Thoughts on Curtis Samuel

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They found Shaq Barrett at a bargain price (I know he played on the tag this year) and the two linebackers, Vea and their whole secondary are drafted guys who with the exception of David are on their rookie deals. They have Suh and JPP at age 32 and 34 who have made their money and are playing below their true value to be on a competitor. 

There is no "one way" to win in this league I say it all the time, but the Bills defensive free agent strategy has to be about finding more Poyers and Hydes and fewer Addisons and Butlers. Especially this year there will be bargains out there to be had. They have to find them.

All true... 

Vea was picked at 12 which would give a lot guys here heart failure... ( maybe even you..)

JPP and Suh arent playing for chump change...

Its not just FA.. its not being afraid to pick a guy high in the draft if he is the right guy... 

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

All true... 

Vea was picked at 12 which would give a lot guys here heart failure... ( maybe even you..)

JPP and Suh arent playing for chump change...

Its not just FA.. its not being afraid to pick a guy high in the draft if he is the right guy... 

Yea I liked Vea because even though he is primarily a 1 tech he is a pocket pusher he gets into the backfield and disrupts. I did think #12 was a bit high though. 

Suh and JPP cost them $20m on the cap combined last year. Suh took a paycut to stay after 2019. JPP is probably closer to his true market value.... but the two cost only about $2m more than Vernon Butler and Mario Addison. 

I just think that first offseason before Beane got here the Bills were creative in free agency and signed two guys who have cornerstones ever since and out performed their contracts. They drafted Milano in the 5th round who played so well they are now gonna see him walk - out performed the draft pick. Since Beane arrived.... well lots of well paid Carolina guys who are scheme and culture fits but have been meh and two very talented first round picks who haven't been consistent enough. They have to get smarter on that side because the margin for error is getting smaller.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think the Texans would have released him, given that his salary was fully guaranteed, if they didn't want his space more than his contributions at that point?

How often do you think teams release a player with a guaranteed salary when he asks with 6 games left, unless they see him as a guy they want out of the room?

You're talking about Brandin Cooks, who played 15 games, and Will "Whoops! Suspended!" Fuller who played 11 games, and who?

Stills ASKED for his release and it was granted.    He was unhappy with his usage and unhappy with things going on in the organization(specifically a firing of a popular PR executive) and becoming a pest about it on social media.  But they held onto him until he had the leg injury and it was clear that the injury was probably going to keep him out most of the rest of the season.  So there was no reason to hold onto him any longer if he wanted out.......and they obliged.  

Everyone familiar with the Texans will tell you it was a crowded WR room.    Deep enough that Keke Coutee.........a player with a higher career average yards per game than Cole Beasley.......was the guy that was previously being de-activated in favor of Kenny Stills.      

You didn't do your homework on this one Hap.   Just own it.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Beane has overspent on some guys in FA.. cant argue with that... 

But like I keep saying.. you cant ignore the D or just try to find bargain basement types to fill the gaps...

I keep going back to the Bucs and how they absolutely stuck it up Kansas City..  That D is solid top to bottom..

Every once in a while you will have an outlier.

You couldn't build a team like Tampa on purpose...........a lot has to go right to go from being the league's biggest underachieving team and not getting torn down after that season.......and then being the biggest underachieving team in the league thru 12 games of the NEXT season........to then winning the SB in dominating fashion 2 months later.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Every once in a while you will have an outlier.

You couldn't build a team like Tampa on purpose...........a lot has to go right to go from being the league's biggest underachieving team and not getting torn down after that season.......and then being the biggest underachieving team in the league thru 12 games of the NEXT season........to then winning the SB in dominating fashion 2 months later.

I'll pay this.. a lot went right for TB and it would be hard to replicate...

But I will also say that after the Chiefs handed us our butts in the Championship game.. the narrative here was pretty strong that you cant stop Mahomes, Kelce and Hill and the only way you could hope to beat them was to out weapon them in an Offensive arms race...

I think TB did change that and show that there is more than one way to skin a cat..

