Only 2 teams put in requests to interview Daboll

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

Sometimes the hires may no sense at all in years gone by. Still hard to believe that Mike Pettine from the drought-era Bills got hired by Cleveland, what a major downer for Browns fans.

They were none too excited about their Browns interviewing Daboll last year.

22 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Next year there could be 3 :thumbsup:

Are you expecting more St. Francis high school grads to get GM jobs?    I thought the Polian mafia was thinning out.   RICO laws and such.......

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills were 6th in rushing attempts and 8th in rushing yards in 2019. How soon we forget.

They were also a bad offense in 2019.

The similarities I see with Mularkey and Wyche were that they also had years where they were successful running the ball or passing the ball.  Mularkey almost got the Bills to the playoffs in his first season as HC with a power running game.    The following season was an atrocity of bad QB's being asked to throw and throw.

Ultimately it's just coaching inconsistency.   Teams would catch up to what they were doing and they would be painfully slow to adapt. 

For all the good that was accomplished offensively in 2020, I thought "Mr. I'm in the championship game every year"  Daboll showed a lack of awareness down the stretch.........taking low hanging fruit instead of prepping his team for postseason football..........and his offense then looked plain BAD in the playoffs.    Josh Allen running around for big plays or little else worked.   

Daboll wants to sell himself as a key part of New England's success..........but he needs to show he can adapt offensively the way Belichick and his OC's have.    Lotta' tape out there now and KC was hardly the '85 Bears and shut them down so he's going to have to adapt and improve in a number of areas in 2021.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The running game squashed his resume

The pathetic nature of our run game, especially in the playoffs doomed him. He's capable of calling a great innovative game and then he follows it with a head scratcher. He relies too much on Josh being his running game "escape valve".....

• Like (+1) 1

maybe NFL teams have finally decided to follow the historical track record of Bill Belichecks coaching tree. It very seldom produces good HC material.

Unless you want you count Kirk Ferentz coaching resume at Iowa, even many going to college jobs suck.

Edited by cba fan

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They were also a bad offense in 2019.

The similarities I see with Mularkey and Wyche were that they also had years where they were successful running the ball or passing the ball.  Mularkey almost got the Bills to the playoffs in his first season as HC with a power running game.    The following season was an atrocity of bad QB's being asked to throw and throw.

Ultimately it's just coaching inconsistency.   Teams would catch up to what they were doing and they would be painfully slow to adapt. 

For all the good that was accomplished offensively in 2020, I thought "Mr. I'm in the championship game every year"  Daboll showed a lack of awareness down the stretch.........taking low hanging fruit instead of prepping his team for postseason football..........and his offense then looked plain BAD in the playoffs.    Josh Allen running around for big plays or little else worked.   

Daboll wants to sell himself as a key part of New England's success..........but he needs to show he can adapt offensively the way Belichick and his OC's have.    Lotta' tape out there now and KC was hardly the '85 Bears and shut them down so he's going to have to adapt and improve in a number of areas in 2021.  

As you perfectly stated, Daboll struggles to adjust. He'll never be what Belichick was. A genius of developing a new and unique game plan every week.  It's like Brian says "I have my big athletic qb. Let's have him do everything". Week in...week out

Edited by LABILLBACKER

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Fans tend to overrate their players...and now apparently their coaches.

Other teams looking at potential HC's look beyond their rankings for coordinators, meaning they are wising up about whom to hire as a HC.  Too many bad hires of "hot" offensive coordinators that aren't suited to being in charge.  McDaniels with Denver and Gase with Miami/NY Jets come to mind.  

It may take another 1-2 seasons to rehabilitate his previous coaching resume. 

Considering Daboll won Ap Coordinator of the year, I don't think he's overrated by fans.  Recent history includes Roman, Fangio, Pat Shurmur, and Wade.  All very good coordinators, who got HC looks.

Your other points are valid though.  

