Sunday Ticket/Directv future

bigK14094

14 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Customer service was good until ATT got involved, then it went to shitz

Agree I keep Directv for one purpose ST.  Customer service was great than ATT bought them and outsourced it all.  I just dropped ATT wireless their retention people kept offering me more expensive options 

19 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

We ditched DTV, as we feel like the format is way overpriced, (as is cable) but the back breaker, was their exceptionally lousy customer service.

I totally agree. I too was a die hard diretv guy just for the sunday ticket...but the customer service sucked and I hated paying extra for all the crap that came with it. Now I am a youtube TV guy. No cords and I get a lot of the channels that I watched on Directv and then some for less cost and no boxes or excess cords to deal with...and I can watch it anywhere. Plus, I find it more fun to watch the Bills games with a bunch of other Bills fans at the local Bills Backers bar. The Bills Mafia truely is an awesome group of people and I am proud to say i am a member.

• Like (+1) 1

Really disheartened to hear that DTV will most likely hang on to ST for two more seasons...

Called to cancel DTV after the season ended and they offered me another $20/month discount...I folded like a cheap suit.

I'll call again to cancel in August and will be asking for a ST discount.  If that doesn't work, I've got a kid in college this year and will buy the $99 streaming package instead.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

DirecTV may keep the Ticket just because of NFL fans and turn into the Sunday channel. If they lose that, they are officially irrelevant. 

I dont think they can outbid Amazon.  Since you are correct, ST is only reason to have DTV for most people, AT&T positioning to sell them off.

• Like (+1) 1

Other have said it, and it's true.

Direct TV loses Sunday Ticket and they are done. In that event, they will probably merge with Dish (like Sirius and XM) to achieve better economies of scale for those who have no other option than satellite TV due to rural locations. 

Once streaming become viable everywhere satellite TV is done. Cable will still exist as an ISP. 

Despite what the streamers say in online forums, we shouldn't celebrate just yet. These streaming networks that currently get $2-$3 per cable/dish/hulu subscriber are not just going to take the loss. We will still pay the same eventually, it will just be streaming. 

22 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

We ditched DTV, as we feel like the format is way overpriced, (as is cable) but the back breaker, was their exceptionally lousy customer service.

Same here - their customer service sucks and they basically ripped me off.  I moved and had cards because equipment would not work due to lack of line of sight at new house (trees) I called them multiple times about returning and after months gave up. Threw the cards away. Then one day I get a bill for $300 and a threat to submit me to collections because I did not turn cards in. I relented to pay because I did not need that crap in collections or on impacting my credit rating.  

I vowed I would never do business with them again. I have not and will not.

• Like (+1) 1

Live television services like DTV are rapidly becoming dinosaurs.  It would be kind of weird for ST not to move to Amazon or some similar service in the very near future.  

My experience has been the same as several others in this thread.  I subscribed to DTV back in 1999 as soon as my wife and I bought our first house.  At the time, the issue was "DTV or cable?" but that was a complete no-brainer -- I wanted the Ticket so we never even seriously looked at anything besides DTV.  These days I think we probably watch satellite for 30-45 minutes or so each night before bed and that's it, and that's only because we have a cheap TV in our bedroom that doesn't stream and I've never bothered to pick up a Fire stick or anything for it.  It's a complete waste of money except that ST is a non-negotiable part of my viewing.  So basically I'm paying for 12 months of DTV plus the annual ST subscription really just for ST.  

If ST moved to Amazon, I could pay triple what DTV charges and still come out ahead.  Surely the NFL and Amazon (or whoever) know that.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest plus to it going somewhere else is that there won't be any cute little quizzes to see if you "qualify" to buy the product. 

I never had to take a survey to see if I was "eligible" for Amazon Prime or Netflix. 

Got money? Then you're Amazon's "type." You're every streaming service's "type." Direct TV has to check and see if they want your money, and often they don't. That's because their business model is dumb. 

Just being able to pay money and get the product without a giant headache would be huge for out of market fans. 

