Only 2 teams put in requests to interview Daboll

YoloinOhio

On 2/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, Nihilarian said:

Daboll has put together some really good game plans for the passing game for the 2020 season no question. Yet, those plans faltered big time in the playoffs. The Bills run game was almost nonexistent some games.

I don't see anyone here calling for his head at this point in this thread.

However, If Allen suffers a severe injury, concussion running the ball I could see that changing very quickly. Watching that hit on Allen in that video I linked by the Patriots should send chills down every Bills fans spine. 

Even the Bills GM Brandon Beane stated that the team needs to focus on building a better run game. 

As to my earlier point, if Daboll is so good at developing QB Josh Allen, then what happened to Nathan Peterman? Why didn't that young, inexperienced QB evolve into even a decent backup under Daboll? 

It's my contention that Daboll has called the Bills offense from the very start like he has an experienced, veteran QB behind center and he hasn't had that before this season. This year, in his third season, Josh Allen has evolved into a top QB in this passing scheme. 

I also feel that Daboll is riding Josh Allen's coattails in using the kid to show how great "his' passing offensive scheme is...and utilizing him with designed runs because he can't figure out how to get more out of the RBs on the roster. 

If the man is such a good offensive coordinator, then why does the Buffalo Bills run game look like such a dismal failure with just the Bills RB's? 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And he turned one down.

Glad to hear that 😁👍

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not saying Daboll is on his way to stardom. But Bills fans want to give him all the blame for 2019 and none of the credit for 2020. It is intellectually illogical. 

So enough Bills fans are irrationally critical of Daboll that you can label "Bills fans" in general as anti-Daboll?

I think you are exaggerating a lot there.     

Daboll has a mostly unsuccessful history as an NFL OC....... it's illogical to suggest otherwise.........because it's just a fact..........he has plenty to prove yet.

That doesn't mean he can't but there are plenty of coaches who had a brief run where they looked like geniuses and then it turned out it was just a good idea or two that was caught on a rising tide that doomed them to success.   Briefly.

What you want to see from a great coordinator is the kind of thing we saw from Wade Phillips for decades...........the ability to adapt and get the most out of the personnel on hand consistently from week to week and from year to year.     Not just a brief success.....even if it were GREAT like that of a Sam Wyche or Mike Martz.     

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't see anyone here calling for his head at this point in this thread.

However, If Allen suffers a severe injury, concussion running the ball I could see that changing very quickly. Watching that hit on Allen in that video I linked by the Patriots should send chills down every Bills fans spine. 

Even the Bills GM Brandon Beane stated that the team needs to focus on building a better run game. 

As to my earlier point, if Daboll is so good at developing QB Josh Allen, then what happened to Nathan Peterman? Why didn't that young, inexperienced QB evolve into even a decent backup under Daboll? 

It's my contention that Daboll has called the Bills offense from the very start like he has an experienced, veteran QB behind center and he hasn't had that before this season. This year, in his third season, Josh Allen has evolved into a top QB in this passing scheme. 

I also feel that Daboll is riding Josh Allen's coattails in using the kid to show how great "his' passing offensive scheme is...and utilizing him with designed runs because he can't figure out how to get more out of the RBs on the roster. 

If the man is such a good offensive coordinator, then why does the Buffalo Bills run game look like such a dismal failure with just the Bills RB's? 

That 13-3 regular season record and division championship, and post season wins does say he is doing most things right, wouldn’t ya think..., that and there's more to it than meets the eye, we had Ford injured then out on IR, and Spain who the previous season was a fine run blocker, then he got to big for his britches..., having both out/gone made a big difference in the run game, this past season, ya can’t just poop out a good O line guy and call it a day... it ain’t that easy... it’s like you don’t think the coaching staff is busy trying to fix the issue, cool yer jets a little😁👍

39 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree with almost everything you’ve said... but this is just straight up illogical. 

Josh is a generational physical talent and took 3 years to get where he is with all of the resources and time invested in just Josh Allen. 

Nathan Peterman had 1 season with Brian Daboll in which Brian Daboll was pouring all of his time into the aforementioned generational physical talent drafted that year. I mean *****, the guy is supposed to perform miracles and turn a JAG 5th round QB into a useful piece in just 1 year? 

Edited by JGMcD2

25 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I agree with almost everything you’ve said... but this is just straight up illogical. 

Josh is a generational physical talent and took 3 years to get where he is with all of the resources and time invested in just Josh Allen. 

Nathan Peterman had 1 season with Brian Daboll in which Brian Daboll was pouring all of his time into the aforementioned generational physical talent drafted that year. I mean *****, the guy is supposed to perform miracles and turn a JAG 5th round QB into a useful piece in just 1 year? 

While I agree that the difference between Peterman and Allen is a grand canyon wide gap. Why didn't the OC see this previous to the team giving him the start?

Welp, with Peterman starting that 2018 season at QB, he got all the reps and all the focus of that  OC in training camp and the preseason... and yet he couldn't even develop him into a decent backup QB holding a clipboard? 

Peterman is still in the NFL as a backup QB to QB Derek Carr with the Raiders.

