Has anyone ever been to a psychic/medium?

TBBills Fan

Mimage.jpeg.adc794ef417e6cde51e0f960ec2a2fef.jpeg

A brief contribution from another thread courtesy of @WhoTom

I have never been myself to a psychic or medium, but I know some people I respect who have tried it.  Some other people made fun of them for going, and I’m sure the vast majority is pure nonsense. However, just because I can’t explain something does not mean I can rule it out. The universe (or multiverse?) is full of things I can’t even imagine. It’s made of something like 95% dark matter and dark energy, and nobody really understands what that is. We don’t even know how many dimensions exist. 

I will say that two people who visited the same psychic/medium both came away with some really amazing stuff. I don’t know how they could research in advance or look for leading clues based upon the reports of how things went. I’m sure there are some carnival type tricks that make for an entertaining experience, but the reports of those meetings had to make me wonder. These are smart folks who would not be easily duped. It wasn’t 100% accurate, but there was a strange amount that was correct or came to be.  Who am I to say???

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

image.jpeg.adc794ef417e6cde51e0f960ec2a2fef.jpeg

A brief contribution from another thread courtesy of @WhoTom.

I have never been myself to a psychic or medium, but I know some people I respect who have tried it.  Some other people made fun of them for going, and I’m sure the vast majority is pure nonsense. However, just because I can’t explain something does not mean I can rule it out. The universe (or multiverse?) is full of things I can’t even imagine. It’s made of something like 95% dark matter and dark energy, and nobody really understands what that is. We don’t even know how many dimensions exist. 

I will say that two people who visited the same psychic/medium both came away with some really amazing stuff. I don’t know how they could research in advance or look for leading clues based upon the reports of how things went. I’m sure there are some carnival type tricks that make for an entertaining experience, but the reports of those meetings had to make me wonder. These are smart folks who would not be easily duped. It wasn’t 100% accurate, but there was a strange amount that was correct or came to be.  Who am I to say???

Thank you.

I had a reading done, and as a skeptic with an open mind, with a sales backround and understanding of how to fish for information and lead people, I must say, I came away just speechless.  This man knew nothing but my first name, I didnt speak, he had no way to research me and the things he said were so spot on that he either is the best guesser in the world or there is more to it.

Quite blown away by the experience

And yes there is a lot of crap to weed through, but if 90% are con artists, that doesnt mean the other 10% are.  That is why I am curious as to others that may have tried

22 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Thank you.

I had a reading done, and as a skeptic with an open mind, with a sales backround and understanding of how to fish for information and lead people, I must say, I came away just speechless.  This man knew nothing but my first name, I didnt speak, he had no way to research me and the things he said were so spot on that he either is the best guesser in the world or there is more to it.

Quite blown away by the experience

And yes there is a lot of crap to weed through, but if 90% are con artists, that doesnt mean the other 10% are.  That is why I am curious as to others that may have tried

My sister has gone to them and her experiences have been the same as you describe.

I've never gone and never will.  IF I were to change my mind, I'd go to the one my sister has been to because she (as you stated above) was spot on and very specific.

I have no desire to go because I don't want to know what I don't know about my past and I have no interest in knowing what the future holds.  Honestly, both scare the ever livingshit out of me.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My sister has gone to them and her experiences have been the same as you describe.

I've never gone and never will.  IF I were to change my mind, I'd go to the one my sister has been to because she (as you stated above) was spot on and very specific.

I have no desire to go because I don't want to know what I don't know about my past and I have no interest in knowing what the future holds.  Honestly, both scare the ever livingshit out of me.

the future is yet to be written, we have choices to make so it really wasnt about my future, things like that.  It was more like advice regarding the future....it did dive into my past and I was told things I didnt even know that my mom was able to verify, which was freaky

Heres an example, my grandfather when he arrived wanted the remote because hes the man.  I was then told he enjoyed old shows like from the 650-70s, and he mentioned gunsmoke.  Ok, didnt think anything of it.  Come to find out, he had his entire family sit and watch gun smoke with him every week.  WTF....I didnt even know that.....so its pretty freaky.  My mom was like holy *****....mind blown

