Free agent QBS who could back up Allen next year in case Barkley doesn’t come back

On 2/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, chongli said:

For all those who want Fitz, do we really want a 38 year-old QB who will be turning 39 mid-season? Father time may catch up to him, his performance last year notwithstanding.

It’s weird but Fitz is aging like wine. He’s getting better. Might be Time to give him another long term deal and he can win is the Super Bowl at 43. That would be a Disney movie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s weird but Fitz is aging like wine. He’s getting better. Might be Time to give him another long term deal and he can win is the Super Bowl at 43. That would be a Disney movie.

Athletes who get physically better in their 30's usually do so because they get better informed on substances that will help them improve performance.    I suspect that is part of the deal with Fitz but the thing he really lacked in Buffalo was power in his core and subsequently his throwing arm and that kind of power is something that can improve with age from mid-30's to mid-40's.    That's why it has always been fairly common to see heavyweights box effectively for so long.   Fitz arm got miraculously stronger about the time he was in Houston.  Maybe JJ gave him a good connect down there or maybe Fitz just put on some good weight in the core.   When that happened he ceased to have to throw his whole body into every pass that traveled over 20 yards in the air and that improved his downfield accuracy immensely.   Agree that he should be able to play for several more years.  

• Like (+1) 1

When Fitzpatrick retires I doubt he will become a coach with his brood and degree.  A better position would be for him would be a front office.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/27/a-clue-emerges-on-ryan-fitzpatricks-next-possible-move/

Perhaps his next move is easy enough to predict in that he’ll have the chance to provide more of the same to someone else. And one team who has reportedly reached out, the Denver Broncos, need exactly that. Woody Paige of the Denver Gazette has reported that the Broncos team has “spoken” to the veteran quarterback.

I recently tweeted that I believe Lock would be back with a veteran free agent signed. My choices were Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Fitzpatrick. They have spoken to Fitzpatrick.

How this is possible to have done without breaking league policies about the “legal tampering” window versus extracurricular activity is unclear — but Denver would certainly be a great destination for Fitzpatrick’s experienced hand to make an impact. The Broncos have plenty of talent but young quarterback Drew Lock appears to be a potential stumbling block to the team’s long-term outlook. And while Fitzpatrick wouldn’t fix the team’s long-term issue, he would provide a potential boost in play for a Broncos team that needs a “spark”.

I just heard the other day on NFLR Fitz camp is still looking for an opportunity to compete for a starting job.  That doesn’t surprise me as there are some teams like the Pats that don’t draft high enough to get a solid prospect out of the draft unless he is a development guy.  I can see him being a placeholder for a team while they develop a guy.  It’s too bad as my fandom would hope his love of Buffalo would be enough to accept the backup role.  With his size of a family, and the amount of $ he’s made for all of these years, I don’t see coaching in his future.  Very few players do it.

if they don’t retain Barkley, it’s a matter of whether McD thinks Davis Webb or Fromm are good enough to win a couple of games.  If not, maybe Tyrod, but I would think he and Dalton would want too much.  This isn’t the year for us to invest $7 mil. In a backup QB.

On 2/26/2021 at 4:25 PM, Nextmanup said:

I think they do have a good relationship, but I don't think it counts for much in the broader conversation of what to do at backup QB.

I think Fitz would come back to Buffalo, guaranteed, if we made the offer and he didn't have something better going on from anyone else.

I think Fitz generally thinks very positively of his time in Buffalo, the community, the fans, and so on.

I believe Fitz would come back.  As long as he’s exhausted all avenues for a starting position.

As far as Barkley, the coaching staff knows the chemistry in the QB room.  Do they value it enough to keep it going?  I still think Josh needs a vet presence.  Is it his friend or can it be anyone?  Honestly, don’t think Barkley will get any nibbles, would come back on a cap friendly deal.

