Thoughts on Curtis Samuel

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Keep Brown on a reworked deal.  Let McKenzie and Roberts walk.. That's the best move for the WR group. Go with Diggs, Beasley, Brown, Davis and the kid from Oregon State. Add a late round or UDFA WR that has some return ability and a few other street free agents for camp. Then decide to go with 5 or 6 WR depending on if they have a corner with return ability or not. I'd favor carrying 5 WR and an extra DB that can return a little.

The only re-work that makes sense will require lowering Brown's scheduled pay or player freedom by offering a team friendly extension.

I am a John Brown fan but I agree with the take from the spotrac founder in that thread............pay cuts don't endear the player to the team.

Better off cutting them and letting them test the market.

Beane cut Incognito's pay.........the guard market heats up a couple weeks later in UFA.........Incognito loses his mind and Bills ended up with a hole at guard.

Beane cuts Lotulelei's pay.........guarantees his money in return with a rather obvious plan to cut bait after 2020 season........so Star opts out and the plan blows up in Beane's face.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

'Mighty Taco' on draft day is never a good decision...

You could leave out “draft day” and still be onto something....but sometimes I am my own worst enemy.    🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Too rich for us in 2021...

Anyone like Dazz Newsome as a 5th round pick for that Return/ WR5 role?

Save the $12 m to put towards Williams and a DE... 

Funny. I was just playing with one of the sims and was checking him out. Not as fast, but for the savings I would. Was also checking out Marquez Stevenson. But may be better to stick with Mckensie..

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Curtis Samuel, IMO, is the perfect FA target for the Bills.

I still remember Buffalo media members raving over his skillet when the Bills practiced Carolina a few years back. I also think he's a WR that is very underrated due to the QBs he's played with (Cam on his downside & journeyman Teddy).

I'm also of the belief that the Bills should prioritize adding weapons for the offense and making sacrifices on defense to keep our offense strong. I feel like McDermott can get more out of less on the defensive side of the ball, so I'd like to see our limited cap space spent on players that help our offense.

Here's my idea of what a Curtis Samuel deal could look like that the Bills could easily fit in cap space wise this yr:

3 years - $34.5M

$12M signing bonus

Yr 1: $1.5M base ($13.5M cash), $5.5M cap

Yr 2: $10.5M base, $14.5M cap

Yr 3: $10.5M base $14.5M cap

Keep in mind this could be Cole Beasley's last year on the Bills, so I like the idea of getting someone like Samuel who can replace Brown @ the X spot this year......but also a guy who is versatile enough to perhaps replace Cole Beasley @ the slot position in 2022 (the Bills save $6.1M by cutting Beasley next year)

I also think a guy like Samuel would maybe take just a little bit less to play with Josh Allen & in an offense where his production could shine.  I dont think he'd take a huge discount, but if it's between the Bills @ 3 years - $34.5M or say the Jets @ 3 yrs - $39M I could envision a scenario where he'd prefer the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Estro said:

Curtis Samuel, IMO, is the perfect FA target for the Bills.

I still remember Buffalo media members raving over his skillet when the Bills practiced Carolina a few years back. I also think he's a WR that is very underrated due to the QBs he's played with (Cam on his downside & journeyman Teddy).

I'm also of the belief that the Bills should prioritize adding weapons for the offense and making sacrifices on defense to keep our offense strong. I feel like McDermott can get more out of less on the defensive side of the ball, so I'd like to see our limited cap space spent on players that help our offense.

Here's my idea of what a Curtis Samuel deal could look like that the Bills could easily fit in cap space wise this yr:

3 years - $34.5M

$12M signing bonus

Yr 1: $1.5M base ($13.5M cash), $5.5M cap

Yr 2: $10.5M base, $14.5M cap

Yr 3: $10.5M base $14.5M cap

Keep in mind this could be Cole Beasley's last year on the Bills, so I like the idea of getting someone like Samuel who can replace Brown @ the X spot this year......but also a guy who is versatile enough to perhaps replace Cole Beasley @ the slot position in 2022 (the Bills save $6.1M by cutting Beasley next year)

So in 2022 they will save $6.1M cutting Beasley  but will pay $14.5M to Samuel... 

Beasley has just come off his best season..is Samuel really going to be that much better in 2022?

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes he is gonna get paid

but

Look at all the things he can actually do well....this swiss army knife is literally that and could replace players on the team in different roles actually making him a bargain

- Replaces John Brown (if they choose to go that route)

- Replaces jet sweep ability along us to replace McKenzie's role

- Could serve as the speed back we need to compliment the running backs we currently have

Lets not forget that Beane drafted him

How much do you think he wants to get paid?

Spotrac says 4 years, $50M or $12.4M/yr

He's a very good player, but I don't think we have room under the cap for another highly paid WR, personally. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

For me, we know Josh is our future. Don’t mess around like some other franchises have done with their great QBs by not surrounding them with the best offense that they could have possibly fielded (NE, GB, HOU).

Curtis Samuel is a unique player that gives your offense both a lateral and vertical threat. 12 mil may seem like a lot but the salary cap will likely rebound in a year or two anyway before Joshs big extension kicks in. 

Get Samuel, resign D Williams, draft a couple guards and centers and Kenneth Gainwell and let Josh do the rest.

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

For me, we know Josh is our future. Don’t mess around like some other franchises have done with their great QBs by not surrounding them with the best offense that they could have possibly fielded (NE, GB, HOU).

It would be a shame to end up like NE and not have any success...

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

It would be a shame to end up like NE and not have any success...

Even with all that success Brady still left for a team with great receivers. Get your QB as much help as you can each year. On the other hand no way Aaron Rodgers should have only been to just one Super Bowl.

Edited by LEBills

7 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Even with all that success Brady still left for a team with great receivers. Get your QB as much help as you can each year. On the other hand no way Aaron Rodgers should have only been to just one Super Bowl.

I’ll take just one...

Tampa Bay’s demolition of the a Chiefs showed me to value the whole team... not just the flashy skill guys...