Free agent QBS who could back up Allen next year in case Barkley doesn’t come back

Fitzpatrick is the best of the bunch. Fitz is a Library of knowledge and Allen could learn a lot from him, but..... let’s just stay away from the Fitzpatrick Cycle..... I’d rather not have Allen suffer a season ending injury. 

Realistically, this is going to come down to value. Backup QB is an area this team can improve, and the O line is good enough at pass blocking to allow for a bit of a statue if they have a big arm. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Capco said:

Backup QB is actually an interesting discussion in general for the next several years, seeing as we finally have a franchise QB.

What a refreshing place to be for once.  

Agreed 125%. It’s been way too long lol

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

Fitzpatrick is the best of the bunch. Fitz is a Library of knowledge and Allen could learn a lot from him, but..... let’s just stay away from the Fitzpatrick Cycle..... I’d rather not have Allen suffer a season ending injury. 

Realistically, this is going to come down to value. Backup QB is an area this team can improve, and the O line is good enough at pass blocking to allow for a bit of a statue if they have a big arm. 

I don’t believe in the Fitz cycle lol. But if Allen did go down with an injury I would be a hell of a lot more comfortable with Fitz stepping up instead of Fromm or Barkley 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

The only way we dump Barkley for Fitz or Dalton, is if they accepted what we have paid Barkley.  We are not wasting more $ on a backup when we have other interests to get to the big game, and have players we really need to extend.

This is the critical issue in our roster. 😓. Wasn’t that what someone posted in the beginning of the season?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

This

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

'Someone will pay Fitz more money than the Bills could...

But also this.

I think we don't keep Davis Webb around AND draft Fromm if we don't feel they could compete for the backup job

A QB I think we should keep our eye on is Kyle Allen.  He's currently an unsigned ERFA with Washington but they have Alex Smith on the roster getting the Big Bucks and they just signed Taylor Heinicke to a $4M contract so are they really gonna keep Kyle as well?   He and Josh train together in the off season.  He's played enough in the league that you have more confidence he can do it than you do with Webb or Fromm.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t believe in the Fitz cycle lol. But if Allen did go down with an injury I would be a hell of a lot more comfortable with Fitz stepping up instead of Fromm or Barkley 

IDK. It’s not like he’s replaced elite QBs, but there’s a bit of merit to the cycle when you actually look at the entirety of his career. Fitzpatrick definitely gets a starting opportunity on every team. A large part of that is due to him being a low end starting talent. 

From an article in 2016....

Stop No. 1 – St. Louis Rams

Drafted as a late-round backup QB onto the St. Louis Rams in 2005.

Replaced injured starter Jamie Martin.

Played well, earned starting spot.

Played poorly and traded to the Bengals.

Stop No. 2 – Cincinnati Bengals

Began as the backup quarterback.

Replaced Carson Palmer due to injury in 2008.

Eventually played poorly and released.

Stop No. 3 – Buffalo Bills

Signed as the backup quarterback in 2009.

Replaced injured starter Trent Edwards.

Played very well.

Earned big contract.

Eventually played poorly and was released.

Stop No. 4 – Tennessee Titans

Signed with Tennessee Titans to be the backup quarterback.

Replaced Jake Locker due to injury.

Played well.

Then played poorly and was released.

Stop No. 5 – Houston Texans

Signed with Houston Texans as the backup quarterback to Ryan Mallett.

Replaced Mallett due to injury.

Played well.

Then played poorly and got hurt and was traded to the Jets for a late-round draft pick.

Stop No. 6 – New York Jets

Traded to the New York Jets to backup quarterback Geno Smith.

Replaced Geno Smith due to injury.

Had a career season.

Signs a $12 million contract.

Plays poorly”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/06/explaining-the-ryan-fitzpatrick-cycle/amp/

Edited by Buffalo Junction

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This

But also this.

I think we don't keep Davis Webb around AND draft Fromm if we don't feel they could compete for the backup job

A QB I think we should keep our eye on is Kyle Allen.  He's currently an unsigned ERFA with Washington but they have Alex Smith on the roster getting the Big Bucks and they just signed Taylor Heinicke to a $4M contract so are they really gonna keep Kyle as well?   He and Josh train together in the off season.  He's played enough in the league that you have more confidence he can do it than you do with Webb or Fromm.