• Agree 2

This topic came up in the beginning of the football year if memory serves when we won the first four games or maybe earlier.  Some on this board were calling for his head the previous year, then others were saying he’s going to be a head coach at the end of the year.  

I stated a couple of times he’ll need to show over a couple of years and he will most likely get a strong look.  I also said eventually Frazier would get another shot if we have two great years.  I was roasted for those opinions and that’s ok.  Most people are polite in their disagreements and makes it interesting hearing opposing views.  I’m still of the opinion both are coordinators if they replicate their performances to another SB run whether we get there or not, will receive strong consideration.  I firmly believe we will have a very good year in 2021, amd Im prepared we lose one or both in 2022.  It somewhat reflects what I’ve read here in that maybe other owners want to see consistency.  Daboll was considered by the Chargers in my opinion as he has a relationship with the GM as they go back to high school so they are familiar with each other.  The Jets have watched up close what Daboll’s schemes have done against them.

Bottom line is if he continues to have a leading offense in the top three and is given partial credit for Allen’s ascendence, then he will be looked at by the avg. 7 teams that fire their coach a year fir a position.  Besides no one knows if he turned down the Jets given that dumpster fire.  What can elevate him is it’s commonly known McD’s strength is defense so Daboll may work under McD’s direction, but it’s his creativity and decision making that helped this team.

Best thing he has going for him is the chemistry with this team's core players. 

Don't take it wrong, I think he can take us where we need to go if/when he figures out a running game. 

I'm not entirely sure his exodus from Alabama after 1 year was voluntary.

He's a good fit for this team, though I do wonder if the running game is him and not the personnel.

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The pathetic nature of our run game, especially in the playoffs doomed him. He's capable of calling a great innovative game and then he follows it with a head scratcher. He relies too much on Josh being his running game "escape valve".....

Is it that or does he realize he can’t fix the run blocking mid season and Moss was hurt later in the year.  They ran well against the Chargers and Pats.  I think they need to adapt their blocking style and yes they need a more explosive back to make it work.  My guess is he relied on Allen more because he didn’t think Singletary could get it done, and neither did the Chiefs.

I could very well be wrong as that happens on occasion (or more 😇).  We’ve all said to get to the big game we need a running game, and an effective rush with four.

I like to be a glass half full, so the positive is we get another year of Allen and Daboll together and should be able to be creative with their plans for next year.  They have the entire off season to review all of their games and see what they can improve upon and what they need to tweak.  I’m betting not as much personnel, but a change in blocking scheme.  Heck, they might even bring in a consultant.  There are a lot of line coaching gurus out there that could consult and assist.

Edited by machine gun kelly

12 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills were 6th in rushing attempts and 8th in rushing yards in 2019. How soon we forget.

Now, take away 109 attempts, 510 yards rushing, 9 TDs by the QB and see where that puts the Bills RB production?

317 attempts 1374 yards from Singletary and Gore. Those numbers put the Bills last in rush attempts and 31st in rushing yards.

IMO The problem isn't the line or the RBs as Singletary averaged 5.1 YPC in 2019, which was the same as Titans RB Derrick Henry...who led the NFL in rushing the past two seasons.

Singletary still averaged 4.4 YPC in 2020. 

The difference that I see is the innovation that we saw in the Buffalo Bills passing game each week vs the lack of innovation we saw in the Bills run game.

The 2020 Buffalo Bills had the #2 offense in the NFL. 11th in passing attempts, 3rd in passing yards. 4th in net yards per passing attempt!

Yet, 17th in rushing attempts, 20th in rush yards. 20th in yards per rushing attempt. 

Notice the difference?

QB Josh Allen was a top five QB in 2020, with 4544 passing yards, 37 TDs and a 69.2 completion percentage. Yowzah! 

I get that the fact that Allen can break free from the pocket for a big gain like he did in some playoff games as he was the Buffalo leading rusher in that Colts playoff game.

Led with 7 rush attempts against the Ravens along with Singletary in the division playoff game. Allen was again the leading rusher for the Bills in the AFC championship game. 