In the past, I would have been all over this, but Red Zone has really made the ticket irrelevant, unless you are an out of town fan wanting to see your team's entire game. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I really wish I could buy Sunday ticket as a stand alone. Using a VPN to pretend your in London so you can stream live games on Rewind is a pain in the butt. Still can't understand their reasoning (besides $$$) that if your overseas you get more service for the same price.

2 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Like many others, Sunday Ticket is the only reason I keep DTV.

Their "service" is abysmal, and 99% of what's on is total crap anyway.  

And now, so many networks are taking their most popular shows and putting them exclusively on new streaming networks, devaluing their channels on cable/dish even more. 

On 3/1/2021 at 12:24 PM, TheFunPolice said:

Direct TV loses Sunday Ticket and they are done. 

I thought I read, maybe even on this forum, not too long ago that DTV has ~16 million subscribers and only about two million of those subscribe to ST.  True, ST is DTV's one big hook, but it's also a loss-leader. I'm surprised DTV didn't jump the NFL ship this year when all the TV deals were getting done...DTV can only hold on to this albatross for so long. 

On 3/1/2021 at 4:10 PM, TheFunPolice said:

The biggest plus to it going somewhere else is that there won't be any cute little quizzes to see if you "qualify" to buy the product

I never had to take a survey to see if I was "eligible" for Amazon Prime or Netflix. 

Got money? Then you're Amazon's "type." You're every streaming service's "type." Direct TV has to check and see if they want your money, and often they don't. That's because their business model is dumb. 

Just being able to pay money and get the product without a giant headache would be huge for out of market fans. 

In the past, I would have been all over this, but Red Zone has really made the ticket irrelevant, unless you are an out of town fan wanting to see your team's entire game. 

Dang, you are so right! I finally decided I "needed" LG's OLED TV for the living room. Waited for a good sale and bought one. I then proceeded to call DirecTv and ask about getting the 4K boxes for my new TV. I was quoted $799!! I'm like, "For What?!?!?!?". The "privilege" of paying them more money for 4K? So stupid....

Like many have said, if it weren't for the Ticket, I'd not have cable anymore. Most of what we watch is either on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I've got all the HBO's, Showtime's, etc and I rarely watch anything. It's all either stuff I've seen and won't waste time watching a second time or original programming that just plain sucks. HBO peaked with The Soprano's; they haven't done jack since. AMC with Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul has bested them. Netflix is in an entirely different universe. And, as was mentioned, all the major networks are putting their content into their own steaming services. So, the days of "cable" are numbered for sure. 

Just now, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Dang, you are so right! I finally decided I "needed" LG's OLED TV for the living room. Waited for a good sale and bought one. I then proceeded to call DirecTv and ask about getting the 4K boxes for my new TV. I was quoted $799!! I'm like, "For What?!?!?!?". The "privilege" of paying them more money for 4K? So stupid....

Like many have said, if it weren't for the Ticket, I'd not have cable anymore. Most of what we watch is either on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I've got all the HBO's, Showtime's, etc and I rarely watch anything. It's all either stuff I've seen and won't waste time watching a second time or original programming that just plain sucks. HBO peaked with The Soprano's; they haven't done jack since. AMC with Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul has bested them. Netflix is in an entirely different universe. And, as was mentioned, all the major networks are putting their content into their own steaming services. So, the days of "cable" are numbered for sure. 

WOW - I just realized I hit 1,000 posts with that one! woohoo!!! LOL!!!

15 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I thought I read, maybe even on this forum, not too long ago that DTV has ~16 million subscribers and only about two million of those subscribe to ST.  True, ST is DTV's one big hook, but it's also a loss-leader. I'm surprised DTV didn't jump the NFL ship this year when all the TV deals were getting done...DTV can only hold on to this albatross for so long. 

I would bet that if they lost the ticket, most of those 2 million would walk, meaning they lose 1/8 of their customers almost immediately.  

Plus they wouldn't get joy out of denying people the chance to give them hundreds of dollars for the ticket. I really think it makes their day when they turn a potential customer and $400 away. That's how dumb the company is. 

The biggest difference between up and coming companies and fading old dinosaurs like Direct TV is that Amazon never saw a dollar it didn't want. Direct TV LOVES telling you that they don't want your money. 

Edited by TheFunPolice