Beane says he’s more focused on free agency and the draft before signing Allen to a long term deal

Makes sense.  This is gonna be a crazier than normal free agency period.  Teams don’t even know the final cap number just that it’s gonna be 5-10% lower.  Agents are gonna be earning their money with all the pay cut, restructuring or straight up releases that are gonna be going on. There’s at least 5 vets on Bills who’d be smart to agree to a pay cut ASAP.  If Beane decides to cut them after the initial surge of free agency, they’ll be lucky to get much more than the veteran minimum.  

No need to sign Josh now.  It would make zero sense and would be fiscally irresponsible.  He’s playing for peanuts for another year.  Why on earth pay full price now? If he replicates his past season next year then he can cash in. Otherwise he’s got no leverage. Paying him now is crazy talk.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No need to sign Josh now.  It would make zero sense and would be fiscally irresponsible.  He’s playing for peanuts for another year.  Why on earth pay full price now? If he replicates his past season next year then he can cash in. Otherwise he’s got no leverage. Paying him now is crazy talk.  

It would be an extension, not a new contract and I'd guess it would be much like the deal Mahomes signed before the start of last season. Even though the contract extension was already offered and signed before last season began his cap hit last year was still only $5.34 million. His cap hit for 2021 & 2022 are still very manageable & below his market value at $24.8 & $31.45 million respectably. Josh's cap hit for this year & once they pick up his 5th year option, his cap hit for 2022, will still be the same with a contract extension done this offseason.

Over the last several years every good QB on his rookie deal has had a contract extension offered and signed before his 4th year in the league. Josh may see it as a sign of disrespect and if there's any chance he gives the team a bit of a "hometown discount" I believe it's in the best interest to the team to get it done this offseason.

19 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Over the last several years every good QB on his rookie deal has had a contract extension offered and signed before his 4th year in the league. Josh may see it as a sign of disrespect and if there's any chance he gives the team a bit of a "hometown discount" I believe it's in the best interest to the team to get it done this offseason.

Josh has not acted like some other QBs and he knows the front office respects him.

The team has built it around him unlike Seahawks and Packers to succeed.

If anyone feels disrespect it will be agent who will want his cut as soon as possible.

• Dislike 1

21 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It would be an extension, not a new contract and I'd guess it would be much like the deal Mahomes signed before the start of last season. Even though the contract extension was already offered and signed before last season began his cap hit last year was still only $5.34 million. His cap hit for 2021 & 2022 are still very manageable & below his market value at $24.8 & $31.45 million respectably. Josh's cap hit for this year & once they pick up his 5th year option, his cap hit for 2022, will still be the same with a contract extension done this offseason.

Well said....this is exactly my thoughts too.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dogbyte said:

The Bills do not have the cap space to sign him now! They say he will get around 40 million a year!

Read the post below.  He will sign an extension.

22 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Well said!

I've just about given up on trying to say this exact same thing.

The typical fan just doesn't understand.

The 5th year option comes first............then the extension.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Read the post below.  He will sign an extension.

Well said!

I've just about given up on trying to say this exact same thing.

The typical fan just doesn't understand.

The 5th year option comes first............then the extension.

Not precisely.  He will get extension which will include 4th year and 5th year money with guarantees and new money starting in 6th year with multiple guaranteed bonuses.  That type of contract which KC's QB is "cap neutral" but QB is protected from injuries.

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Allen will play for wings & blue cheese. 

If Bad Josh had been signed he would play for Ranch dressing.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:36 PM, Augie said:

So, are you saying you think we can trade straight up for Watson before the draft? I hear he wants out of Houston.  I think we can get that done!!!   :)

My apologies, I couldn’t help myself. There is no immediate rush to get this done. Other things have to happen first.  All in good time. Please carry on. 

Ha! No thanks. There is zero chance a Josh Allen QB'ed team would ever win only 4 games.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:48 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

As long as the deal is done BEFORE the season starts all is good.

What if it's done after the start of the season? Would that not be good?

Edited by Beast

On 2/24/2021 at 9:48 PM, JGMcD2 said:

Brandon Beane is an absolute clown. 

You have found your unequivocal, unquestioned, undisputed franchise QB and he’s playing contract games like this - what is he thinking?!? 

If I were Josh Allen I would be furious that after the MVP caliber season I just had my GM, who has never played NFL football, said I’m not a priority right now. 

What a joke of an organization. 

If you were Josh Allen you would also hopefully understand this isn't a joke of an organization and we have one of the best staff and front office situations that we've had in decades. Get your panties out of a bunch an trust the process. If you think Allen is going anywhere you need a nature walk. 

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If you were Josh Allen you would also hopefully understand this isn't a joke of an organization and we have one of the best staff and front office situations that we've had in decades. Get your panties out of a bunch an trust the process. If you think Allen is going anywhere you need a nature walk. 

It was sarcastic... 

• Thank you (+1) 1