CBS Sports: each NFL team's most likely HOF-worthy current player - includes two former Bills as locks

chongli

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I understand the sentiment, but Rivers won’t be the first HOFer without a SB, MVP, or All Pro nomination to be inducted. 

That’s true.

Maybe I am putting my own beliefs of what constitutes as a HOF er.

Im more on the baseball side of things where I would only put in the best of the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

There's mediocre QBs in the HoF simply by virtue of winning Super Bowls, with many better QBs who will never get in because they were on bad teams or weren't flashy big names (really emphasizing the F part in HoF).  It's routinely brought up by media types that so and so is an elite player, but won't get HoF consideration until they win the big one.

Hell, Terrell Davis made it in having only played 4 full seasons and 78 total games.

They need to get together and hash out some sort of official guideline for voting.  Shift the focus away from team accolades (eg QBs being carried to wins by dominant defenses) and being household names (eg Cam Newton), and more towards the individual career of the player.  And special teamers are players too, darnit. 

6 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Rivers just retired but that is an interesting one to me.

I think he is going to be right on the border.

For me I would vote no, but I think he has a legit chance of getting in

I agree. His stats say yes but I don’t think I’d consider him one of the best of all time or even among the best of his generation. Was he ever really considered one of the top 5 qbs in any season he played? 

A lot of other QBs from his time will need to get in before him.  

Edited by Maybe Someday
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Regular season HOf er for sure. But he never really played that well in the playoffs and never even got to a SB.

Now I’m not blaming that all on him as it’s a team game, but he never played his best football when it mattered the most.

He was 5-7 in the playoffs and so many act like he was 0-8, his best was enough to be in 12 playoff games. Drew Brees is 9-9 in playoffs and not many QBs are much more than 50% in playoffs. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He was 5-7 in the playoffs and so many act like he was 0-8, his best was enough to be in 12 playoff games. Drew Brees is 9-9 in playoffs and not many QBs are much more than 50% in playoffs. 

Drew brees SB ring, multiple all pros, and basically better stats all around compared to rivers.

They really aren’t comparable at all.

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

LeSean McCoy is a lock. 

All Decade Team 2010s

2 x First Team All Pro

6 Pro Bowls

2 SB rings 

15,000 all purpose yards.

only RB’s with 15K and multiple rings: Shady and Emmitt Smith. 

those rings likely wouldn’t be a factor since he got them when he was mostly sat on bench and didn’t even dress for the KC one .

Edited by prissythecat
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, whatdrought said:

It’s up for debate, so let’s debate it:

”Is Cam Newton a hall of famer?”

”No. Absolutely not.”

Debate over.

Cam is the all time qb rushing td leader with 70 TDs. The next highest is Young with  43. He’s also second all time in qb rushing yards behind Vick. And he did it in nine seasons. 

his overall stats are super comparable to hall of famer Steve Young’s. 

https://nflcomparisons.com/steve-young-vs-cam-newton-comparison/

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Drew brees SB ring, multiple all pros, and basically better stats all around compared to rivers.

They really aren’t comparable at all.

I was responding to a person who stated that Rivers was poor in the playoffs and therefore should not be in hall. Brees is a first ballot certainty and Rivers compares well with most of the QBs in the hall. To exclude Rivers from the hall would require people to focus only on the few things he did not accomplish vs everything he did accomplish.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:21 AM, Jpsredemption said:

Floyd Little, Kurt Warner, Tom Flores at coach, Art Monk, Dick Labeau, Troy Aikman, Curtis Martin...the list could go on for days. 

I don't know that it could though.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:47 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, John Lynch, Kurt Warner, Marv Levy, Art Monk, Terrell Davis.... 

If you guys can get the list of just very good hofers to 20 players, you're still looking at only around 5% of the hall of fame. Also, some of those aren't recent inductees right (I understand recent is relative, and much respect if you are talking about the first 20 years or so of hall of fame and it changing after that)?

Edited by HardyBoy

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was responding to a person who stated that Rivers was poor in the playoffs and therefore should not be in hall. Brees is a first ballot certainty and Rivers compares well with most of the QBs in the hall. To exclude Rivers from the hall would require people to focus only on the few things he did not accomplish vs everything he did accomplish.