Edited by TBBills Fan

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

the future is yet to be written, we have choices to make so it really wasnt about my future, things like that.  It was more like advice regarding the future....it did dive into my past and I was told things I didnt even know that my mom was able to verify, which was freaky

Heres an example, my grandfather when he arrived wanted the remote because hes the man.  I was then told he enjoyed old shows like from the 650-70s, and he mentioned gunsmoke.  Ok, didnt think anything of it.  Come to find out, he had his entire fmaily sit and watch gun smoke with him every week.  WTF....I didnt even know that.....so its pretty freaky

Yeah, I'm 50.  In my 30s and 40s, my mom shared some things about my family's past that very few people know; not even my siblings.  I learned that neither of my grandfathers was my biological grandfather.  So I've got two extended families about whom I know absolutely nothing.

I don't want any more surprises, LOL.  I'm good.

• Haha (+1) 1

Psychics are, by definition, scam artists.

What they do is really quite interesting from a human psychological perspective, but it has nothing to do with psychic powers.

A lot of what they do, for a lot of people, is therapeutic in nature.

So if visiting a psychic helps you get over the loss of a loved one, for example, great!   Go for it.

But don't confuse the psychological factors at play with the psychic actually communicating with your dead loved one.

That's not happening.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

My eventual wife dragged me to Lilydale in the Southern Tier many years ago.  Her mom went with us.  Her mom...I have immense respect for, but she also has one of the most violent tempers I've seen.  It can be like watching a steam boiler explode. 

Anyway, we are at the magical stump, or log, the place they do public readings.  They basically just pick people out and "read' them.  After a while, the medium looked at her mom for a few seconds.  The lady's eyes got wide and she said, "My god, I see your hair standing on end!  The spirit talking to me is telling you to chill out!"  I nearly let out a "holy crap!" Her mom had just been sitting there and hadn't said a word the whole time. 

Many years later, my wife went to one after her brother had passed.  She only gave her first name and paid in cash, and there was no appointment or anything like that to give away any info.  She recorded the session and had me listen to it. The guy was good, whether a con man or genuine. 

What got me is when he said, there are 2 spirits here, Im seeing a big A and a little a.  Father and brother were both named Art.  There are lots of names in the world, of many different letters...so if it was a guess, it was a damn good one.  He had it right that her brother died suddenly (heart attack) which is good, but can be predictable. He also conveyed that her brother said he can "move around lots better"...which, considering he had MS, is another good guess.

She asked me what I thought after listening.  I could only say, "idk, the guy is good.  But the important thing is what you believe...quit worrying about how genuine it may be and consider it a nice afternoon with your brother and your dad.  They both said they were pain free now and are happy. That should give you some comfort."

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CookieG said:

My eventual wife dragged me to Lilydale in the Southern Tier many years ago.  Her mom went with us.  Her mom...I have immense respect for, but she also has one of the most violent tempers I've seen.  It can be like watching a steam boiler explode. 

Anyway, we are at the magical stump, or log, the place they do public readings.  They basically just pick people out and "read' them.  After a while, the medium looked at her mom for a few seconds.  The lady's eyes got wide and she said, "My god, I see your hair standing on end!  The spirit talking to me is telling you to chill out!"  I nearly let out a "holy crap!" Her mom had just been sitting there and hadn't said a word the whole time. 

Many years later, my wife went to one after her brother had passed.  She only gave her first name and paid in cash, and there was no appointment or anything like that to give away any info.  She recorded the session and had me listen to it. The guy was good, whether a con man or genuine. 

What got me is when he said, there are 2 spirits here, Im seeing a big A and a little a.  Father and brother were both named Art.  There are lots of names in the world, of many different letters...so if it was a guess, it was a damn good one.  He had it right that her brother died suddenly (heart attack) which is good, but can be predictable. He also conveyed that her brother said he can "move around lots better"...which, considering he had MS, is another good guess.

She asked me what I thought after listening.  I could only say, "idk, the guy is good.  But the important thing is what you believe...quit worrying about how genuine it may be and consider it a nice afternoon with your brother and your dad.  They both said they were pain free now and are happy. That should give you some comfort."

As I mentioned in the book thread, when I was in HS at St Joe’s we had to read a series of books about Near Death Experiences. It was interesting enough that I’ve read many more over the years (I read quite a bit). As I keep reading these books it becomes more and more interesting to me. I’ve just started another given to me by my mother....when you’re 93 years old you think about this stuff!

