Has anyone ever been to a psychic/medium?

TBBills Fan

My mom dragged my father, sister and I to see this psychic dude in Geneva.  It was more like a show with an audience where he went to each table and made his “predictions” and such.

When he got to my table my mother asked him what my sister and I were going to do for professions when we were adults (we we’re both in high school). 

The man told her that I would be in a job that required a uniform, and that my sister would do something where animals were involved.

My sister is a regional Vice President for a pharmaceutical company in the NE, and I am a psychologist.  At least dad took us out to dinner that night.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My mom dragged my father, sister and I to see this psychic dude in Geneva.  It was more like a show with an audience where he went to each table and made his “predictions” and such.

When he got to my table my mother asked him what my sister and I were going to do for professions when we were adults (we we’re both in high school). 

The man told her that I would be in a job that required a uniform, and that my sister would do something where animals were involved.

My sister is a regional Vice President for a pharmaceutical company in the NE, and I am a psychologist.  At least dad took us out to dinner that night.

Well Pharmaceutical companies test things on animals so ya see it's all connected.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Weird that my girlfriend is getting a reading as I type this...

Please let us know what she thought. Complete farce? Mildly interesting? Somewhat baffling? 

It’s easy to poke fun at, since it’s so full of malarkey in general.  

I feel like I’m coming of as “pro-psychic” and that’s definitely NOT the case at all.  Believe me! Some specific things do make me curious though. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Please let us know what she thought. Complete farce? Mildly interesting? Somewhat baffling? 

It’s easy to poke fun at, since it’s so full of malarkey in general.  

I feel like I’m coming of as “pro-psychic” and that’s definitely NOT the case at all.  Believe me! Some specific things do make me curious though. 

We stayed at a haunted B and B last night. I’m typing this from our bedroom. The place is legit. Weird stuff happened last night. But the owner lady is a medium. My girlfriend seemed really impressed by her reading. I’m a skeptic myself 

• Like (+1) 1

Nope. Don’t believe in them. There have been all sorts of scientific experiments into psychics stretching back 100+ years (Harry Houdini was really into disproving psychics after his mother’s death). Almost all of them have proven the psychics tested were frauds. Almost every well known psychic over the years has eventually been proven to be a fraud.

Anyone remember the whole Uri Gellar story?

https://www.damninteresting.com/project-alpha-and-the-spoon-benders/

If you’re into this kind of stuff, I’d highly recommend checking out “The Amazing Randi” and watching his documentary “an honest liar”. He exposed a lot of the common psychic scams. He’s dedicated his life to exposing these frauds. He’s investigated 100’s and 100’s of the most well known psychics and hasn’t found a real one yet.

I watched it on amazon prime (iirc). It was free on there (at the time anyway, not sure about now).

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, Gugny said:

Yeah, I'm 50.  In my 30s and 40s, my mom shared some things about my family's past that very few people know; not even my siblings.  I learned that neither of my grandfathers was my biological grandfather.  So I've got two extended families about whom I know absolutely nothing.

I don't want any more surprises, LOL.  I'm good.

lol fair enough

On 2/26/2021 at 4:28 PM, Augie said:

As I mentioned in the book thread, when I was in HS at St Joe’s we had to read a series of books about Near Death Experiences. It was interesting enough that I’ve read many more over the years (I read quite a bit). As I keep reading these books it becomes more and more interesting to me. I’ve just started another given to me by my mother....when you’re 93 years old you think about this stuff!

These accounts go back thousands of years and come from people all over the world with different religious and spiritual backgrounds, and people of all ages. The abundance and similarity of these accounts is fascinating. Could this all be a part of the normal medical process of dying? Of course! But we can’t know for sure and some accounts seem to defy the “natural medical” explanation. If you say you know for sure, I can’t take you seriously because there is no way to know FOR SURE. We don’t know what we don’t know, which is A LOT. You can strongly BELIEVE something, but you can’t KNOW this. I have a SIL who confuses her opinion with fact, and it drives me crazy! 

So, IF there IS another realm (or dimension, or whatever) we cannot see or feel, how do we know there isn’t some way to make a connection? I can’t say I can know either way. All we have is our beliefs. 

Now, most of this “industry” is absolute hot garbage, IMO. But I cannot know with absolute certainty that this is 100% the case.  It’s up to each of us to decide what we believe. Even if it just “helps you sleep better”, that has value. And it could be much more.....

I am 100% in agreement with this!  Im currently starting to read Journey of Souls by Michael Newton PH.D..  Im a St joes alumni as well, class of 96.