I personally wouldn't vote rivers in the hall, but he I would guess he makes it.

3 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Cam is the all time qb rushing td leader with 70 TDs. The next highest is Young with  43. He’s also second all time in qb rushing yards behind Vick. And he did it in nine seasons. 

his overall stats are super comparable to hall of famer Steve Young’s. 

https://nflcomparisons.com/steve-young-vs-cam-newton-comparison/

Comparing Cam's stats to Youngs is a pretty meaningless exercise given that they played in different eras.    Cam's contemporaries are Brady , Brees,  Rogers, Rivers, Roethlisberger .   All of them have elite stats and career passer ratings around the high 90s.   Cam has a career passer rating of  85.8, which is below average for an NFL QB.     

Its pretty safe to say that Cam won't be in the hall of fame.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2021 at 2:08 PM, chongli said:

Machine Gun Kelly: you have been so nice to me with this and your other post. And thank you for taking the time to write this. This really encourages me. Thank you for being so welcoming. I try my best. I try to post only when something is meaningful; and try to add substance to the forum, especially now that it is slower in the off-season.  But most importantly, I try to emulate the well-respected posters here: you and a number of others. This board is both very civil and knowledgeable, and I like that.

As for potential Hall of Famers for our team, I agree with you. Still way too early for Allen, Diggs, and White (as well as McDermott, Beane, and the Pegulas), but their futures appear to be bright. Right now, Tasker is the one who really needs to get in.

Kent Hull had a helluva career.  And he was a leader on the championship teams.  He should be given consideration.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2021 at 5:13 PM, 1ManRaid said:

There's mediocre QBs in the HoF simply by virtue of winning Super Bowls, with many better QBs who will never get in because they were on bad teams or weren't flashy big names (really emphasizing the F part in HoF).  It's routinely brought up by media types that so and so is an elite player, but won't get HoF consideration until they win the big one.

Hell, Terrell Davis made it in having only played 4 full seasons and 78 total games.

They need to get together and hash out some sort of official guideline for voting.  Shift the focus away from team accolades (eg QBs being carried to wins by dominant defenses) and being household names (eg Cam Newton), and more towards the individual career of the player.  And special teamers are players too, darnit. 

If you watch enuf football over a lot of years, as a fan you get a feel for who has had a HOF career, and who was really good but not at that top level.  I think Rivers was pretty dam good in his heyday.  A real gamer too.  I think he gets in eventually.  Def not a first year or two guy.  But the guy could play.  Heck he still looked good against us in the playoff game.  

That being said.  Cam Newton is nowhere near a HOF player.  He had some big years, and then became very mediocre due to injuries.  And last year he embarrassed himself..  I think Greg Olson Cam's TE has a better chance of getting in then Cam when all is said and done.  And he is certainly not a lock, but has a shot.  

8 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Kent Hull had a helluva career.  And he was a leader on the championship teams.  He should be given consideration.  

He was a very good player. The article only included current players though. I personally wouldn't put him in the HOF. He was a leader on championship teams, but so were lots of other good players in the NFL--way too many for only seven players (five current and two from the Senior Committee ?) enshrined per year. He did have four trips to the Pro Bowl and once was an All-Pro, but that isn't quite good enough.

18 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Comparing Cam's stats to Youngs is a pretty meaningless exercise given that they played in different eras.    Cam's contemporaries are Brady , Brees,  Rogers, Rivers, Roethlisberger .   All of them have elite stats and career passer ratings around the high 90s.   Cam has a career passer rating of  85.8, which is below average for an NFL QB.     

Its pretty safe to say that Cam won't be in the hall of fame.

He was on a HOF track but the injuries ruined him. 

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, chongli said:

He was a very good player. The article only included current players though. I personally wouldn't put him in the HOF. He was a leader on championship teams, but so were lots of other good players in the NFL--way too many for only seven players (five current and two from the Senior Committee ?) enshrined per year. He did have four trips to the Pro Bowl and once was an All-Pro, but that isn't quite good enough.

Thats a fair assessment of Kent Hull.  I thought he was a little better then just those numbers.  Always a class act, and one of my favorite Bills from that era.  But I understand where you are coming from.  Would put him at least on the level of Kyle Williams in Bills lore.

• Like (+1) 1