The very last thing this franchise should want to see going forward... is their elite pocket passing QB being the leading rusher in any game ever again!! As he is simply far to valuable throwing the ball in the pocket vs ending up like Cam Newton, RG3 because of injuries from running. Eff that! 

Allen has evolved into an elite pocket passer...which we all saw in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Now, take away 109 attempts, 510 yards rushing, 9 TDs by the QB and see where that puts the Bills RB production?

317 attempts 1374 yards from Singletary and Gore. Those numbers put the Bills last in rush attempts and 31st in rushing yards.

IMO The problem isn't the line or the RBs as Singletary averaged 5.1 YPC in 2019, which was the same as Titans RB Derrick Henry...who led the NFL in rushing the past two seasons.

Singletary still averaged 4.4 YPC in 2020. 

The difference that I see is the innovation that we saw in the Buffalo Bills passing game each week vs the lack of innovation we saw in the Bills run game.

The 2020 Buffalo Bills had the #2 offense in the NFL. 11th in passing attempts, 3rd in passing yards. 4th in net yards per passing attempt!

Yet, 17th in rushing attempts, 20th in rush yards. 20th in yards per rushing attempt. 

Notice the difference?

QB Josh Allen was a top five QB in 2020, with 4544 passing yards, 37 TDs and a 69.2 completion percentage. Yowzah! 

I get that the fact that Allen can break free from the pocket for a big gain like he did in some playoff games as he was the Buffalo leading rusher in that Colts playoff game.

Led with 7 rush attempts against the Ravens along with Singletary in the division playoff game. Allen was again the leading rusher for the Bills in the AFC championship game. 

The very last thing this franchise should want to see going forward... is their elite pocket passing QB being the leading rusher in any game ever again!! As he is simply far to valuable throwing the ball in the pocket vs ending up like Cam Newton, RG3 because of injuries from running. Eff that! 

Allen has evolved into an elite pocket passer...which we all saw in 2020. 

Cam Newton's shoulder is a throwing injury not a running injury. 

The Bills running game issues are about run blocking and average running backs.

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok yeah he's a great coordinator...........moving on......name me one NFL HC ever that had been previously fired from 3 NFL coordinator gigs.

It's one thing for a club to hire a young guy like Nick Siriani and defend his whiteness.........it's another to pass on an Eric Bienemy to hire a white guy who has been canned from a lower job 3 times.

Being a HC is not like being a QB........there are plenty of capable people to fill the jobs..........and yes, if Daboll wants to overcome his past and help sell himself to not only the ownership but also the fanbase and local media of a market as a new HC........yeah I think showing growth in his current job would be his best shot.  

Defend his whiteness???

W T actual F is that BS?!

Defend hiring a person because of the color of their skin?? I thought bigotry had no place in this country. 

Go back to the 50’s and people are saying the same disgusting things (oddly enough the same group of people), just different a target. 

Why perpetuate something disgusting?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Eagles reached out to a Bills official very late last week, seeking to set up an interview with Daboll on short notice, but did not submit a formal request form.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-denied-eagles-permission-to-interview-brian-daboll-prior-to-philadelphia-hiring-nick-sirianni/amp/

How many teams inquired, found out he wasn't interested, and moved on before submitting a formal request form? Probably closer to 7 teams interested than to 2, I'd say.

This thread is deceptive and is a non-story but it's funny to see how desperate @BADOLBILZ and @BillsVet are to push a narrative.

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-denied-eagles-permission-to-interview-brian-daboll-prior-to-philadelphia-hiring-nick-sirianni/amp/

How many teams inquired, found out he wasn't interested, and moved on before submitting a formal request form? Probably closer to 7 teams interested than to 2, I'd say.

This thread is deceptive and is a non-story but it's funny to see how desperate @BADOLBILZ and @BillsVet are to push a narrative.

Reallllyyyy stretching to find ways to knock a dude that just got assistant of the year. Looks sort of pathetic 

• Agree 2