Was there anyone else like Payne Stewart? (NFL related)

Beast

He may be best remembered as dying at a way too yound age of 42 in a plane crash but I'll remember him for something different.

The guy dressed in NFL related garb on the golf course. Here he is pictured blasting out of the sand wearing Bills gear.

One of a kind.....or, were there other in the entertainment/sports world?

D9751ABC-C04C-4163-92C0-71D4CDDAFDBE.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Beast said:

He may be best remembered as dying at a way too yound age of 42 in a plane crash but I'll remember him for something different.

The guy dressed in NFL related garb on the golf course. Here he is pictured blasting out of the sand wearing Bills gear.

I didn’t know he sported Bills gear, pretty cool if you ask me,

Edited by Don Otreply

41 minutes ago, Beast said:

There was a time when he was known for choking in the majors, and it didn't go unnoticed that he wore Bills' gear.  Fortunately, he finally won that Master's and got the yoke off his neck.  He was a great personality, and it was very sad that he left this earth too soon...

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, TPS said:

There was a time when he was known for choking in the majors, and it didn't go unnoticed that he wore Bills' gear.  Fortunately, he finally won that Master's and got the yoke off his neck.  He was a great personality, and it was very sad that he left this earth too soon...

Just a point of fact correction.  Payne never won the Masters.  He won I believe 2 PGAs and 2 US Opens; the Open he win at Pinehurst with the 15 foot putt on 18 was just months before his death.

23 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just a point of fact correction.  Payne never won the Masters.  He won I believe 2 PGAs and 2 US Opens; the Open he win at Pinehurst with the 15 foot putt on 18 was just months before his death.

Yes, it was the US Open on Father's DAy beating Mickelson, yes?  Thanks for that.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Maynard said:

How is this Bills related? He wore any NFL team colors, dependent on the proximity of the closest franchise.   

I am sorry the way his life ended though......

I don't know....maybe because he wore Bills and other NFL gear while playing in a major sport?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I was a big Payne fan! Too bad I never got to see him play live in person. He went out on top with US Open and Ryder Cup that year. But yeah colorful guy and dressed lt up on the course!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plane depressurized.  Everyone asphyxiated.  It then  traveled hundreds of miles with no live souls on board.  Military scrambled jet to intercept.  “Ghost plane” flew til it ran out of fuel.

Holy hell .. that's just insane , and way unfortunate..  yikes

Edited by Kenosha2Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

He did it for money and recognition (which equates to money).  I have ZERO problem with that. I used to live on the Harbour Town course in Hilton Head, SC and he was one of the “cool guys” back then. Very sad that he was lost so soon. 

https://clubhouse.swingu.com/players/fashion-icon-payne-stewart-t-barry-knickers/

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Not sure if this fits your narrative but the first guy that popped into my head was post-Detroit Pistons Dennis Rodman rocking all the different hair colors and his "exotic" personality.  Biggest character in professional sports history in my opinion.   

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Not sure if this fits your narrative but the first guy that popped into my head was post-Detroit Pistons Dennis Rodman rocking all the different hair colors and his "exotic" personality.  Biggest character in professional sports history in my opinion.   

I was kind of thinking about athletes sporting gear of other professional teams.

I remember Islanders great, Billy Smith, used to wear a NY Jets sticker in the back of his helmet/cage.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

pretty interesting. I didn’t realize Stewart wore football stuff. When I just looked it up on wiki, looks like he had a NFL sponsorship, which is why he wore that NFL gear. 

Out of curiosity, what got you thinking of Stewart all of a sudden? The Tiger crash? 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

pretty interesting. I didn’t realize Stewart wore football stuff. When I just looked it up on wiki, looks like he had a NFL sponsorship, which is why he wore that NFL gear. 

Out of curiosity, what got you thinking of Stewart all of a sudden? The Tiger crash? 

Yeah. I was thinking about when Tiger was a young guy on the tour and Stewart popped into my head and I remembered his NFL outfits. 

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I didn’t know he sported Bills gets, pretty cool if you ask me,

He would wear the NFL gear of the closest team to where he was playing.  Likely was wearing Bills gear when they were playing at Oak Hill in Rochester.  Don't believe there's any PGA events in Buffalo so would assume that's the closest??

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He would wear the NFL gear of the closest team to where he was playing.  Likely was wearing Bills gear when they were playing at Oak Hill in Rochester.  Don't believe there's any PGA events in Buffalo so would assume that's the closest??

Sounds likely,