Anyway, if you go back and watch that 2018 season opener Ravens game that Peterman started and played nearly three full quarters. Bills OC Brian Daboll was calling pass plays that Peterman simply didn't have the arm to complete. 

Just like Josh Allen, I feel that Brian Daboll is learning as he goes and while the Bills passing offense was outstanding during most of the regular season in 2020. They did fall on their face for that Titans game and twice against the Chiefs. Not to mention, a rather, not very good performance in any game in the playoffs. 

Against the Baltimore Ravens, that high scoring regular season Bills offense only scored 10 points that game. 

They also failed to keep up with the Chiefs as Josh Allen was under constant pressure all game long. Ten QB hits and four sacks by the Chiefs defense. Buffalo, with not much of a run game the QB is forced to carry the offense. It shouldn't be that way. 

Where was the passing game innovation for the playoffs we all saw during the regular season?

In any event, for the 2022 season, I can only hope that Daboll get the Bills run game working as well as the passing game worked this past season. And the passing game keeps evolving into an offense that nobody can stop. 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

While I agree that the difference between Peterman and Allen is a grand canyon wide gap. Why didn't the OC see this previous to the team giving him the start?

Welp, with Peterman starting that 2018 season at QB, he got all the reps and all the focus of that  OC in training camp and the preseason... and yet he couldn't even develop him into a decent backup QB holding a clipboard? 

Peterman is still in the NFL as a backup QB to QB Derek Carr with the Raiders.

Anyway, if you go back and watch that 2018 season opener Ravens game that Peterman started and played nearly three full quarters. Bills OC Brian Daboll was calling pass plays that Peterman simply didn't have the arm to complete. 

This doesn’t even make any sense and using it as a way to knock Daboll is just absurd. It’s literally one of the biggest reaches I’ve ever seen on this board and that’s not an exaggeration. 

Everyone and their mother knew Josh Allen was better than Nathan Peterman. The Bills spent a 5th round pick on Peterman and a 1st round pick on Allen. You think Daboll sat there and said “Oh boy, let’s draft this Allen kid even though Peterman is better” and then watched them in camp and said “Yeah, he’s significantly better we can’t start Allen.” They made the call to start Peterman because they were going to try and let Josh sit an watch for as long as possible... it has nothing to do with saying Peterman was better than Josh. If you seriously think anyone in the building, especially Daboll thought Peterman was better it’s not even worth continuing. 

Literally the biggest, most nonsensical reach I’ve seen to date. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:56 AM, First Round Bust said:

I kind of wish Frazier had gotten the Texans job, we would have gotten 2 number 3 picks and the D is in good hands overall with coach McD and maybe a change would do the D good.  Our D line coach was the Panthers D coord as well so we are well stocked coaching that side of the ball..which makes me feel better that Daboll was not a prime candidate to move on...their loss is our gain.

judging by the number of interviews... interesting that Eric Bieniemy had another year of consideration and no job.

wonder if he has been given an offer and turned it down or  does he interview poorly and suffers from the stigma of basically running Andy Reid's offense for him.

How does it matter if he calls the game or if it is Reid's offense.   Teams hiring Bieniemy would be looking for HC value from him. He would not be joining these teams to be their OC

34 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

This doesn’t even make any sense and using it as a way to knock Daboll is just absurd. It’s literally one of the biggest reaches I’ve ever seen on this board and that’s not an exaggeration. 

Everyone and their mother knew Josh Allen was better than Nathan Peterman. The Bills spent a 5th round pick on Peterman and a 1st round pick on Allen. You think Daboll sat there and said “Oh boy, let’s draft this Allen kid even though Peterman is better” and then watched them in camp and said “Yeah, he’s significantly better we can’t start Allen.” They made the call to start Peterman because they were going to try and let Josh sit an watch for as long as possible... it has nothing to do with saying Peterman was better than Josh. If you seriously think anyone in the building, especially Daboll thought Peterman was better it’s not even worth continuing. 

Literally the biggest, most nonsensical reach I’ve seen to date. 

Nowhere, did I debate that anyone thought Peterman was the better QB.  Don't make stuff up to to defend Daboll. In fact, I stated, that the gap between them was grand canyon wide. 

What was absurd, was the thinking that Nathan Peterman was good enough to start that game in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Nowhere, did I debate that anyone thought Peterman was the better QB.  Don't make stuff up to to defend Daboll. In fact, I stated, that the gap between them was grand canyon wide. 

What was absurd, was the thinking that Nathan Peterman was good enough to start that game in the first place. 

52 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You literally said it right here... WHY DIDN’T THE OC (DABOLL) SEE THIS (THE GAP) PREVIOUS TO THE TEAM GIVING HIM (PETERMAN) THE START?

Don’t say absolutely idiotic things and then have no way to defend them. 

This is all based on the premise that the OC is the sole person deciding the starting QB AND completely neglecting the fact that Josh Allen wasn’t starting Week 1 regardless of if our QB was Nathan Peterman, Nate Robinson or a guy they grabbed working at a Nathan’s hot dog stand. 

