Bills suggested as trade spot for RB Christian McCaffrey?

WNY

As Carolina tries to trade for Watson I think many logically (myself included) are thinking they are trying to trade CMC for draft picks to up their ability to pony up more draft capital for Watson. I think it makes sense that teams in a win now situation with less than great RB's such as the Bills are being included in rumors. However the Bills simply don't have the cap space or the luxury of being able to trade pick 30 and a possible future pick for CMC. As great as CMC would fit on this team I just see the cap and draft resources being directed elsewhere. 

I think if McBeane is trading pick 30 and other draft resources he is going to do so for a player on a more affordable contract.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

If the Panthers are entertaining this in order to get more draft picks for Watson, it would make more sense to include McCaffrey in a trade with the 8th overall and a 1st rounder next year.

CMC is going to be 25 this year in June which even for a RB is young but not only is he on a huge contract but if the Texans trade Watson they are looking at a 3 year rebuild around a rookie QB drafted this season or next. So by the time the Texans possibly are in contention CMC is 28 and that's towards the end of a RB's prime. I think the Texans would rather get additional draft compensation so that they can build with players who will be in the middle of their primes 3-4 years from now. 

Granted I have no clue what you can get for CMC. Stafford went for two firsts and Jamal Adams went for two firsts. CMC was a pro-bowl player in 2018 and a MVP type player in 2019. But he is coming off of a banged up 2020 and plays a non-preimum position and on a big contract. I suspect if they are shopping CMC they could at least get a late first that they could add to a Watson package.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

As Carolina tries to trade for Watson I think many logically (myself included) are thinking they are trying to trade CMC for draft picks to up their ability to pony up more draft capital for Watson. I think it makes sense that teams in a win now situation with less than great RB's such as the Bills are being included in rumors. However the Bills simply don't have the cap space or the luxury of being able to trade pick 30 and a possible future pick for CMC. As great as CMC would fit on this team I just see the cap and draft resources being directed elsewhere. 

I think if McBeane is trading pick 30 and other draft resources he is going to do so for a player on a more affordable contract.

Bills would be fine on cap...very workable. Minus the dead money which Panthers would absorb, its only two 8 million years ahead, then escalates somewhat. Could easily work that.

As for pick 30, exact same situation as w Diggs. They've shown to be a team on cusp even more. Beane has proven to pull this trigger...yes they would do it.

The holdup here is Carolina. They wont take a 24 million dead cap hit. ( per spotrac) . That would be foolish.

Edited by RichRiderBills

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Bills would be fine on cap...very workable. Minus the dead money which Panthers would absorb, its only two 8 million years ahead, then escalates somewhat. Could easily work that.

As for pick 30, exact same situation as w Diggs. They've shown to be a team on cusp even more. Beane has proven to pull this trigger...yes they would do it.

The holdup here is Carolina. They wont take a 24 million dead cap hit. ( per spotrac) . That would be foolish.

24 million dead cap would be foolish. As for the Bills if the cap isn't a big issue I could see them biting for pick 30 and maybe a conditional 3rd in 2022. But if the contract has to be reworked to accommodate a larger hit for the Bills than it jams up both draft and cap resources for a position that is kind of a luxury and might not be a strong need for the Bills.

Dead cap is $24m if they cut him, $17m in a trade.  They’d save around that much in cap room if they include Bridgewater in the deal.  And Watson would only have a $10m cap hit the first year.  It’s definitely do-able cap wise for Carolina to trade for Watson and also trade Bridgewater and McCaffrey.  

18 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Pick # 30 in the NFL draft isnt much "currency" and yes he has mileage and RBs are a dime a dozen but if I were the Bills i would jump through hoops to get McCaffery for our pick #30.

Debatable (the "pick 30 isn't much currency portion.)

Not that any team definitively will, but they have the opportunity to pick at least the 30th best player coming into the NFL that year (which admittedly might not even be top 150 across the entire NFL.)

Let's say Run-CMC is a top 50 player in the NFL in impact (measured by...? Expected value over average? Expected point differential? ETC...but I think most would agree he's above backup QB in impact and somewhere in the upper-tier WR/mid-tier pass rusher/top-tier RB group for impact.) And let's also say he's a top-3 player at his position (unsure due to injury, but for argument's sake.)

That draft pick with an average 6-year career is likely to be at least a top-half producer at his position. Not saying making All-Pro, or even consistent Pro Bowl caliber - but the odds are that he will be consistently above average.

For at least four years, you'll get that at a lower salary than the (known great) player.

The question is, is that top-15 player (at a potentially more critical position to the team considering the trade) and their reduced salary worth less/equal/more than that top-3 player at their position?

For many teams, the answer is yes, unless it's a QB.

If we added him, he would immediately be the second best receiver on the team!!!!

If we added him he would immediately be the best YAC receiver on the team.

If we added him he would be Top 3 toughest skill position player on the team.

Thinking of McC as primarily a RB is facile.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

If we added him, he would immediately be the second best receiver on the team!!!!

If we added him he would immediately be the best YAC receiver on the team.

If we added him he would be Top 3 toughest skill position player on the team.

Thinking of McC as primarily a RB is facile.

Plus Olivia culpo would fit in quite nicely with the Bills WAGS. 

don't think this is likely, but if it's for just our 1st, or possibly like 2nd this year, 2nd next year, and we add the OG i keep talking about (no idea who tho), and some kind of DL/pass rush help, the difference in our team is insane.

moss to mcaffery is a huge 1 2 punch.  those swing passes to the outside which are basically always there for us with our high flying O go from hoping motor catches it to just savage yardage gains.  also, those quick hitter runs vs a passing d have a shot to break one.  

i even think it makes knox more valuable, because the LBs will have to key on the RB in passing D, knox can find the flat a little easier.