Edited by davefan66

It will be Fromm.  He wasn't ready to be the primary backup last season being that he was just a rookie who didn't get a pre-season, but they obviously liked what they saw enough to keep him on the active roster all season long and didn't want to chance him being signed if they cut him in an attempt to stash him on the PS. 

I doubt they keep 3 QBs on the active roster this year and continue with Webb on the PS +/- in isolation. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

I believe Fitz would come back.  As long as he’s exhausted all avenues for a starting position.

As far as Barkley, the coaching staff knows the chemistry in the QB room.  Do they value it enough to keep it going?  I still think Josh needs a vet presence.  Is it his friend or can it be anyone?  Honestly, don’t think Barkley will get any nibbles, would come back on a cap friendly deal.

I do not think that Barkley will get an offer if let go and Bills should consider putting him on practice squad and try Webb as backup.  

I think Webb is more athletically gifted which is shown by him doing multiple roles in practice preparing for games.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It will be Fromm.  He wasn't ready to be the primary backup last season being that he was just a rookie who didn't get a pre-season, but they obviously liked what they saw enough to keep him on the active roster all season long and didn't want to chance him being signed if they cut him in an attempt to stash him on the PS. 

I doubt they keep 3 QBs on the active roster this year and continue with Webb on the PS +/- in isolation. 

Yes it will be Fromm.

Hopefully we have preseason games and the fans will see how great Fromm can be

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Yes it will be Fromm.

I'll settle for him being a good backup QB.  Anything else is gravy.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I do not think that Barkley will get an offer if let go and Bills should consider putting him on practice squad and try Webb as backup.  

I think Webb is more athletically gifted which is shown by him doing multiple roles in practice preparing for games.

I like Barkley in the QB room from his relationship with Allen.  As the backup QB?  Had that great game when we first got him and hasn’t done much since when pressed into duty.

I guess the question is, are Covid practice squad rules going to stay?  If not, Barkley wouldn’t be eligible.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:33 PM, Buffalo Junction said:

IDK. It’s not like he’s replaced elite QBs, but there’s a bit of merit to the cycle when you actually look at the entirety of his career. Fitzpatrick definitely gets a starting opportunity on every team. A large part of that is due to him being a low end starting talent. 

His career is fascinating. A career backup who has started the vast majority of games.

With his luck, JA starts 0-3 goes down injured through no fault of his own, Fitz wins the next 5 games, winning the job only to fizzle out spectacularly and go on the replace Pat Mahomes in KC.

I'm a superstitous man, I do not want to bet against Fitz winning a starting job anywhere he goes.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2021 at 7:21 AM, Doc said:

That's one interpretation, and it's the one I favor, but there are others (that he would have been cut except for the Covid situation and the need to have a "break glass in emergency" guy.

I personally think Fromm got a raw deal as a rookie being asked to go through that, and the team should give him every chance to prove he can earn the primary backup role.

But there also is this lingering fear that until you actually see a guy take live-action snaps in the season, there's doubt as to whether or not he can.  So if the Bills team says "once Peterman'd twice shy babe" they may want to bring in a vet who actually has started so they feel more WYSIWYG.  I don't see us paying much though.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:04 AM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Yes it will be Fromm.

At this point in Bills history, Fromm could light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine during preseason and Bills fans be like "that's nice Son, let's see what ya really got when it counts on Sunday" 

Why?  See Peterman, Nathan

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At this point in Bills history, Fromm could light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine during preseason and Bills fans be like "that's nice Son, let's see what ya really got when it counts on Sunday" 

Why?  See Peterman, Nathan

Or they will think he is the next Jim Kelly.

I don’t think Fromm is good. We’ll see though. 

23 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I like Barkley in the QB room from his relationship with Allen.  As the backup QB?  Had that great game when we first got him and hasn’t done much since when pressed into duty.

I guess the question is, are Covid practice squad rules going to stay?  If not, Barkley wouldn’t be eligible.

It is my understanding Yes they are, based on something one of the NFL-following guys tweeted at one point.

• Like (+1) 1