Any one have Espn Insider? Just curious about Kipers mock

BeastMode54

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Never hate to see Oline as a high pick but I would hate to see D Williams leaving be the reason one is taken high

I don't mind drafting an OL in the late first...but I'd just as soon see them pay Williams.  The team spent years with guys like Jordan Mills at the position. They finally got quality and it paid dividends.   No need to take the chance on a rookie when you have good production already there.

I have a general policy as it relates to the draft:

I never, ever get mad at the Bills for drafting big uglies.

No matter what else changes in the NFL, games are still won and lost in the trenches.

OL and DL are never "sexy picks", but they are crucial to sustained success. Look no further than the result of this year's Super Bowl for proof positive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, CookieG said:

I don't mind drafting an OL in the late first...but I'd just as soon see them pay Williams.  The team spent years with guys like Jordan Mills at the position. They finally got quality and it paid dividends.   No need to take the chance on a rookie when you have good production already there.

I can't honestly think of the last time this team had a good RT before Williams this season. Maybe Langston Walker or Peters over a decade ago? This team can find LT's so much easier than RT's which is baffling. Looking up on Pro-Football Reference the Bills lineup history and cross referencing it with my memory and this list since 2001 is a sad sack of players at the position. For 9 straight seasons from 2009-2018 this team simply couldn't find even an average RT. Don't let a good one go if you can.

2019- Combo of Ford and Ty not tragic but Ford was up and down and Ty was average at best. Definitely the best the RT position had looked in a decade.

2016-2018- Jordan Mills, they tried to replace him with Dawkins in 2017 but Glenn got hurt. Capable run blocker but terrible pass blocker

2014-2015- Seantrel Henderson- From what I remember he was below average and struggled with a medical issue.

2011-2013- Erik Pears-  I remember him similar to Mills as being a capable run blocker but horrid in pass protection. 

2010- Mansifeld Wrotto - Who I have no recollection of but he must have been terrible as he was cut the year after. 

2009- Kirk Chambers - I remember how terrible he was. 

2007-2008- Langston Walker - This might be the only better than average player on this sad list who played more than one season. And even Walker wasn't a Pro-Bowl caliber player here.

2006- Terrance Pennington - No idea who this was but apparently he started 9 games at RT that season. Cut the year after and didn't catch on. 

2005- Jason Peters - Definitely the last time this team had a Pro-Bowl caliber player at the position. Quickly was moved over to the left side. 

2002-2004 Mike Williams - Showcasing that despite the high draft pick at the position this team still wasn't able to find a good player there. 

2001- Jonas Jennings - A good player, much like Peters in 2005 he got moved over to LT after over performing at RT. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

No matter what else changes in the NFL, games are still won and lost in the trenches.

OL and DL are never "sexy picks", but they are crucial to sustained success. Look no further than the result of this year's Super Bowl for proof positive.

That's my philosophy. I look at a lot of successful teams and many draft O-line and D-line/pass rushers consistently high up. Baltimore, Philly, Steelers, Patriots, and teams that generally speaking have a lot of success are consistently investing picks high up in the trenches. My issue wouldn't be drafting O-line or D-line but mainly drafting an unproven O-line player because this team let an about to be 29 year old RT coming off of a great season walk. No reason to have a need to plug a hole. It also makes it harder to justify spending draft capital there because offensive linemen sometimes take a few years to develop and the Bills can't afford a learning curve. I would much rather resign D.Williams and Mongo and use pick 30 on the D-line. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It doesn't seem like Darryl Williams is a priority for them. I wonder why. OT is likely going to be a major focus in free agency or the draft. 

Could be because Beane sees the talent available at OT in this draft.  From what I’ve seen so far, OT is the deepest position in the draft (CB being 2nd).  I think there will be 9-10 OTs drafted in the first 2 rounds. And maybe another 5-6 in rd 3.  The game plan could be to draft our new RT in rd 1-3

Might be tough to trust a rookie RT on a super bowl contender, but possibly offer up a 1 year deal for a bridge RT and make the transition during the season possibly 

Edited by NewEra

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

Now that is Logic I agree with

4 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Mock drafts are really neat and all, but completely irrelevant before the free agency period. No idea what will happen

I would hope people know that. However I know some think they matter. Those people also breathe out of their mouths.

Hold on. I just mocked Micah Parsons to Buffalo at 30. In my mock!! 

my mock wins. On February 25th.

30 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I can't honestly think of the last time this team had a good RT before Williams this season. Maybe Langston Walker or Peters over a decade ago? This team can find LT's so much easier than RT's which is baffling. Looking up on Pro-Football Reference the Bills lineup history and cross referencing it with my memory and this list since 2001 is a sad sack of players at the position. For 9 straight seasons from 2009-2018 this team simply couldn't find even an average RT. Don't let a good one go if you can.