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

But I will also say that after the Chiefs handed us our butts in the Championship game.. the narrative here was pretty strong that you cant stop Mahomes, Kelce and Hill and the only way you could hope to beat them was to out weapon them in an Offensive arms race...

I think TB did change that and show that there is more than one way to skin a cat..

That's true. The double whammy for the Bills is that along with an average at best defense our offense runs through our WR's. KC's defense is designed to shut down WR centric offenses. We need more utilization and production out of our TE's and RB's. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

They did....but they did so vs 5 backup OL. How many teams made the Super Bowl

and started all backups!  Losing Fisher in the AFCCG was the straw that broke the camels back.  That forced a couple position changes that, mixed with Tampa’s pass rush, was too much to overcome.  

I don’t believe we’ll see a team get that much pressure on Mahomes for awhile.  Trying to replicate what Tampa did will be easier said than done.  His rating was 52 in the Sb.  62 was his previous low, the only other game he’s had below 70.  

Getting consistent pressure on Mahomes without blitzing is the ideal situation.  Just as it is for beating every team.  Our offense was shut down by their average D in both games.  Our offense needs to improve if we want to beat them.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

They did....but they did so vs 5 backup OL. How many teams made the Super Bowl

and started all backups!  Losing Fisher in the AFCCG was the straw that broke the camels back.  That forced a couple position changes that, mixed with Tampa’s pass rush, was too much to overcome.  

I don’t believe we’ll see a team get that much pressure on Mahomes for awhile.  Trying to replicate what Tampa did will be easier said than done.  His rating was 52 in the Sb.  62 was his previous low, the only other game he’s had below 70.  

Getting consistent pressure on Mahomes without blitzing is the ideal situation.  Just as it is for beating every team.  Our offense was shut down by their average D in both games.  Our offense needs to improve if we want to beat them.  

So the Bills D struggled so much to get any pressure against 4 back up OL?

Makes me want to improve the DL even more now!

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Chiefs played with some backups on the OL all year. The bigger issue was that when fisher went down, these backups then had to switch positions for the SB. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

We didn’t face the same OL tampa did.  For the SB, they lost their best OL, in Fisher. The backup RT had to move over to LT and the backups Guard had to move to RT while a 5th stringer was playing guard had to play guard.  

Either way, yes, we need to upgrade out pass rush.....but the chiefs will likely have a much better OL than they did vs us and we likely won’t be able to put that kind of pressure on Mahomes.....which means our offense has to be much better, because we aren’t going to hold Mahomes with a TD.  Our O was dreadful in TWO games vs the chiefs.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We didn’t face the same OL tampa did.  For the SB, they lost their best OL, in Fisher. The backup RT had to move over to LT and the backups Guard had to move to RT while a 5th stringer was playing guard had to play guard.  

Either way, yes, we need to upgrade out pass rush.....but the chiefs will likely have a much better OL than they did vs us and we likely won’t be able to put that kind of pressure on Mahomes.....which means our offense has to be much better, because we aren’t going to hold Mahomes with a TD.  Our O was dreadful in TWO games vs the chiefs.

Agreed. 

Everyone is going to point to TB as the blueprint, but you can't just recreate their Front 7, and the Chiefs won't always have a beat up OL.  

It is good to know that Mahomes can look that bad under pressure though.  Shows that there's some things, even the best QB's can't simply overcome.  

We certainly need to upgrade the pass rush, but we can absolutely give Josh Allen a more even playing field against KC by re-evaluating the interior of the OL and giving him better and/or more effective weaponry at RB/TE.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, FFadpecr said:

He's my #2 WR target for the Bills. If I'm the Bills, I go in this order for prioritizing FA WRs:

1) Will Fuller - Try and convince him to sign a 1 year deal where he balls out with Allen/Diggs being force multipliers and proves he can stay healthy all season, so he can enter the FA market again next offseason to land his mega-deal when his value would be at an all-time high. The goal is to stack force multipliers in the passing game. Allen = force multiplier. Diggs = force multiplier. Fuller = force multiplier. Put the 3 force multipliers together in the same offense and it's dynamite. That is how you create explosive, unstoppable Offenses in today's NFL - you stack force multipliers in the passing game. 