This book was actualyl recommended to me by the medium I saw, among others

It reallyu is fascinating, I am a very logical person, I have a career in sales, so I see through a lot of BS....I also have had some very strange and unexplainable things happen during my life that I have witnessed, so I do not rule out the possibility, in fact I KNOW there is a lot more about the universe and life itself than we understand collectively.  

On 2/26/2021 at 4:54 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

If they were psychic, wouldn’t they be hitting the lottery and be millionaires? 

Pyschic isnt the best term, its not about predicting the future, its about the veil between realities/dimensions being thin enough where they  are able to see and communicate with loved ones and entities on "the other side".  

On 2/26/2021 at 6:59 PM, Brennan Huff said:

thats pretty cool

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/27/2021 at 7:13 AM, Brennan Huff said:

We stayed at a haunted B and B last night. I’m typing this from our bedroom. The place is legit. Weird stuff happened last night. But the owner lady is a medium. My girlfriend seemed really impressed by her reading. I’m a skeptic myself 

I as well, open minded, but aware that 90% or more of it is BS...its the small percentage Im curious about....such as mediums, haunted locations etc......

Again, this is because I have experience and seen odd things myself, not second or third hand that really opened my mind to the possibility there is soooo much we do not truly understand

The CIA for example, has had some interesting programs.  Astral Projection, remote viewing things of that nature.  

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pad4a9/the-us-army-funded-astral-projection-and-hypnosis-research-in-the-80s

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2018/apr/25/how-to-remote-view/

Theres more with a quick search, some good some looks like garbage.  Just find it interesting, the govt has not dismissed it without looking into it.  Was it succesful?  If it was, they sure wouldnt tell us, so hard to say

26 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I am 100% in agreement with this!  Im currently starting to read Journey of Souls by Michael Newton PH.D..  Im a St joes alumni as well, class of 96.

This book was actualyl recommended to me by the medium I saw, among others

It reallyu is fascinating, I am a very logical person, I have a career in sales, so I see through a lot of BS....I also have had some very strange and unexplainable things happen during my life that I have witnessed, so I do not rule out the possibility, in fact I KNOW there is a lot more about the universe and life itself than we understand collectively.  

Pyschic isnt the best term, its not about predicting the future, its about the veil between realities/dimensions being thin enough where they  are able to see and communicate with loved ones and entities on "the other side".  

thats pretty cool

Thanks, I just ordered the book. 

What we know about the universe (or multiverse?) is about as much as a squirrel in my back yard knows about calculus. It wasn't’ that long ago that we thought the earth was the center of the universe, we were burning witches at the stake and using leaches in medicine. We just like to think we have far more wisdom than is actually the case. We don’t know how many dimensions exist or what dark energy and dark matter are, and they make up about 95% of the universe!  I’m somewhat proud that I am aware of how ignorant I am.     :) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:59 PM, Brennan Huff said:

Prediction: The psychic will tell your girlfriend that her boyfriend is way off on the topic of Jeff Skinner.

If that doesn’t happen, the psychic is a scam artist.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Prediction: The psychic will tell your girlfriend that her boyfriend is way off on the topic of Jeff Skinner.

If that doesn’t happen, the psychic is a scam artist.

Maybe if I was the only person to feel that way, but it’s not even close. Your opinion is in the minority. Skinner needs to be a top 6 forward 

8 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Maybe if I was the only person to feel that way, but it’s not even close. Your opinion is in the minority. Skinner needs to be a top 6 forward 

I’m not sure my opinion is in the minority, but if so, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong.  It’s not wrong.  Skinner blows.  If he went to the psychic, he’d be told that he should consider doing his whole job, not 25% of it.

• Disagree 1

21 hours ago, Augie said:

Thanks, I just ordered the book. 

What we know about the universe (or multiverse?) is about as much as a squirrel in my back yard knows about calculus. It wasn't’ that long ago that we thought the earth was the center of the universe, we were burning witches at the stake and using leaches in medicine. We just like to think we have far more wisdom than is actually the case. We don’t know how many dimensions exist or what dark energy and dark matter are, and they make up about 95% of the universe!  I’m somewhat proud that I am aware of how ignorant I am.     :) 

spot on my man.  I feel the exact same way.  There is soooo much more we dont know than we know, and that is why an open mind is key.

He has 2 other follow up books as well.  I am enjoying it so far, it is certainly an interesting read

My freshman year at Fredonia (50 years ago) I drove to Lily Dale with some friends because it was so close to us & we were curious.  The "psychic" who did our readings was very general and nothing she told me about the future came true.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.