2019- Combo of Ford and Ty not tragic but Ford was up and down and Ty was average at best. Definitely the best the RT position had looked in a decade.

2016-2018- Jordan Mills, they tried to replace him with Dawkins in 2017 but Glenn got hurt. Capable run blocker but terrible pass blocker

2014-2015- Seantrel Henderson- From what I remember he was below average and struggled with a medical issue.

2011-2013- Erik Pears-  I remember him similar to Mills as being a capable run blocker but horrid in pass protection. 

2010- Mansifeld Wrotto - Who I have no recollection of but he must have been terrible as he was cut the year after. 

2009- Kirk Chambers - I remember how terrible he was. 

2007-2008- Langston Walker - This might be the only better than average player on this sad list who played more than one season. And even Walker wasn't a Pro-Bowl caliber player here.

2006- Terrance Pennington - No idea who this was but apparently he started 9 games at RT that season. Cut the year after and didn't catch on. 

2005- Jason Peters - Definitely the last time this team had a Pro-Bowl caliber player at the position. Quickly was moved over to the left side. 

2002-2004 Mike Williams - Showcasing that despite the high draft pick at the position this team still wasn't able to find a good player there. 

2001- Jonas Jennings - A good player, much like Peters in 2005 he got moved over to LT after over performing at RT. 

If Jonas Jennings was 20 years ago, a lot of us are going to be crotchety old-timers a lot sooner than we think!

Man what a fugly list... Williams- head case blob, Peters- RW got cute, had him signed for RT $, with the team having every intention to switch him to LT- slimy move.  Forgettable, forgettable, Walker- just a plain ol' softy.  What a wretched position for us.  

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

If Jonas Jennings was 20 years ago, a lot of us are going to be crotchety old-timers a lot sooner than we think!

Man what a fugly list... Williams- head case blob, Peters- RW got cute, had him signed for RT $, with the team having every intention to switch him to LT- slimy move.  Forgettable, forgettable, Walker- just a plain ol' softy.  What a wretched position for us.  

Getting old is weird and sucks (although it beats the alternative). Although Jennings did stick around through 2004 but played LT from 2002-2004. But yes the RT position has been mostly putrid partly due to lack of investment at times from 2009 to 2013 they didn't do anything significant at the position and then from 2015-16 and again in 2018 they seemingly were find with Mills for some reason. Every off-season from 2009 to 2019 I had listed RT as a big time need and so many years they just wouldn't address the position. It also doesn't help that Mike Williams and Cyrus were big time busts.

In 2014 I was super stoked that they drafted Cyrus in round 2 to finally fix the RT position. Even though Cyrus was a bust it was good to see them attempting to fix the position with significant resources. Then in 2017 they drafted Dawkins in round 2 to try and anchor the position but he had to be shipped over to the left side due to Glenn's continued injuries. So once again an attempt to fix the position was appreciated. 

Then in 2019 they signed Ty a respectable veteran and drafted Ford high up in round 2. They then didn't stop in 2020 as after mixed returns on the Ty/Ford combo they signed D.Williams to toss into the mix and hit on that big. One thing I like about McBeane is that they seem to understand where the weak points of the roster are and they do what they can to address them esp when cap space or draft assets are there to.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Could be because Beane sees the talent available at OT in this draft.  From what I’ve seen so far, OT is the deepest position in the draft (CB being 2nd).  I think there will be 9-10 OTs drafted in the first 2 rounds. And maybe another 5-6 in rd 3.  The game plan could be to draft our new RT in rd 1-3

Might be tough to trust a rookie RT on a super bowl contender, but possibly offer up a 1 year deal for a bridge RT and make the transition during the season possibly 

If this draft is deep at OT I would rather Beane fill the position short term with Williams the next 3-4 years and then draft an OT in rounds 3-5. Because if a draft is deep at a position then you are better off getting value at that position later on as opposed to creating a hole at a critical position.

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I would hope people know that. However I know some think they matter. Those people also breathe out of their mouths.

Hold on. I just mocked Micah Parsons to Buffalo at 30. In my mock!! 

my mock wins. On February 25th.

Why are you so bitter?

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It doesn't seem like Darryl Williams is a priority for them. I wonder why. OT is likely going to be a major focus in free agency or the draft. 

I think from what was said about Milano, williams is on the priority list over Milano. Williams isn't a cool flashy signing but if there's one way to keep Allen from regressing it's keeping Allen upright. I'm always good with money spent on O line.