Lee, we hardly knew ye

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

The topic is 'freakish' athleticism, I don't see it and nobody can point it out to me.

Again, you aren’t paying attention, clearly. 

See: Bengals game 2019, @Pats 2019 - those were easy just off the top of my head. The TD against Indy in the playoffs was an incredibly athletic play. You’re simply being stubborn in an effort to cling to your opinion rather than being open-minded and realizing that perhaps a guy who has been in the same room and every practice with Knox has more insight than you do. Rock on brother. 

Edited by eball

1 hour ago, eball said:

Again, you aren’t paying attention, clearly. 

See: Bengals game 2019, @Pats 2019 - those were easy just off the top of my head. The TD against Indy in the playoffs was an incredibly athletic play. You’re simply being stubborn in an effort to cling to your opinion rather than being open-minded and realizing that perhaps a guy who has been in the same room and every practice with Knox has more insight than you do. Rock on brother. 

maybe I am being stubborn, or maybe I just have a different expectation from a player when I hear 'freakish'.  To me a freakish athlete would stand out and dominate. Remember Jevon 'The Freak' Kearse?  That's what I think of when I hear freakish, Knox doesn't stand out. Sorry , he could have amazing combine numbers but as we have all learned over the years, that doesn't equate to on the field freakish performances.

12 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I explained the chart to you. 

I want to make sure I’m getting it right then... you’re saying given that Josh Allen is able to hit his check down options more often... there is room for us to run more plays? 

I’m honestly kind of confused, partly by you and partly by myself. I don’t think running more plays fixes any gaps in our offense? 

Sorry for the confusion. 

So being in the 72nd percentile is 'freakish'. Right.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Knox has potential and I'm optimistic but for now he has lost Allen's trust because of all the drops. The wide open drops have hurt the offense and the team. You can see Josh hesitant to throw to him and as you say, he'll pass up an open Knox for a not-wide-open WR at times. It's going to take a higher level of performance from Dawss to earn that trust back over time. 

I was very excited when the Bills took Knox in the draft from listening to Matt Miller's podcast and again, still optimistic he can get it together.

Dude that's just in your head. I don't have the video handy but will search later and add to this post if I find it. But anyway Josh Allen says the exact same thing that Lee Smith says. Dawson Knox is a freak in terms of potential and that he just needs time for it all to click, and when it does ....  

Edited by ProcessAccepted

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

We hardly knew ye? He spent many years with us and was an exceptional blocking TE. I knew him quite well. It amazes me how much some people hate on him.

Yes some even made up penalties he made this year and he had none despite being used to block some of AFC West pass blockers due to his familiarity with them.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:28 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Talking about the brief time he spent with NE/Brady (2011, or Brady's 10th year).  He said Brady is very hard on his teammates, ultra competitive, demands a lot from his guys, and has zero interest in you screwing up even 1 play at practice.  But that you can see no one is happier for his teammates when they win the championship.

[I kind of wonder if that's a transition Allen will need to make, Palmer and others talk about how likeable he is and always happy, is he going to have to learn a "switch" and demand more of his guys?  Wish TGAF had followed up on this....]

I won't belabor this point, given thread focus on Knox. But, this, this, this.

Been thinking about it quite a bit...At some point--and soon--JA is going to have to make this transition: from I'll play CofD with you, to I'm gonna kick your a** all over the field if you screw up in practice.

No idea if he's doing some of it already, or even if it's in DNA. Maybe it's a time thing: he needs to build up more gravitas.

But, jmo, I sure as hell hope he evolves soonest.

3 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

I won't belabor this point, given thread focus on Knox. But, this, this, this.

Been thinking about it quite a bit...At some point--and soon--JA is going to have to make this transition: from I'll play CofD with you, to I'm gonna kick your a** all over the field if you screw up in practice.

No idea if he's doing some of it already, or even if it's in DNA. Maybe it's a time thing: he needs to build up more gravitas.

But, jmo, I sure as hell hope he evolves soonest.

There are different ways to lead.

Smith was in the huddle with Brady when Brady was a 10 year vet.  I expect the ways a 10 year vet can lead guys who are almost all younger, is different than the ways a 24 year old rookie can lead guys who are older.

One of the things a Vikes OLman said about Diggs in an interview was “Those Eyes”.  Apparently someone would make a mistake and in the huddle, Diggs would just be looking at them.  Not saying anything, just LOOKING, until they were “OK, OK, I get it, stop looking at me”.  Point being it’s not all on Allen to lead.

I’m pretty sure that the Allen who is nice and smiley when talking to Cris Collingsworth and the Allen who is in the huddle when the team is down 21-28 in the 3rd Q are so different, they might be from different planets.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:02 AM, klos63 said:

He knows better than I , but I haven't seen anything 'freakish' about Knox yet. Most NFL players are great athletes, nothing really stands out with him. I wouldn't cut him, I think he's a decent 2nd tight end, but would love to get Engram from the Giants for this season.

I've heard most NFL TEs and LBs described as athletic freaks some way or another. It's because they see these guys crushing the weight room while running as fast skill position players.. making some acrobatic plays along the way. Knox and Edmunds, almost every team has 2 guys just like this.

And ofc they are athletic freaks. The better ones are good at football as well. 

I like the video, I love hearing from players. Teammates aren't really supposed to be a source of objectivity.

3 minutes ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

I've heard most NFL TEs and LBs described as athletic freaks some way or another. It's because they see these guys crushing the weight room while running as fast skill position players.. making some acrobatic plays along the way. Knox and Edmunds, almost every team has 2 guys just like this.

And ofc they are athletic freaks. The better ones are good at football as well. 

I like the video, I love hearing from players. Teammates aren't really supposed to be a source of objectivity.

The guys mess around outside football - shoot hoops and so forth.  I think they're probably pretty shrewd judges of sheer athletic ability.  When Lee Smith says that Allen is an "athletic freak" or that Dawson Knox is, he probably does have a fairly basis for judging that among his peers on an NFL team who are all freak athletes relative to athletes in the general population.

The question still remains, can Knox transfer that freak athleticism to skilled plays on the football field?  After last season, for Josh Allen, the answer would appear to be "yes".  For Knox, the jury is still out.