Sunday Ticket/Directv future

bigK14094

AT&T Carves Out Pay-TV Business in Deal With TPG - WSJ

AT&T sells part of Directv and deconsolidates from its own finicial reporting.  Directv looses a lot of money on the Sunday ticket contract.   Reporting from other sources on this shows Directv continuing to complete the Sunday ticket contract which is 2021 and 2022.  But, another conduit is likely for 2023, with Amazon and Disney the likely outlets.  They both have over 50 milllion subscribers whereas Directv only has 17 million (and falling)   Anyhow, there is usually interest on this board about Sunday ticket, and that is what is coming in 2023.  Who knows how the new ownership of Directv will handle the Sunday ticket in the last two years of their contract.

AT&T Carves Out Pay-TV Business in Deal With TPG - WSJ  Couldn't get the link to copy

Edited by bigK14094

8 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

AT&T Carves Out Pay-TV Business in Deal With TPG - WSJ

AT&T sells part of Directv and deconsolidates from its own finicial reporting.  Directv looses a lot of money on the Sunday ticket contract.   Reporting from other sources on this shows Directv continuing to complete the Sunday ticket contract which is 2021 and 2022.  But, another conduit is likely for 2023, with Amazon and Disney the likely outlets.  They both have over 50 milllion subscribers whereas Directv only has 17 million (and falling)   Anyhow, there is usually interest on this board about Sunday ticket, and that is what is coming in 2023.  Who knows how the new ownership of Directv will handle the Sunday ticket in the last two years of their contract.

I've had directv for the better part of 25 years. The only reason I have it is for football, I look forward to just subscribing to only what I would want to watch.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This is from an article in The Athletic what their Business manager thinks will happen to ST.  Overall a good article about the entire new NFL TV contract. The article appears to have been written slightly prior to ATT selling DTV.  From what I read though ATT really didn't sell DTV, they spun it off and partnered up with some other company but are still are supplying the biggest share of the $$. Think eventually they'll hand it completely over to this new company.

What takes its place could be a single provider like a cable operator or a streaming company, or a hybrid model that splits the out-of-market games among two types of technological platforms. But the interesting thing here is the NFL may see a reduction because AT&T treated the NFL as a marketing expense. If it is not willing to do so again — and it’s not — and others need to make the economics work, this might be a rare NFL rights package where the league’s take goes in reverse.

https://theathletic.com/2409140/2021/02/25/nfl-tv-contracts-101-how-deals-with-cbs-fox-espn-nbc-amazon-could-change/

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

There seems to have been an annual “DTV is losing Sunday ticket” thread on here since at least 2000. 

at this point, I don’t care. I have directv for ticket and when they are done with it, I will go to whoever has it.

Yearly?

59 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Yearly?

yeah, for real. I remember when I had just signed up for ticket in 2005, and there was a lot of chatter about it getting moved off DTV then. I was worried because I had just sprung for the satellite! 

I may try to go search the archive to see if I can dig up some old threads! 

• Like (+1) 1

I have DTV because of the ticket.  Would consider “cutting the cord” if they lose it.  Only other cable option is Spectrum and there’s no way I would get my tv package through them.

What would be great is if they just offered the Redzone channel.  That’s all I watch, never any of the games.

Hopefully if ATT divests itself fully of DTV, the customer service will get back to what it used to be.

The NFL has to find a way to get more exposure out of their games.  I can watch virtually any College game I want to each weekend - especially if they are a major ACC, SEC or BIG10 team.   I havent missed a Penn State game in 10 years.  The NFL needs that capability to reach a broader audience.  Every game should be on TV or readily available.   ESPN, CBS, Google, Amazon, NFL Network, ABC, FOX - put everygame on TV.  I dont see why in 2021 that the business deal the NFL has with DIRECTV is in their best interests. 

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

We ditched DTV, as we feel like the format is way overpriced, (as is cable) but the back breaker, was their exceptionally lousy customer service.

This is what sealed the deal for me.   Had it for ten years, and kept it because they worked with you.  The second At&t tooke over the script flipped and so did I.  Will never go back after the hassle I had with them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Direhard Fan said:

DTV or Dish is the only TV reception I get.  They have been very good to me so I'm happy.  

That's my problem too!  I don't have any broadband except satellite and I can't stream with it.  I'm already shut out of many dood TV shows that are streamed and would be ticked to loose Sunday football too.  

One other item, while Amazon & Disney have lots of subscribers now, let's see what happens to the price if they have to pay the big bucks the NFL will command for the ticket.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I have DTV because of the ticket.  Would consider “cutting the cord” if they lose it.  Only other cable option is Spectrum and there’s no way I would get my tv package through them.

What would be great is if they just offered the Redzone channel.  That’s all I watch, never any of the games.

Hopefully if ATT divests itself fully of DTV, the customer service will get back to what it used to be.

If you are like me and only watch a few sport channels and basically nothing else I would consider sling or youtube tv over whatever Spectrum offers. Spectrum always was switching the sport packages so I never knew what I got and I had to pay too much for the rest. I stream all my sports now and the only issue is a 30 second delay.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Would love to see Sunday Ticket just as a stand alone streaming all like MLB or NHL offer but with in network availability also.  

I think it would be great if you could get it streaming too but like me with satellite internet streaming isn’t a great option. So Directv is better for me right now even no my bill every month is out of hand. But more options do need to be on the table 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I wanted to make changes to my viewing package, and they bounced me around repeatedly, to different representatives. I'm polite to a fault, when dealing with people in customer service, but on this occasion, I just lost it, and canceled the account outright.

I am a similar type of person but they did the same to me for close to an hour.  I lost my cool for sure.

6 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

The NFL has to find a way to get more exposure out of their games.  I can watch virtually any College game I want to each weekend - especially if they are a major ACC, SEC or BIG10 team.   I havent missed a Penn State game in 10 years.  The NFL needs that capability to reach a broader audience.  Every game should be on TV or readily available.   ESPN, CBS, Google, Amazon, NFL Network, ABC, FOX - put everygame on TV.  I dont see why in 2021 that the business deal the NFL has with DIRECTV is in their best interests. 

you get more revenue if you allow all platforms to sell and nfl package like other sports

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Customer service was good until ATT got involved, then it went to shitz

I agree.  Some of my additional issues maybe really aren’t customer service, but perhaps more to quality of product.  Over the last few years there were major issues like (1) recorded programs disappearing,  (2) programs not recording when they’re supposed to, and they took several months to fix these.  It was ridiculous.

There’s a current issue where games or programs that are set up to record, are recording on channels I don’t even have instead of the channels they’re supposed to.  It defeats the purpose of having a DVR to record all episodes of a show or all games of a team if it isn’t going to work and you have to monitor the future recordings.  

Sorry for venting.

I live in an area where currently Dish TV is the only option.  I will be glad when everything becomes easily available thru streaming.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ColeB said:

I agree.  Some of my additional issues maybe really aren’t customer service, but perhaps more to quality of product.  Over the last few years there were major issues like (1) recorded programs disappearing,  (2) programs not recording when they’re supposed to, and they took several months to fix these.  It was ridiculous.

There’s a current issue where games or programs that are set up to record, are recording on channels I don’t even have instead of the channels they’re supposed to.  It defeats the purpose of having a DVR to record all episodes of a show or all games of a team if it isn’t going to work and you have to monitor the future recordings.  

Sorry for venting.

I live in an area where currently Dish TV is the only option.  I will be glad when everything becomes easily available thru streaming.

no problem I get it. I've tried using the app to record stuff when not home and most of the time it doesn't work