Border Collie

Mike in Horseheads

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

It’s not the breed. It’s the upbringing in the house and owner who raised them. Ask @Gugny...he loves them. 

I honestly don’t know what I did wrong. It’s bothered me for a long time. I would never think about abusing any dog. I treat all my pets very well.

The dog was great when he was a puppy then he just slowly started to change and no matter what I tried I couldn’t stop it from getting worse (and I tried all sorts of stuff). It started with growling when I fed him. Then he’d start charging you. Then biting. He eventually attacked my father completely unprovoked and out of the blue, and he attacked so viciously that my dad ended up in the hospital for a week.

I’m scared to ever own another now. I’ve had about a dozen dogs in my life and no other dog every bit anyone. All of them were total sweethearts that wouldn’t hurt s fly.

I rescued the pit bull as a small puppy. The owner abused him and was actually bragging about how he was starving him. I took him home on the spot and tried to give him a good life. Like I said I don’t know what I did wrong and still think about what I could have potentially done differently. It’ll probably always bother me.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I honestly don’t know what I did wrong. It’s bothered me for a long time. I would never think about abusing any dog. I treat all my pets very well.

The dog was great when he was a puppy then he just slowly started to change and no matter what I tried I couldn’t stop it from getting worse (and I tried all sorts of stuff). It started with growling when I fed him. Then he’d start charging you. Then biting. He eventually attacked my father completely unprovoked and out of the blue, and he attacked so viciously that my dad ended up in the hospital for a week.

I’m scared to ever own another now. I’ve had about a dozen dogs in my life and no other dog every bit anyone. All of them were total sweethearts that wouldn’t hurt s fly.

I rescued the pit bull as a small puppy. The owner abused him and was actually bragging about how he was starving him. I took him home on the spot and tried to give him a good life. Like I said I don’t know what I did wrong and still think about what I could have potentially done differently. It’ll probably always bother me.

It doesn’t mean you did anything wrong, sometimes things just happen.

We got one of our Golden Retrievers from a backyard breeder. We’ll never make THAT mistake again. Things got squirrelly during her “puppy adolescence“. We took her to the vet who was able to diagnose a thyroid disorder and if left untreated she might be the very rare Golden to actually bite someone.  She got a pill every morning for the rest oh her life. She became a submissive pee-er which we were never able to correct, we just learned how to deal with it. We loved her like all the others, but we couldn’t fix her. 

She was the 5th of my 7 Goldens and the only one with any issues. Sometimes it’s just the dog, no matter what you do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:13 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Have any of you fine people ever had a Border Collie? Someone I used to work with dog had 8 puppies recently and she has 2 not spoken for. I have had a Dachshund mix and Dachshund in the past and they were very loyal so this would be a step up in size for sure.

153349682_10100896442020524_177814616517

yes 

very smart dogs 

lots of energy as a pup and needs to have space to run. 

On 2/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Have any of you fine people ever had a Border Collie? Someone I used to work with dog had 8 puppies recently and she has 2 not spoken for. I have had a Dachshund mix and Dachshund in the past and they were very loyal so this would be a step up in size for sure.

153349682_10100896442020524_177814616517

It's not the size, it's the smarts and the energy level.  A border collie is a great dog to get if you'd like a companion on a daily several-mile trek, and/or a dog to train in flyball or herding or agility or something.  Or even just to train to do tricks.  They are super-smart and very high energy.   Very devoted and affectionate too.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, BillsFan4 said:

I hope you don't let it bother you too much.  Abused dogs carry quirks and emotional scars and sometimes nothing can change that.  Sometimes you can work around those and other times you can't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.