Bills suggested as trade spot for RB Christian McCaffrey?

WNY

If the Panthers are entertaining this in order to get more draft picks for Watson, it would make more sense to include McCaffrey in a trade with the 8th overall and a 1st rounder next year.

Edited by Doc

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Pick # 30 in the NFL draft isnt much "currency" and yes he has mileage and RBs are a dime a dozen but if I were the Bills i would jump through hoops to get McCaffery for our pick #30.

The Bills got the 28th pick and a 4th rounder for an All Pro LT in Jason Peters...........the 30th pick is a lot of value for ANY running back.

The reason why the availability of an All Pro RB versus just some dude off the practice squad doesn't move Vegas lines is because run plays average so little yardage/scoring versus passing the ball.   The difference between an average RB(4.2 npc) and a guy who gives you 5.0 ypc like peak McCaffrey is a lot less than the chasm between that 5.0 and the near 8.0 yards you get per pass attempt with a top QB.

The real value of McCaffrey is in the passing game but he's basically a slot receiver and the Bills already have a pretty good one at the moment in Beasley.    The upside is that his cap hit wouldn't be too onerous as a receiver after Carolina eats the signing bonus money and he could basically replace Beasley in 2022 and allow the Bills to use more 12 personnel or bigger receivers(which might be good in late season weather) etc..  

Any time you pay a RB good money it's robbing Peter to pay Paul in some way though.    It never works out..........but I understand why it's tempting.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

If the Panthers are entertaining this in order to get more draft picks for Watson, it would make more sense to include McCaffrey in a trade with the 8th overall and a 1st rounder next year.

Why does a rebuilding team with cap issues want an $8M+ mid-career RB coming off a season lost to injury?

I can't see them wanting ANY players already on a second contract in return in trade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

If that's the cost, you could just use the pick on a RB which would be cheaper both monetarily and from a pick standpoint (especially with the cap issues). The injuries last year are kind of worrying tbh. I had a bad ankle sprain almost 20 years ago and I can still feel it sometimes. Granted, I'm not an elite athlete but those injuries are amplified for guys who weigh well over 200 pounds.

He is proven and would defiantly take us to the next level I believe but I agree with you though. 

58 minutes ago, teef said:

What the hell is going on around here?

Nice Lombardi imitation.  You have to insert the NYC in him.  “What’s goin Arond hera?

Nice laugh and stupid take from the writer.  This goes back, “hey should trade for Montana, Rodgers, Reggie White, Aaron Donald, and on and on and on”.

Not bangin on the OP, but the author of the article.  I’m dumber for reading it as the famous Sandler movie clip.

• Like (+1) 1

When I see articles like this or hear rumors/speculation I just remind myself what Beane and McDermott are really like with the media. They don't say anything of importance. I laugh when I here their press conferences with the media. Its blah blah get better blah blah have to do well in the draft and FA blah blah we will look at every opportunity to improve the team blah blah. We won't know a damn thing until it happens. Beane and McDermott keep a tighter lid on things then the FBI. Actually every team does except teams that have had Rex Ryan as their HC. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Does Houston want to take on his salary though?  Especially with Caserio having that Patriots background where RB by committee is the norm.  

There's no way in hell Beane would pay a running back that much.  Yet alone trade a first rounder for one.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Does Houston want to take on his salary though?  Especially with Caserio having that Patriots background where RB by committee is the norm.  

There's no way in hell Beane would pay a running back that much.  Yet alone trade a first rounder for one.

He'll average around $10.5M a year.  And he's more than just a RB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffrey-21749/

Huge dead cap hit for Carolina if he's dealt. I dont see the value for Carolina to trade him. Not seeing a viable way to get er done. I think folks just went a bit wild w speculation.

Yes, if a trade did happen....8 million per year for next 2 seasons then jumps up.

I'd do the deal for 30 overrall in a heartbeat, but with that dead cap figure it would take more.

Edited by RichRiderBills

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Pick # 30 in the NFL draft isnt much "currency" and yes he has mileage and RBs are a dime a dozen but if I were the Bills i would jump through hoops to get McCaffery for our pick #30.

For the love of God the kid is ONLY 24. He had like 2400 yards in 2019. If you could work out a reasonable contract I'd love to see him come here. Teams could no longer drop 7 in coverage. Allen, Diggs and McCaffrey would be the Holy Trinity. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3