The Athletic: Russell Wilson and Seahawks growing further apart

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Wilson if traded will want to go a team that is built to go far in the playoffs. 

I really really hate to say this.... But Miami has to be thinking... hmmm

lol

This is going to be one of the craziest years with teams having new QB's.  The Draft is going to have a ton of QB's go round one no matter where the talent is at.

crazy year

I think Miami is all in on Watson, Russell at this point has reached his ceiling. Watson is only 25 and barley in his prime while Russell is in his mid 30s and is more of a what you see is what you get type of player now

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We all know Ciara will choose the team 

And most teams will not choose Ciara.

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Seems there could be lots of moving superstars in the future like the nba. Wonder if contracts will change cause of this so not much dead money?  

run a good team players will stay

Players forcing themselves out trying to keep signing bonuses like Wat$son will.

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

A very critical point of Allen’s career will be who replaces Daboll when the time comes. If the Bills see him as their franchise, they must include him in that process and seriously consider his opinions. They absolutely have to get that hire right. This is not said in relation to the Watson situation as that was about the HC. It is somewhat related to the Carson Wentz fallout, as the changing of the guard at OC after Reich left to be a HC was poorly handled internally from reports and a poor selection.

I 100% agree, but you also have to be very careful about letting him have to much say.  Look at Cleveland when they fired Hue Jackson/Greggo.  The Browns wanted to make Mayfield comfortable - so instead of keeping Greggo that had won some games or going outside the organization to find a replacement- they just promoted Kitchens (way over promoted) because of Mayfield.

I want Josh to have input because he and his next OC need to be able to see eye to eye, but it also has to be someone that fits with the rest of the staff and can call a good game.  I do not mind an internal promotion - if they get another assistant on the offensive side that has called plays successfully in the NFL to help if Ken Dorsey or Chad Hall gets the promotion.

As to the Wilson situation- I do not want my QB having a ton of input on the players you are bringing in.  The HC and GM need to take an entire team approach and can not be fixated on appeasing the QB, but if it is a franchise guy - it seems fairly easy to just be open and have a continuous talk about guys they like and what fits and what doesn’t.  

I have read the stories - I just do not understand the Wilson saga because that team has done a ton to try and build around Wilson - trading for OLine help, signing questionable players at WR because they might help the pass game, bringing in FA running backs, etc.  I get that he felt (feels) dismissed, but dude - look at how that team has tried to help.

I want Josh to be happy and feel free to go see Beane/McD to talk about guys and plans, but I also want those guys to push back and say here is our 1, 3, and 5 year plans and we will see how we can mesh.  The balancing act is so delicate, but so vital and gets harder and harder as some of these QBs push for things way outside their job description.

not a fan of the big contract qb's getting cold feet after the fact and getting traded (if it happens, anyhow) but given his contract status, wilson has to be worth 2 firsts +.  a top fight qb at like 23mm per year for 3 years is a massive come up.  i suppose he could lose out not having his WRs, but sometimes a change is needed.

id say chicago or pittz if ben retires is the best spot, but pittz has cap issues and evidently wilson isn't targetting chicago.  he'd instantly be the greatest qb ever in that town, would create a huge buzz.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think Miami is all in on Watson, Russell at this point has reached his ceiling. Watson is only 25 and barley in his prime while Russell is in his mid 30s and is more of a what you see is what you get type of player now

Wilson is 32 and an MVP candidate. I like what i see and get there. 

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I 100% agree, but you also have to be very careful about letting him have to much say.  Look at Cleveland when they fired Hue Jackson/Greggo.  The Browns wanted to make Mayfield comfortable - so instead of keeping Greggo that had won some games or going outside the organization to find a replacement- they just promoted Kitchens (way over promoted) because of Mayfield.

I want Josh to have input because he and his next OC need to be able to see eye to eye, but it also has to be someone that fits with the rest of the staff and can call a good game.  I do not mind an internal promotion - if they get another assistant on the offensive side that has called plays successfully in the NFL to help if Ken Dorsey or Chad Hall gets the promotion.

As to the Wilson situation- I do not want my QB having a ton of input on the players you are bringing in.  The HC and GM need to take an entire team approach and can not be fixated on appeasing the QB, but if it is a franchise guy - it seems fairly easy to just be open and have a continuous talk about guys they like and what fits and what doesn’t.  

I have read the stories - I just do not understand the Wilson saga because that team has done a ton to try and build around Wilson - trading for OLine help, signing questionable players at WR because they might help the pass game, bringing in FA running backs, etc.  I get that he felt (feels) dismissed, but dude - look at how that team has tried to help.

I want Josh to be happy and feel free to go see Beane/McD to talk about guys and plans, but I also want those guys to push back and say here is our 1, 3, and 5 year plans and we will see how we can mesh.  The balancing act is so delicate, but so vital and gets harder and harder as some of these QBs push for things way outside their job description.

Do QBs have a say on coaching staff hires?    The answer to that is No

19 hours ago, whatdrought said:

“I’m sicka your run first defense team! Trade me to the bears!!”

The Bears were quietly one of the most pass-heavy teams in the league last year, and that was with maybe the worst QB situation in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/25/2021 at 10:50 AM, MiltonWaddams said:

So, the question is whose acquisition cost will be higher, Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson? Russell has a Super Bowl on his résumé and a lot of winning seasons. Deshaun is younger, but his stats and skillset jump off the page.

Watson > Wilson.  He is younger and more talented.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think he ends up on the Jets.   He's been wanting (well, his wife) has wanted to be in NYC.  I hope he goes there and sucks (nothing against him, just the Jets)!

3 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Nowhere to put this but whaaaaat????

THAT'S wild.  Although, don't they make the Jerseys for a few people?  They suddenly have them after the pick is announced?  

10 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I think he ends up on the Jets.   He's been wanting (well, his wife) has wanted to be in NYC.  I hope he goes there and sucks (nothing against him, just the Jets)!

Being a member of JEST would be great. Bills neutralized him with a better team in 2020 and him playing in NJ will be worst for him.

And I will love to see NYC media tear him apart.

18 hours ago, Doc said:

They’re starting to think they do. 

In fairness teams are starting to give them more influence. Teams are thinking about the fit with their Quarterback when they hire coaches. The Rams had McVay meet Goff and talk football before they finalised his hiring. The Packers took Rodgers's view before hiring LaFleur. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Do QBs have a say on coaching staff hires?    The answer to that is No

Any smart organization that has an established elite franchise QB locked up for big money should absolutely ask for their opinion.  I'm talking a top 5 established QB in their prime though.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Also, he takes a 4 year 140 million dollar contract and is upset they aren't signing better offensive free agents?  I know complimenting Brady is heresy on this board but he could've made more money at the cost of a worst supporting cast throughout his career.  Instead he has seven rings.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Also, he takes a 4 year 140 million dollar contract and is upset they aren't signing better offensive free agents?  I know complimenting Brady is heresy on this board but he could've made more money at the cost of a worst supporting cast throughout his career.  Instead he has seven rings.

Yep. Brady has only set the market once in his career - in his 2010 contract renegotiation. When he signed in 2005 coming off 3 Superbowls in 4 years he took the third highest deal in the league, after Peyton Manning and Michael Vick. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate that the nfl is going the way of the nba.   For me this is a clear case of “stay in you lane Russell”.  He’s the qb, team and community leader.  Now he wants to be a capilogist/gm?   In the nfl that takes a lot of work, let the pros do their job.   If you want an example of how to get away, look no further than Brady...play out your deal and leave.