2 round line draft

5 hours ago, mabden said:

I was thinking in terms of starting this year.  I think Morse is too valuable at center, knowledge/experience wise, and provides continuity, especially for Allen.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they move on from Morse after this year... a lot of people think he is a chance to be moved on this offseason...

I wouldn’t mind them taking a swing in the draft this year and give him a year to learn...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would usually agree.

We havent been in this situation in a long time.....it is at the END of the 2nd round.  I dont think Shelvin makes it to our 3rd pick.

Would have no problem trading down from our 2nd to take him or moving up into the low 3rd to get him.

I just think these are the types of players we need.

What if we traded back with our first pick, picked up an early 3rd round pick in exchange.

Then we could pick up Dickerson, maybe an OT or LB with our second round pick, and then Shelvin in the early 3rd? :)

3 minutes ago, hjnick said:

What if we traded back with our first pick, picked up an early 3rd round pick in exchange.

Then we could pick up Dickerson, maybe an OT or LB with our second round pick, and then Shelvin in the early 3rd? :)

Yeah I am wondering if the Watt news today changes up our draft strategy a bit......might be a trade  up year

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I am wondering if the Watt news today changes up our draft strategy a bit......might be a trade  up year

I hope not.  I think this year's draft looks really good for a trade back and picking up extra picks.  Seems to be pretty deep this year.

Seeing Shelvin listed as 6'3", 346 lb.  Ted Washington: 6'6", 365 lb.  Vince Wilfork: 6' 1 3/8", 340 lb.  I know it's not a weight competition, but Shelvin's big enough.  Someone else can tell me about his ability to anchor or lateral movement but if he were no worse than Star his first year...........  

23 hours ago, In Summary said:

Seeing Shelvin listed as 6'3", 346 lb.  Ted Washington: 6'6", 365 lb.  Vince Wilfork: 6' 1 3/8", 340 lb.  I know it's not a weight competition, but Shelvin's big enough.  Someone else can tell me about his ability to anchor or lateral movement but if he were no worse than Star his first year...........  

I think Big Ted was closer to 400 than he was to 340. I also think that he was shorter than 6'6".

Jmo.

In a supposedly deep O-line class I would rather do my best to resign D.Williams and Mongo and draft a O-line player in round 3 to take over longer term for Mongo or D.Williams and provide short term depth/competition. Given that O-line play is rarely "plug and play" high up in the draft I wouldn't want to count on a rookie even a first rounder protecting Josh at a critical position esp if you have an established fairly young option at both positions. 

57 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think Big Ted was closer to 400 than he was to 340. I also think that he was shorter than 6'6".

Jmo.

Probably right.  Ted had a range of reported weights.  I mention those two guys as examples of tackles I remember as dominant and frustrating to opponents.  When the Bills had the Ted Washington - Pat Williams tandem they were solid up the middle.  I felt Wilfork could shed engage/disengage as needed.  I don't expect to reproduce Washington-Williams exactly as now at least one of your DT's (even front) is expected to generate some pass rush.  Just hoping to see less 2nd level runs that require our safeties to make the tackle.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2021 at 4:25 PM, John from Riverside said:

I would absolutely not be upset if this happened

1st - Landon Dickerson - C/OG.  This would be especially important if we did need to give RT Williams a large contract to keep him and have to let Mongo go........slips right in at RG plug and play AND has position flexibility.

2nd - Tyler Shelvin - DT.  We dont know what we are getting with Star after a year off but even if we do Star has a enormous contract.   Love this guys game.

Both of these guys could conceivably be there at these picks so its not unrealistic.   Both of these guys huge and nasty.  We got owned at the LOS in last year's playoffs.

The DT I've been reading a bit more on is Togiai from The OSU. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tommy-togiai-nfl-draft-player-profile-ohio-state-running-back/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, John from Riverside said:

I would usually agree.

We havent been in this situation in a long time.....it is at the END of the 2nd round.  I dont think Shelvin makes it to our 3rd pick.

Would have no problem trading down from our 2nd to take him or moving up into the low 3rd to get him.

I just think these are the types of players we need.

I'm late to the party on this.  I just watched LSU v. Alabama 2019, full game.  Shelvin (matching up with future NFLers Leatherwood, Dickerson, D. Brown, and Jedrick Wills) was making big man plays.  Commanded double teams on nearly every run play, and required a chip on all passing downs.  Unless there are character or health concerns, I think he's just what we need and decent value for late 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

Big uglies help win games on every snap...

we all know the saying, “the game is won and lost in the trenches”, 

this true-ism persists because it’s true. 

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

is Dickerson the guy with motovation or off field issues.  I recall some bama OL having an issue.  ?

He had motivation issues when he was at FSU because the culture at FSU stunk under Willie Taggart which led to him leaving FSU for Bama. 

I think Guard is a real possibility, I honestly think that Quinn Meinerz the Center Guard from Whitewater could be the guy. 

Checks the Buffalo boxes: 

Loves Cold Weather

Meets a need

Value will be about right

Fits into power scheme

Versatile can play Guard/Center

Small School guy who is a hard worker 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:25 PM, John from Riverside said:

I would absolutely not be upset if this happened

1st - Landon Dickerson - C/OG.  This would be especially important if we did need to give RT Williams a large contract to keep him and have to let Mongo go........slips right in at RG plug and play AND has position flexibility.

2nd - Tyler Shelvin - DT.  We dont know what we are getting with Star after a year off but even if we do Star has a enormous contract.   Love this guys game.

Both of these guys could conceivably be there at these picks so its not unrealistic.   Both of these guys huge and nasty.  We got owned at the LOS in last year's playoffs.

A little reaching here but I have no problem with this. Dickerson can play Guard on either side and C. making him versatile.  Shelvin is the one tech DT that would demand double team. After our recent Signings I would be good with this... UNLESS... one of the top two HB are there in round 1. Then we get Guard round 3 and this team would become way more then just throw throw throw.