Kyle Allen wasn’t even a thought to me. I’m not sure if he has the experience to really help Allen diagnose what’s going on in game, but he may be uniquely qualified to point out any technical or mechanical issues that Allen has in a game or practice due to working with Josh and Palmer in the off-season. 

I read an article where they asked Fitz what his favorite city to play was. I’m guessing they were expecting the politically correct “non-answer”, but Fitz said basically “I know I’m not supposed to give you an answer, but there is NO PLACE like Buffalo”. 

It’s too late for me to go looking for the link, but it was awesome! 

But just keep Josh healthy please! Use those powers for GOOD! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If they don’t re-sign Barkley, it Means they think Davis Webb is ready to be the 2.  Otherwise, I don’t see them going out to get someone better than Barkley. And from the article, not sure any of those guys are better than Barkley anyway. 

You don't think any of those guys are better than Barkley? Wow. Other than Cam who might be too broken down at this stage, I think they are all a lot better. Barkley is not very good.

If Barkley wants to back he'd have to take a pay cut for me. Not sure if any of the guys on that list would come and play for the contract Barkley has been on (maybe Glennon) but that is as much as I am paying any backup.

Just now, Doc said:

Go with Fromm.  They need all the cap space they can get.

I think Fromm is going to be given a chance to win the job. I expect whoever they bring in whether it is re-signing Barkley or whether it is Mike Glennon etc to have a contract with very few guarantees. Having said that, it is possible they will still be isolating a 3rd QB this year just in case, and if that is the case then unless Froom is so clearly their 2nd best guy I'd expect him to be the isolation QB again. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

IDK. It’s not like he’s replaced elite QBs, but there’s a bit of merit to the cycle when you actually look at the entirety of his career. Fitzpatrick definitely gets a starting opportunity on every team. A large part of that is due to him being a low end starting talent. 

From an article in 2016....

Stop No. 1 – St. Louis Rams

Drafted as a late-round backup QB onto the St. Louis Rams in 2005.

Replaced injured starter Jamie Martin.

Played poorly and traded to the Bengals.

Stop No. 2 – Cincinnati Bengals

Began as the backup quarterback.

Replaced Carson Palmer due to injury in 2008.

Eventually played poorly and released.

Stop No. 3 – Buffalo Bills

Signed as the backup quarterback in 2009.

Replaced injured starter Trent Edwards.

Played very well.

Earned big contract.

Eventually played poorly and was released.

Stop No. 4 – Tennessee Titans

Signed with Tennessee Titans to be the backup quarterback.

Replaced Jake Locker due to injury.

Played well.

Then played poorly and was released.

Stop No. 5 – Houston Texans

Signed with Houston Texans as the backup quarterback to Ryan Mallett.

Replaced Mallett due to injury.

Played well.

Then played poorly and got hurt and was traded to the Jets for a late-round draft pick.

Stop No. 6 – New York Jets

Traded to the New York Jets to backup quarterback Geno Smith.

Replaced Geno Smith due to injury.

Had a career season.

Signs a $12 million contract.

Plays poorly”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/06/explaining-the-ryan-fitzpatrick-cycle/amp/

Other than Palmer, he was really replacing those other bums because they were awful and he was better.

His problem is that as a "backup QB", he doesn't get much rope.  a bad season and they dump you.  Look how bad the Jets have been since he left, for instance. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Fromm is going to be given a chance to win the job. I expect whoever they bring in whether it is re-signing Barkley or whether it is Mike Glennon etc to have a contract with very few guarantees. Having said that, it is possible they will still be isolating a 3rd QB this year just in case, and if that is the case then unless Froom is so clearly their 2nd best guy I'd expect him to be the isolation QB again. 

Given how few players were positive last season, I don't see the wisdom in isolating Fromm another season.  He wouldn't be useful as a starter (if needed) after another season of playing with himself.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Given how few players were positive last season, I don't see the wisdom in isolating Fromm another season.  He wouldn't be useful as a starter (if needed) after another season of playing with himself.

Not sure I agree. I watched Denver try and play football without a Quarterback.... depends where we are with the virus come September and what the NFL does to the rules but if there are similar regulations as last year then I would be minded to continue with an isolated QB.