Beane says he’s more focused on free agency and the draft before signing Allen to a long term deal

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Well, reading the tea leaves and connecting the dots and referencing Mercury in Retrograde, my high level business meetings have left me with many, many high level sources and several of those sources have said that Brandon Beane personally called them to ask what they think he could get in a trade for Josh Allen. 

When it's all said and done, the BeaneMan trades Allen to the Jets for a 9th round pick in 2046. 

He also cuts every single player that will fetch him a 3rd round compensation, and of course this advice was given to him by several high profile TBD board members who constantly say, "Cut this dude so we get comp picks!" So now Beane has 39 comp picks and a sweet 9th rounder in 2046. This is how you win, gentlemen. 

Apparently Mercury is no longer in retrograde, ABORT ABORT!

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I don't think we need to see anymore and from what Beane was saying on Cris Collinsworth's podcast, I don't think he needs to see anymore either. Since the first Pats game in week 4 of 2019 Josh has 54 Passing TDs vs only 13 INTs(More than a 4 to 1 ratio) and has added another 14 TDs on the ground.

Many on here wanted to see the ability to have 300 yard passing games, he had 8 this year(Probably would've had a 9th if he plays the full game against Miami in week 17) including two 400 yard games. Many wanted to see if he could carry the team with a lesser defense, most of the time this year he was our offense, an offense that put up the 2nd most points in the league. He's hard working and now the unquestionable leader of the team. He'll get his contract extension before the season, as he should.

I don’t disagree with any of this but it’s the nfl and things change so quick. Allen was borderline elite this year but it was the first season where he has been at this level. Carson Wentz and Jared Goff were mvp candidates and they both got traded this offseason. 

Obviously, Allen is much more physically talented than both but I don’t really get the rush to do it right now.  The Eagles took a $33 million cap hit on Wentz. Also, if Allen starts out at the same level, it would be a nice boost to reward him during the season. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Makes total sense. There is zero rush to sign to Allen at this point. He can’t go anywhere. Personally, I’d love to pay him halfway through the season just to see him do it for a little more since it’s a franchise defining contract.  The entire franchise changes once they have to pay him. 

We don't need to see anymore from Allen.  Those stats that LOVEMESOMEBILLS posted are amazing. 

If as you suggest we were to wait until halfway through next season Bean would be courting disaster.  Let's say Allen tears it up, which is the most likley outcome, all the leverage flows to him.  Hell a pissed off Allen might tell Bean to wait until after the season to talk a new contract. 

The last thing we want to do is follow in the footsteps of Dallas and Zack Prescott.

Get the deal done in August. 

2 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I don't think we need to see anymore and from what Beane was saying on Cris Collinsworth's podcast, I don't think he needs to see anymore either. Since the first Pats game in week 4 of 2019 Josh has 54 Passing TDs vs only 13 INTs(More than a 4 to 1 ratio) and has added another 14 TDs on the ground.

And let's not forget his 2 TD receptions!

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, are you saying you think we can trade straight up for Watson before the draft? I hear he wants out of Houston.  I think we can get that done!!!   :)

My apologies, I couldn’t help myself. There is no immediate rush to get this done. Other things have to happen first.  All in good time. Please carry on. 

I read the first comment, and then looked up.  Oh it’s just Augie.  You had me for a second.  Carry on mate.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm in favor of delaying the extension as long as possible.  

This is further evidence that Beane knows what he is doing, which is really welcome change.

Those two statements don't match up

Beane may know what he's doing, but he said nothing about delaying the extension as long as possible

It's typical for a GM to worry about signing their own FA, signing other FA, and the draft.  Then when all that is done, see what the cap situation looks like and (in this year) what the Covid situation looks like.  That's what Beane did before extending Tre White and Dawkins.  And that's what he said he was going to do with Allen.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brandon Beane is an absolute clown. 

You have found your unequivocal, unquestioned, undisputed franchise QB and he’s playing contract games like this - what is he thinking?!? 

If I were Josh Allen I would be furious that after the MVP caliber season I just had my GM, who has never played NFL football, said I’m not a priority right now. 

What a joke of an organization. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You have found your unequivocal, unquestioned, undisputed franchise QB and he’s playing contract games like this - what is he thinking?!? 

If I were Josh Allen I would be furious that after the MVP caliber season I just had my GM, who has never played NFL football, said I’m not a priority right now. 

You have no idea what discussions have or haven't happened.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

You mad, bro?

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t disagree with any of this but it’s the nfl and things change so quick. Allen was borderline elite this year but it was the first season where he has been at this level. Carson Wentz and Jared Goff were mvp candidates and they both got traded this offseason. 

Obviously, Allen is much more physically talented than both but I don’t really get the rush to do it right now.  The Eagles took a $33 million cap hit on Wentz. Also, if Allen starts out at the same level, it would be a nice boost to reward him during the season. 

I wouldn't say he was borderline elite, he was elite. He finished 2nd in the MVP race even though he played 4 games recovering from a separated shoulder and wearing a LBers harness to keep it from separating again. 

Matt Hasselbeck did a piece on it right before the Seattle game about how much it effects a QB's throwing and accuracy. If that doesn't happen I believe he wins the MVP. Outside of those 4 games... in the other 12 games played he was 315/443 71.1% for 3,698 Yds 33 TDs 6 INTs QB Rating 115.31. In those 12 games he averaged over 308 yards and 2.75 Passing TDs a game and his QB Rating was similar to Aarin Rodgers, while being a far better runner. Those are elite numbers in any year. Those are numbers that neither Wentz or Goff ever put up throwing the ball and Allen is a much better runner than both.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You have no idea what discussions have or haven't happened.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

You mad, bro?

Sorry... my sarcasm comes across poor via text. 

If you look through my posts, I can assure you I don’t feel that way about our front office. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

If you look through my posts, I can assure you I don’t feel that way about our front office. 

This is why, as a rule, I keep my posts serious.  It's the only thing that assures me that I'll never be misunderstood.

11 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Please be careful.  You would not want your tongue to become so deeply implanted in your cheek that it becomes impacted.

Surgery could be required

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

The scary thing is someone "agreed" with you. 

I saw that.  In his postseason presser Josh Allen sounded just hella concerned.  Said something like "I'm not thinking about that, when the time is right I'm sure something will get done."

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Dig a Sar Chasm, Fail to post a "Warning" sign, sure as shootin' someone will slip and fall into it

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Augie said:

So, are you saying you think we can trade straight up for Watson before the draft? I hear he wants out of Houston.  I think we can get that done!!!   :)

My apologies, I couldn’t help myself. There is no immediate rush to get this done. Other things have to happen first.  All in good time. Please carry on. 

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

You mad, bro?

Rabble-rousers🤦‍♂️

Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen Augie & Gugny together? 

hmmm..🤔

• Haha (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Dawkins and White didn't get their extensions until August and September so it's not like he's putting it off or anything FA and the draft were always going to happen first.

This.

It's how Beane always does things. It's smart. It makes sense.

Why NOT devote every ounce of mental power and work hours to free agency and the draft  (the two most important roster-building aspects of the offseason) before taking care of extensions -- especially one as complex and consequential as what Allen will likely be signing.

• Like (+1) 1