The Athletic: Russell Wilson and Seahawks growing further apart

YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Seahawks defense in the 2nd half of the season didn't give up more than 23 points in any game.

After they lost to the Bills, the defense completely changed it around.

Yes, there is blame to go all around but Wilson's play also dropped off.  That coach that said he's been killing the protections and seeing ghosts....you don't think there's any truth to that?

Absolutely fair.

However, let's be truthful, all quarterbacks aren't given fabulous rosters and supportive coaching. Can we fairly judge Wilson against say Tom Brady?

The Seahawks continue to be a perennial playoff team and they are not a good roster. It's because of Wilson. Messaging from coaching seems inconsistent about who they want to be and they went away from pure passing despite it being their strength.

Wilson might be able to overcome an abysmal OLine or an abysmal/average defence but both? They still made the playoffs in a tough division.

As for the coach? Any player can be criticized for a single play and maybe the coach is saying he outran his protection based on a play where he did that. But if it comes to that did he not make numerous incredible plays off the back of successful escapes from the pocket. It seems churlish to criticize him when he had been sacked so many times and conditioned to extend plays. That's blame laying. Wilson has been taking a pummeling and he's getting criticized for being skittish?

Man I would want out of that too.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't subscribe. What are the key quotes/passages?

[quote]Carroll wanted to be more careful with the offense; Wilson wanted to stay the course, trusting in himself.

Before the Thursday night game against Arizona, Wilson met with his coaches. For some time, Wilson has sought — even pushed — for influence within the organization regarding scheme and personnel. In the meeting, he outlined his own ideas for how to fix the offense. His suggestions were dismissed, multiple sources told The Athletic  — another reminder to Wilson that the Seahawks did not see him the same way he saw himself, as a player who had earned greater control over his situation, his future, his legacy.

He stormed out of the room.

The Super Bowl this year was a trigger. Wilson flew to Tampa to pick up his Walter Payton Man of the Year award. He and his wife, Ciara, watched the game in a suite next to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and as Tom Brady battled Patrick Mahomes on the field below, Wilson seethed. During the game, he texted Jake Heaps, his former teammate and private quarterback coach, to vent about watching the game instead of playing in it.

Wilson later spoke with Carroll, according to a source, to talk about the way the Seahawks addressed the offensive line, an issue that had bothered Wilson for years. He wanted to know the team’s plan, but it wasn’t relayed to him, at least not to Wilson’s satisfaction, the source said. Carroll implored him to have faith.

But after the Super Bowl, Wilson took his message public.[/quote]

[quote]He’s finally catching heat,” one person told The Athletic. “That’s the main reason for all of this. … People are talking and holding him accountable because he’s one of the highest-paid quarterbacks, he says he wants to be the greatest, so now people are holding him to that standard.”

“It’s a PR game,” that person added. “He’s trying to protect himself.”

Another source agreed: “What he’s trying to do is save face.”[/quote]

Josh Allen section-

[quote]

In March 2018, much of the NFL world gathered at the University of Wyoming for Josh Allen’s pro day. Reps from teams without established quarterbacks filled the indoor fieldhouse to watch Allen, a potential top-10 pick. The Giants sent coach Pat Shurmur. The Broncos sent personnel analyst Gary Kubiak. The Browns sent general manager John Dorsey and seven others from the organization.

And then there was Seahawks general manager John Schneider, whose team held the 18th pick and already had Wilson, a two-time Super Bowl quarterback who had just led the league in touchdown passes. For Schneider, it was simply due diligence[/quote]

[quote]

Wilson’s camp saw the Seahawks’ interest in Allen as an unwelcome surprise. Amid significant roster turnover — veterans Richard Sherman, Jimmy Graham, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Kam Chancellor were either gone or on their way out — reports surfaced that Mark Rodgers, Wilson’s agent, called Schneider for clarification on the quarterback’s status. Jim Trotter of the NFL Network wondered if Wilson might “push the button to move on” if the 2018 season didn’t go well. Around the same time, La Canfora wondered if Wilson might be “contemplating his football mortality with the offensive line still a significant concern.”[/quote]

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

[quote]

As Wilson seeks to hold Carroll and the organization accountable, others question whether anyone can do the same for the quarterback himself. That has been a sensitive subject ever since Sports Illustrated and ESPNpublished stories years ago suggesting Carroll coddled Wilson to the detriment of the team. After Richard Sherman picked off Wilson in a June 2014 practice, then yelled at the young quarterback and threw the ball at him, Carroll met with team leaders and told them to take it easier on Wilson. Carroll, multiple sources said, protected and enabled Wilson, undermining the two words he had built his whole program on: Always compete.

This current situation with Wilson, several sources believe, is the inevitable consequence of that special treatment.[/quote]

14 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Absolutely fair.

However, let's be truthful, all quarterbacks aren't given fabulous rosters and supportive coaching. Can we fairly judge Wilson against say Tom Brady?

The Seahawks continue to be a perennial playoff team and they are not a good roster. It's because of Wilson. Messaging from coaching seems inconsistent about who they want to be and they went away from pure passing despite it being their strength.

Wilson might be able to overcome an abysmal OLine or an abysmal/average defence but both? They still made the playoffs in a tough division.

