CBS Sports: each NFL team's most likely HOF-worthy current player - includes two former Bills as locks

chongli

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/every-nfl-teams-most-likely-future-hall-of-famer-tom-brady-aaron-donald-among-17-locks/

Here is my summary, with lock or not from CBS. They list two former Bills as locks: Jason Peters and Frank Gore. Not sure I agree about Baltimore's Justin Tucker as a lock considering so few special teamers get in. Steve Tasker belongs in before Tucker. Former Bills player LeSean McCoy is not listed, and won't get in, IMO.

Arizona - Larry Fitzgerald - Lock: Yes

Atlanta -  Julio Jones - Lock: Yes

Baltimore - Justin Tucker - Lock: No, but close

Buffalo - Tre-Davious White - Lock: No

"White is still in the early stages of his career

Josh Allen's 2020 season gave him consideration for this spot. But the nod ultimately went to White, who followed up his 2019 All-Pro season with a second consecutive Pro Bowl selection. White's play last season helped the Bills reach their first AFC title game since 1993.

More seasons like the one he just had may get Stefon Diggs into this conversation next offseason. In his first season with the Bills, Diggs led the NFL in receptions and receiving yards while earning his first All-Pro nod. " 

Carolina - Christian McCaffrey - Lock: No

Cincinnati - Geno Atkins - Lock: No

Chicago - Khalil Mack - Lock: No, but very close

Cleveland - Myles Garrett - Lock: No, but appears to be on the way

Dallas - Tyron Smith - Lock: No

Denver -  Von Mille - Lock: Yes

Detroit - Adrian Peterson - Lock: Yes

Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers - Lock: Yes

Houston - Deshaun Watson - Lock: No

Indianapolis - Justin Houston - Lock: No

Jacksonville - Josh Allen - Lock: No

Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes - Lock: No, but closer than you think

Las Vegas - Derek Carr - Lock: No

Los Angeles Chargers - Joey Bosa - Lock: Yes

Los Angeles Rams - Aaron Donald - Lock: Yes

Miami - Xavien Howard - Lock: No

Minnesota - Harrison Smith - Lock: No

New England - Cam Newton - Lock: No, but this should be up for debate

New Orleans - Drew Brees - Lock: Yes

New York Giants - Saquon Barkley - Lock: No

New York Jets - Frank Gore - Lock: Yes

Philadelphia - Jason Peters - Lock: Yes

Pittsburgh - Ben Rothlisberger - Lock: Yes

San Francisco - Richard Sherman - Lock: Yes

Tampa Bay - Tom Brady - Lock: Yes [They also list Gronk as a lock and Antonio Brown as a possibility if he continues successfully]

Washington - Brandon Scherff - Lock: No

Top Free Agent Candidate: JJ Watt - Lock: Yes

Edited by chongli

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Antonio Brown and Cam Newton as "in the conversation" is just funny. 

I always like Newton the player but if you fizzle out after 5 years you are not a HoFer.

It’s up for debate, so let’s debate it:

”Is Cam Newton a hall of famer?”

”No. Absolutely not.”

Debate over.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

The hall of fame used to be reserved for the best of the best. Now the criteria is that you were really good, maybe only for a short period of time, and had to wait a long time. So really all these guys will probably make it when only a handful really deserve it. 

Was the hall of fame around from the very beginning? My guess is there was a backlog of only the best of the best to get through for a bit.

Also, do you have some examples of more than a handful of players that aren't the best of the best recently who have gotten in?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

Bosa as a lock if laughable. He needs quite a few more good years to reach lock status. 

Best of the best has given way to best of their generation. 

Weird, right?

I mean, Bosa is a lock and Mahomes isn’t? (neither are yet)

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Antonio Brown and Cam Newton as "in the conversation" is just funny. 

I always like Newton the player but if you fizzle out after 5 years you are not a HoFer.

Brown can make a good case.  Newton?  NFW.

• Like (+1) 1

Chongli, first I want to commend you.  A healthy debate is great and why so many of us keep coming here.  Of the rookies this year posting, you have put out very thoughtful well informed, and researched threads.  Also, several guys this year for some reason have been veiled or hidden agenda guys not really Bills fans.  I’m not the guy to call people out, and it’s fine for people that love this team to question decisions.

You on the other hand have started several threads that were thoughtful, seems like you do love this team, and wanted to say thank you.  

Regarding the thread, my first quick pass as I’ll probably read later tonight in it’s entirety is very interesting.  I don’t doubt Gore gets the yellow jacket.  He’s the third all time rusher.  I doubt anyone is going to let him get another 726 yards to get past Payton.  It’s really too bad we mismanaged this team to lose Peters.  It speaks to the buffoons we had in charge at that time.

I don’t have a problem with guys still early in their career not being a lock like Diggs.  Barring injuries for him and White if repeating year after year will get there.  Maybe Allen someday.  That’s a conversation for a decade from now.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Was the hall of fame around from the very beginning? My guess is there was a backlog of only the best of the best to get through for a bit.

Also, do you have some examples of more than a handful of players that aren't the best of the best recently who have gotten in?

Hardboy, the NFL HOF started in 1960.  You’re correct there are a lot of players from the inception that never made it in the hall.  I’m not the best historian, but i know there are guys from the 30’s etc. that will never get in and that is too bad.  Even the senior committee tries their best, but not sure if they found everyone that innovative for their time.  The century committee was a good start last year throwing in 20 or so total.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Floyd Little, Kurt Warner, Tom Flores at coach, Art Monk, Dick Labeau, Troy Aikman, Curtis Martin...the list could go on for days. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Depressing to think we traded away 2 Hall of Famers (Peters and Marshawn) in an 18 month span.  Good job Russ.  That might’ve actually been Nix too.  

The Peters debacle was just a disaster by the FO, but Marshawn did not give us a choice.

25 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Floyd Little, Kurt Warner, Tom Flores at coach, Art Monk, Dick Labeau, Troy Aikman, Curtis Martin...the list could go on for days. 

All absolutely terrific.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, John Lynch, Kurt Warner, Marv Levy, Art Monk, Terrell Davis.... 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Depressing to think we traded away 2 Hall of Famers (Peters and Marshawn) in an 18 month span.  Good job Russ.  That might’ve actually been Nix too.  

There are plenty of people around here that defend Bills trading Peters. Yes it is true he had recently signed a deal but it was clear to everyone he was special. He deserved to be treated special and given a new contract. You break the rules for special talent and he was. He was a top 3 LT in the league and he was not paid commensurate with his play.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It’s up for debate, so let’s debate it:

”Is Cam Newton a hall of famer?”

”No. Absolutely not.”

Debate over.

College hall of famer for sure though. I don’t think he was wearing babushkas back then.

• Like (+1) 1