Edited by JGMcD2

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So enough Bills fans are irrationally critical of Daboll that you can label "Bills fans" in general as anti-Daboll?

I think you are exaggerating a lot there.     

Daboll has a mostly unsuccessful history as an NFL OC....... it's illogical to suggest otherwise.........because it's just a fact..........he has plenty to prove yet.

That doesn't mean he can't but there are plenty of coaches who had a brief run where they looked like geniuses and then it turned out it was just a good idea or two that was caught on a rising tide that doomed them to success.   Briefly.

What you want to see from a great coordinator is the kind of thing we saw from Wade Phillips for decades...........the ability to adapt and get the most out of the personnel on hand consistently from week to week and from year to year.     Not just a brief success.....even if it were GREAT like that of a Sam Wyche or Mike Martz.     

Nobody is pretending Daboll is Wade Phillips. If you think anyone is arguing he is a great coordinator you are in the wrong place. 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, First Round Bust said:

I kind of wish Frazier had gotten the Texans job, we would have gotten 2 number 3 picks and the D is in good hands overall with coach McD and maybe a change would do the D good.  Our D line coach was the Panthers D coord as well so we are well stocked coaching that side of the ball..which makes me feel better that Daboll was not a prime candidate to move on...their loss is our gain.

judging by the number of interviews... interesting that Eric Bieniemy had another year of consideration and no job.

wonder if he has been given an offer and turned it down or  does he interview poorly and suffers from the stigma of basically running Andy Reid's offense for him.

No, to me, almost assuredly the reason Bieniemy did not get a head coaching job and not many serious interviews(?), and may never become a head coach, is because of his many run ins with the law when he was younger.  It does not, in my view, have to do with the play calling thing or the fact that he is black, but  is because of the facts related to his sorted personal history and crimes.

Do you think any NFL owner will ever put their over $2 billion team in the hands of someone with such a sorted legal past? I don't, at least not in the foreseeable future, as there is no way they would want this person as the face of their valuable franchise.  Just a few of his many criminal acts/convictions would be enough to make almost all NFL owner not consider him.  His best chance may be to replace Reid when he retires.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/27/2021 at 6:02 AM, jeremy2020 said:

He's had one good season. This would be like handing over your team to Adam Gase based on his 1 good year with Manning. 

He's had two good seasons. Which is why he had an interview last year as well.

But yeah, I think people may think two seasons isn't enough yet.

Which down the road could make a lot of teams look stupid. Or maybe just the opposite, making them look smart. Right now it's not possible to tell which will be the best way people look back at passing on him this year.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting. 

On 2/26/2021 at 4:51 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/brian-daboll-named-ap-s-assistant-coach-of-the-year

🙄

I expect there are some concerns about Daboll as a HC

Somehow I don't think concern about his abilities as an OC and someone who can develop a young QB are at the top

First off - if you look at the list and the rules the NFL used with COVID - it was harder for playoff coordinators without a bye to do interviews and there were fewer requests.  The number of byes was cut in half due to the set-up - therefore cutting some logical time a guy like Daboll had to interview.  Even a guy like Bieniemy, with bye weeks, didn’t interview for all of the requests - COVID limited it.

Second - I think given their limited time and the current pandemic and the fact that Daboll is “home” right now - I believe he was looking for a specific situation and some of these playoff coordinators without byes - gave some limited lists of who they might potentially interview with.  

Third - I think Hapless is spot on - I don’t think his job as OC (running game or not) or his development of JA would hold him back.  I do think in some of his previous gigs and even here in Buffalo early - his attitude and his temperament might be more of a concern.  He is known to be a fiery and passionate guy that has on more than one occasion said things to the players that in the heat of the moment hurt relationships.  It was part of the drive to move him to the press box and get him away from Josh and allow someone else to be with Josh on the sidelines.  Those things matter.

In the end - I am not surprised by the limited requests and I think Daboll has a plan on his next HC gig - he is looking for a Chargers/Jets type situation with either a very young QB or a very high draft pick that he can mold and his current situation is good - so there is no need to interview with teams like Detroit, Atlanta, or even Philadelphia (with the mess their QBs became).  If there is one thing I think McDermott teaches - it is preparation and I would think Daboll was prepared for what interviews he would accept and ultimately what his plan was.  We will see, but it is better for us - keep the consistency.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nobody is pretending Daboll is Wade Phillips. If you think anyone is arguing he is a great coordinator you are in the wrong place. 

I think a lot of people here do think that his recent award is proof that he is an elite OC..........those who point to it as proof that he isn't overrated think that he just won the MVP award for coordinators.

The reality is that those type of awards tend to be given out to they who most exceed expectations.    And Daboll is a guy whose high water mark in 6 years of NFL OC work was what?  24th?   So yeah he made a jump from never having an offense that wasn't bad to one that was near the top of the league.   

On 2/26/2021 at 4:35 PM, BarleyNY said:

He developed a very raw QB.  That is huge in today’s NFL.  I am surprised he didn’t see more action.  I wonder if he’s set on staying and it got around.  

Good speculation on the word getting out that Daboll was not interested IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1