As for the coach? Any player can be criticized for a single play and maybe the coach is saying he outran his protection based on a play where he did that. But if it comes to that did he not make numerous incredible plays off the back of successful escapes from the pocket. It seems churlish to criticize him when he had been sacked so many times and conditioned to extend plays. That's blame laying. Wilson has been taking a pummeling and he's getting criticized for being skittish?

Man I would want out of that too.

I didn't watch a lot of Seahawks games other than when they played the Bills.  I watched them for a few series here and watched the majority of their playoff game.

I noticed he was either holding the ball too long or running outside the pocket way too quickly in those moments.

I don't know why the reasons for that was but he was a complete 180 from the first half of the season.  The offense was running smoothly and crisp at that time.

• YoloinOhio changed the title to The Athletic: Russell Wilson and Seahawks growing further apart
6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

[quote]

As Wilson seeks to hold Carroll and the organization accountable, others question whether anyone can do the same for the quarterback himself. That has been a sensitive subject ever since Sports Illustrated and ESPNpublished stories years ago suggesting Carroll coddled Wilson to the detriment of the team. After Richard Sherman picked off Wilson in a June 2014 practice, then yelled at the young quarterback and threw the ball at him, Carroll met with team leaders and told them to take it easier on Wilson. Carroll, multiple sources said, protected and enabled Wilson, undermining the two words he had built his whole program on: Always compete.

This current situation with Wilson, several sources believe, is the inevitable consequence of that special treatment.[/quote]

Woof. The Wilson defamation project. How can he be criticized for something Carroll did? Insanity.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I didn't watch a lot of Seahawks games other than when they played the Bills.  I watched them for a few series here and watched the majority of their playoff game.

I noticed he was either holding the ball too long or running outside the pocket way too quickly in those moments.

I don't know why the reasons for that was but he was a complete 180 from the first half of the season.  The offense was running smoothly and crisp at that time.

Me too. I don't know why he would choose to start playing badly though. That makes no sense. On the other hand, we know that they changed their offense away from pass. We also know that he had taken a lot of hits at that point.  It's too easy to lay the blame at his feet. I hope they deal him and answer the question for us.

45 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

just like my parents in the last couple years before their divorce 😢

I just started humming 'Feelings', by Morris Albert. 😢

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Every time I hear about Pete Carroll I think about how he built the defensive game plan to stop the Bills ferocious run game. With a bottom 5 secondary   😂

I think senility is creeping in...🤔

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Every time I hear about Pete Carroll I think about how he built the defensive game plan to stop the Bills ferocious run game. With a bottom 5 secondary   😂

For real.  Pete Carroll is the smartest brain genius coach in the history of the NFL and if you don't believe it just ask him, and a real class act too

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

IMO, Daboll sucker-punched both Carroll and Belicheck with that first NE run-run-run game plan.

It made sense.  The weather was crap.  It was a day built to run the ball.

But look at it from Pete Carroll's perspective.  I would guess that while well-prepared coaches look at a team's entire body of work, they focus most on the team's most recent games.   I think Carroll looked at the Bills at Tenn, KC, and Jets and said "OK, their young QB is still confused by zone, and he seems to be regressing some with his accuracy".  Then he looked at the NE game and said "so now they're compensating by turning to the run, I see it, I Got the Flick".

Somehow he missed the weather vs NE and the linebacker brace, which came off at the end of the KC game but was still there in the form of heavy kinesotape and a less limiting brace vs. Jets and NE.  Details.

BOOM!  Surprise!  Here comes the Josh Allen Laser Light Show.

Similar thing with Belicheck.  He actually said "I think we did a pretty good job of containing him (Allen) Week 8" as though it was his defense, and not the game plan, that led to 38 rush plays and 18 pass attempts.  Surprise!

As far as Russ Wilson, though, several of the Bills defenders commented (and hushed themselves) that they saw "tells" in the Seahawks pass game.  After we mauled them a bit, I think other teams were probably looking double-time and found some.

Russ has a fair beef IMO that the Seasnakes treated their OL like a red-headed stepchild, to the hindrance of both their ability to run the ball and their ability to protect him.  But he doesn't seem too interested in looking at what role he may play in his own problems.  If he's looking at Brady as that story quotes:

That Monday, CBS’ Jason La Canfora tweeted that “Russell Wilson’s camp” was frustrated with his pass protection and called it “a situation worth monitoring.” The next day, Wilson went on “The Dan Patrick Show” and said he wanted to be more involved with the organization. He was asked about the almost 400 times he has been sacked over his nine-year career: “That’s a big thing that we gotta fix, that’s gotta be fixed.” He brought up Brady, a player whose status he craves, and the play of Tampa Bay’s offensive line in the Super Bowl: “He wasn’t touched really.” Several times he mentioned his “legacy,” as well as his goal to play 10 to 15 more years, just like Brady.

Russ needs to look at what Brady does.  He's the master of understanding what the D is doing and what that means for his answers, presnap and just after the snap, and hitting those answers immediately whether it's a checkdown, over the middle or a long bomb (or a throw-away).  Russ sometimes seems like a cook with limited ingredients, despite having two of the most dangerous receivers in the NFL game.