These accounts go back thousands of years and come from people all over the world with different religious and spiritual backgrounds, and people of all ages. The abundance and similarity of these accounts is fascinating. Could this all be a part of the normal medical process of dying? Of course! But we can’t know for sure and some accounts seem to defy the “natural medical” explanation. If you say you know for sure, I can’t take you seriously because there is no way to know FOR SURE. We don’t know what we don’t know, which is A LOT. You can strongly BELIEVE something, but you can’t KNOW this. I have a SIL who confuses her opinion with fact, and it drives me crazy! 

So, IF there IS another realm (or dimension, or whatever) we cannot see or feel, how do we know there isn’t some way to make a connection? I can’t say I can know either way. All we have is our beliefs. 

Now, most of this “industry” is absolute hot garbage, IMO. But I cannot know with absolute certainty that this is 100% the case.  It’s up to each of us to decide what we believe. Even if it just “helps you sleep better”, that has value. And it could be much more.....

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

As I mentioned in the book thread, when I was in HS at St Joe’s we had to read a series of books about Near Death Experiences. It was interesting enough that I’ve read many more over the years (I read quite a bit). As I keep reading these books it becomes more and more interesting to me. I’ve just started another given to me by my mother....when you’re 93 years old you think about this stuff!

These accounts go back thousands of years and come from people all over the world with different religious and spiritual backgrounds, and people of all ages. The abundance and similarity of these accounts is fascinating. Could this all be a part of the normal medical process of dying? Of course! But we can’t know for sure and some accounts seem to defy the “natural medical” explanation. If you say you know for sure, I can’t take you seriously because there is no way to know FOR SURE. We don’t know what we don’t know, which is A LOT. You can strongly BELIEVE something, but you can’t KNOW this. I have a SIL who confuses her opinion with fact, and it drives me crazy! 

So, IF there IS another realm (or dimension, or whatever) we cannot see or feel, how do we know there isn’t some way to make a connection? I can’t say I can know either way. All we have is our beliefs. 

Now, most of this “industry” is absolute hot garbage, IMO. But I cannot know with absolute certainty that this is 100% the case.  It’s up to each of us to decide what we believe. Even if it just “helps you sleep better”, that has value. And it could be much more.....

Your post rang a bell for me. I don't read much of this type of stuff, but I think it reads better when a skeptic become convinced. This was a good short read if you haven't read it.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife 

by Eben Alexander

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, qwksilver said:

Your post rang a bell for me. I don't read much of this type of stuff, but I think it reads better when a skeptic become convinced. This was a good short read if you haven't read it.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife 

by Eben Alexander

Yep, that’s one that I have read. A good read, and he’s a doctor. There is no ONE account that has influenced me, more the sheer volume of accounts over time (thousands of years - see the Egyptian Book of the Dead) that I have read that get my attention. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yep, that’s one that I have read. A good read, and he’s a doctor. There is no ONE account that has influenced me, more the sheer volume of accounts over time (thousands of years - see the Egyptian Book of the Dead) that I have read that get my attention. 

This guy?

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/interviews/a23248/the-prophet/

41 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yep, that’s the guy. Too long to read every word, but read my sentence after the bold. I was aware of lawsuits, and have seen him interviewed regarding them.  I wouldn’t have him as MY doctor, but he was able to describe in the book the medical aspect of what seems to have happened to him in words a lay person could understand. Is he profiting off this? Sure, but the vast majority of the accounts I’ve heard or read do not profit in any way whatsoever.  

Again, I’m not interested as much in any ONE account as I am in the volume of accounts over thousands of years. NOT saying it’s a real thing, just that there is enough evidence to make me curious. 

EDIT: Maybe I’m swayed by the fact that lawsuits are so common in that field. We have a friend/distant relative (a BIL once removed, he tells me, smart guy!) who gave pretty much everything he had to his favorite charity, a University. He is a retired pediatric  neuro-radiologist  and he gave away many millions for fear of a lawsuit that could come at any time, even in retirement. In return he has what an amounts to an annuity for an annual income for the rest of his life. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.