory of events. They are also the best at shaping discourse.

Solid necro, bro.