article on Zack Moss in The Athletic

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://theathletic.com/2402686/2021/02/23/zack-moss-football-career-is-defined-as-much-by-spirit-as-it-is-by-pain/?article_source=search&search_query=zack moss

(Athletic, Matthew Fairburn, paywall, trial available)

I thought I saw this here, but I had a good try at the search function and couldn't find it.  Some points I found interesting:

Describes Moss making the decision to get a pre-game painkiller injection in his shoulder as a Ute sophomore to play against BYU

I wonder if Allen was getting injections in his L shoulder for the next 3-4 games after Las Vegas.  Imma guess "yes".  But they're not side effect free:

-Moss played linebacker in little league and his first 2 years of high school, but he wanted to play running back and was constantly going through the plays and the techniques with his older brother (who played RB) in the backyard and then watching tape of other running backs.  Arian Foster and Marshawn Lynch were two he tried to pattern himself on:

-All the injuries Moss has already played through by the time he got to the NFL: multiple sprained shoulders, sprained ankle, torn meniscus, broken arm (in spring), "cracked elbow".    Being a running back is literally the "hard knock life" and you better be able to not care about hit after hit.

-Even after all those injuries, the Bills didn't have him with a medical red flag:

Very thought-provoking article for me, showing how these kids from big football areas are strategic about positioning themselves for a chance at the NFL, and how much of a beating their bodies take playing college ball.

The knock on this guy before the draft is taht his style of play gets him banged up and he already had the equivalent of a ton of miles on him. He's not long for the league.

Also, not sure what made him "loopy" after a joint injection.  It's usually steroid/local anesthetic combo.

34 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fair enough, but I think stats can be deceiving sometimes.

Out of those 18 targets I don’t recall one tough catch that he made, and he sure had a bunch of drops that should have been easy catches.

He caught 78% of the passes intended for him. 

And you're calling him out because Allen threw accurate passes to him??  Common man.

I don't know how one can consider 4/18 to be a bunch of drops.

I don't understand the criticism that Moss and Singletary get.  They both averaged over 4 YPC.  Our O line and play-calling need to be criticized and improved before we can lay blame on the running backs, in my opinion.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, DJB said:

Time to take the rains off Moss and give him more chances to be the #1 guy (unless we draft someone)

Singletary just isn't a starter.

Hopefully can take the Reigns off and stop the "rains" for Moss hahaha

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

He caught 78% of the passes intended for him. 

And you're calling him out because Allen threw accurate passes to him??  Common man.

I don't know how one can consider 4/18 to be a bunch of drops.

I don't understand the criticism that Moss and Singletary get.  They both averaged over 4 YPC.  Our O line and play-calling need to be criticized and improved before we can lay blame on the running backs, in my opinion.

I would highly recommend you listening to the joe Marino podcast when he breaks down the running backs.

He really goes in depth on how certain singletary stats are so inflated, this year and last.

The o line run scheme/blocking was definitely a problem, no doubt.

But you can’t ignore the fact that singletary has glaring holes in his game .

And to your first point, no I’m not saying that in regards with Allen giving him accurate passes.

My point is all his catches are basically dumps off/screens and he rarely gets used as a receiver like a lot of other RBs do, because he has many limitations.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I would highly recommend you listening to the joe Marino podcast when he breaks down the running backs.

He really goes in depth on how certain singletary stats are so inflated, this year and last.

The o line run scheme/blocking was definitely a problem, no doubt.

But you can’t ignore the fact that singletary has glaring holes in his game .

And to your first point, no I’m not saying that in regards with Allen giving him accurate passes.

My point is all his catches are basically dumps off/screens and he rarely gets used as a receiver like a lot of other RBs do, because he has many limitations.

What are these limitations?  How do we know he has them when he's being used as a receiver so infrequently?

And the notion of inflated stats is one that I don't buy.  Singletary averaged over 5 YPC in his rookie year, but for some reason, they held him to a pitch count and abandoned the run game when it was successful (including in the playoff loss to Houston).

Too many people are criticizing these guys for things that are completely out of their control.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What are these limitations?  How do we know he has them when he's being used as a receiver so infrequently?

And the notion of inflated stats is one that I don't buy.  Singletary averaged over 5 YPC in his rookie year, but for some reason, they held him to a pitch count and abandoned the run game when it was successful (including in the playoff loss to Houston).

Too many people are criticizing these guys for things that are completely out of their control.

Speed being a huge one... Not hitting the holes fast enough... Breaking tackles, at least within a closed space. (he can make guys miss in open space, about the only thing he does descent IMO)

Well ask yourself this, when have you ever seen singletary lined up as a receiver, make a guy miss on a go route or a stick option, and take it for a big gain? I haven't seen that once in both his seasons... So either the bills just don't use him as a receiver much due to his limitations,  or he is highly ineffective at it when they use him at receiver. Its really only one or the other lol.

Like I said sir, listen to the marino podcast and he talks about how many 6 man boxes singletary ran against, and he even breaks it down even further in which I can't remember at the top of my head. But in other words, his 5 YPC average last year is really flawed if you want a quick summary.

• Thank you (+1) 1