Re-sign or “wave good-bye” series: Player 8 - TJ Yeldon

YoloinOhio

RB TJ Yeldon   

136 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye?

• Re-sign at whatever amount it takes to keep him
    • Offer a contract at a value determined by the team but if he’s offered more on open market, let him walk
    • Don’t offer a contract, thanks for the memories

Yeldon is JAG. He's the very definition of the mantra, "RBs are a dime a dozen." He has good hands but he's not overly elusive and brings nothing extraordinary to the table. Thanks for your contributions to the Bills and don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

We should not re-sign him but it’s not Yeldon’s fault.  This is maybe the one player the team could have treated more fairly. He certainly deserved more playing time especially the way Singletary played. He was our best player in the blowout loss to the Titans (3/3 in short yardage) and then was benched the rest of the year. His incredible grab in the AFCCG kept us in it for another half quarter. He deserves another offer from the Bills but it’s senseless to give him one because the relationship is broken.  

The "Draft Najee" movement is likely chasing a complete mirage, unless he falls to our second round pick, and he won't. Drafting an RB that high just doesn't make sense unless you think he's a top ten value or something like that. And he's not. The positional value and the fact that it would mean we'd have spent 2 3rds and a 1st on RB, which would be a very poor appropriation of resources.

But yeah, there's a good chance they grab one in the 4th or later, I think. If they do, Yeldon would seem likely to go. Wouldn't be surprised or angered if they offer him a vet min + kind of deal. He's been solid when they played him.

Being that they have rarely used him in how many years now... what purpose does he fill on the O and is that worth the money... 

Yeldon has been a good option that was virtually not used, so unless SM has a change planned for the RB group he is gone, to Yeldon’s credit, he made a bunch of money working out for a living, pretty good gig if I do day do myself, 

Edited by Don Otreply

Lol there is zero chance Yeldon would want to come back. 
He was paid nicely to basically practice for two years. I’m sure he would like to sign and would likely take less money to go to a team who actually would let him play. 
When your coach would rather run frank gore 1 yard at a time over activating you, you probably don’t want to stay on that team. 
Yeldon is not elite, he’s probably not starter caliber, but we completely wasted two seasons of his career where he could of been productive somewhere else and boosted his value some. 

Anyone who believes Yeldon should have been used more in a high powered passing attack yet voted against keeping T J Yeldon makes the same mistake our current regime made in my humble opinion.Make your decision as acting GM. You drafted Singletaery and Moss. Yeldon is a higher draft pick then both and has the hands of a WR. Singletary has had ample opportunity to prove himself and failed IMO. You can't fall flat on your face when your team needs you the most. Not as a RB. You just can't.

I think one of the hardest things for a young GM or any GM for that matter to do is knowing when to move on from a draft choice that doesn't pan out the way you would like them to IMO.

Who fits the Bills passing O best, Yeldon or Singletary?

Edited by Figster

I agree with pretty much what everyone has stated, I for one though think he needed to get a better look/chances in games. By no means am I saying he should have been featured, but he should have gotten real reps at some point in the season. It was a weird, "good enough to be on the roster, bad enough to never play" type situation.

The TJ Yeldon experience has been an interesting one. He might be a "jag" but I think he deserved a little bit more then that.:blink::huh:

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Anyone who believes Yeldon should have been used more in a high powered passing attack yet voted against keeping T J Yeldon makes the same mistake our current regime made in my humble opinion.Make your decision as acting GM. You drafted Singletaery and Moss. Yeldon is a higher draft pick then both and has the hands of a WR. Singletary has had ample opportunity to prove himself and failed IMO. You can't fall flat on your face when your team needs you the most. Not as a RB. You just can't.

I think one of the hardest things for a young GM or any GM for that matter to do is knowing when to move on from a draft choice that doesn't pan out the way you would like them to IMO.

Who fits the Bills passing O best, Yeldon or Singletary?

Nice post Fig.  I has always liked Yeldon going back to his days at Bama.  I would keep him over Singletary if I had to make a choice.  The guy is not a star, but he can play RB at a decent level in the NFL.  I would go w him, Moss and either draft Najee or bring someone else in, and give Antonio Williams a chance also.  I would trade Singletary if possible.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Special K said:

I would have liked to see him active as the third RB, but this coaching staff expects its RB3 to play special teams, so Taiwan Jones got the nod over Yeldon....not sure if I agree with their strategy, but it is what it is.

To be honest, and keeping what you say in mind, I wouldn't have been upset to see either Moss or Singletary as the inactive at points in the season, in favor of Yeldon. Personally, I wasn't real impressed with Moss.  He played a little better as the season went on, but he still couldn't get a yard when they needed one...I thought he was going to be a good short yardage guy.  I won't blame it all on him...perhaps line issues. 

A guy that barely dresses is easily replaceable. I don't necessarily dislike him, but there are young bucks every year, often in later rounds that can fill his role.

Let this guy get on with his career tbh. I'm sure he can find a few more opportunities someplace.