^^^If Plan A doesn't work:

2) Curtis Samuel

3) Nelson Agholor

4) TY Hilton

5) John Ross (somehow I think Allen can revitalize his career. His 4.2 straight-line speed complements the other Bills WRs very well.)

No way on Fuller.  He makes EJ Gaines look like Cal Ripken.  Again during this cash-strapped season, if Stills seemed like a good fit with the team and still (ahem) has ability, target him.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FFadpecr said:

1) Precisely, which would lower his contract demands. The Bills would be getting a steal. If every team thinks the same way you do, Fuller's market would dry up, and he would be left searching for a 1-year prove-it deal. Fuller's injury history would then work in the Bills favor. By the way, Fuller DID NOT get injured in the 2020 season. Just pointing that out.

2) The Bills need a healthy Fuller for a grand total of 2 games: 1) Regular season game vs. the Chiefs and 2) Playoff game vs. the Chiefs. If Fuller is available for these 2 games alone, I couldn't care less if he were to miss the other games. The Bills don't need Fuller to beat any team not named the Chiefs. But they need Fuller to beat the Chiefs. 

The best ability is availability.  A cheap contract means nothing if the player misses half the season.  

And true he didn't get injured last season: he was suspended for 5 games.  He'll miss the first game of 2021.

33 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

He's my #2 WR target for the Bills. If I'm the Bills, I go in this order for prioritizing FA WRs:

1) Will Fuller - Try and convince him to sign a 1 year deal where he balls out with Allen/Diggs being force multipliers and proves he can stay healthy all season, so he can enter the FA market again next offseason to land his mega-deal when his value would be at an all-time high. The goal is to stack force multipliers in the passing game. Allen = force multiplier. Diggs = force multiplier. Fuller = force multiplier. Put the 3 force multipliers together in the same offense and it's dynamite. That is how you create explosive, unstoppable Offenses in today's NFL - you stack force multipliers in the passing game. 

^^^If Plan A doesn't work:

2) Curtis Samuel

3) Nelson Agholor

4) TY Hilton

5) John Ross (somehow I think Allen can revitalize his career. His 4.2 straight-line speed complements the other Bills WRs very well.)

John Ross? Phillip Dorsett has a better resume.

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I wouldn’t say they were dreadful.... the first matchup they were bad. I thought they moved the ball well in the Championship game. They just struggled to protect Allen(which led to Josh trying too hard to make a play resulting in ridiculous sacks), and couldn’t score TDs.

I’m all for more weapons offensively though. 

I didn’t say our offense was dreadful.  I said that our offense was shut down by their average D in both games. It was.  We had 206 yards of total O in the first game.  In the AFCCG, we didn’t have our first TD drive til 4 mins left in the game.  We got some first downs but I believe we converted 1 of our first 10 first downs.  That’s being shut down

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know where the money comes from but D. Williams; pass rush and speed on Offense are the FA needs.  

I like Curtis Samuel and think he is really breaking out in the next few years.  

Not sure if the FO likes him (some off the field red flags early in his career) and not sure if he wants to come to Buffalo.  

I think this is a player that would make the Bills even more difficult to defend.   I would note that the Bills were not an offensive juggernaut in the playoffs this year.  I think Curtis Samuel is a difference maker. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I don't know where the money comes from but D. Williams; pass rush and speed on Offense are the FA needs.  

I like Curtis Samuel and think he is really breaking out in the next few years.  

Not sure if the FO likes him (some off the field red flags early in his career) and not sure if he wants to come to Buffalo.  

I think this is a player that would make the Bills even more difficult to defend.   I would note that the Bills were not an offensive juggernaut in the playoffs this year.  I think Curtis Samuel is a difference maker. 

What off-field red flags are you referring to 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What off-field red flags are you referring to 

I think now I was mistaken.   The controversy nagging in the back of my mind I think was a recruiting violation that was not the fault of the player.   In looking at CS also had some injury issues and a heart problem that required some tinkering.

I apologize as I posted with just a nagging inkling and when I went to look it appears he is a good citizen.