Phil Villapiano, JJ Watt, and the 2021 Buffalo Bills

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Sherman does nothing for the Bills, espceaily if the Bills get Watt, that is all the leadership on defense you need.

Sherman was abused by the Bills this year, he looked his age, very slow.  I would pass on him big time.

What about Patrick Peterson if he is "available"

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

As an army officer I was taught: "Reinforce success."  If something works, pour more effort and resources into it to earn even more success.  

One thing working for the Bills is "the process" and the culture that McDermott has been creating.  And, yes, McDermott is building a fine culture without JJ.  But why not reinforce that success by pouring more effort and resources into it?

Most people know what kind of guy JJ is.  But as reminder, Romeo Crennel once explained that Watt is "a workaholic...   J.J. wants to be the best, he works to be the best and he doesn’t want anybody to be better than he is...   There are a lot of people with talent and ability that don’t have the drive that’s needed.  J.J. has the drive.”

I don't know how many sacks JJ would garner in a Bills uni.  I'm not sure he's as quick and agile as he once was.  But the drive is still there and his drive is elite.  And the cool thing about drive, if the environment is right, it becomes contagious.  McD's Bills have the right environment.  

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/15/workaholic-texans-j-j-watts-work-ethic/

Agree.  JJ is BPA.  He would add to culture and talent.  Our desire and commitment on D is what you want but what we need now is push and pressure.  JJ would press Mahomes into mistakes.  I’d like our chances in next years title game.  Go Bills!! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Also, Isiah Robertson (LB)who came from the  Rams!

Bryce Paup? Watt would be an awesome addition if he could come close to replicating paup's numbers...I know he is older but I definitely think he could provide a spark....

Edited by umangatan

The D line was just mediocre last year.  They missed Star and will get him back this year.  But the bigger concern is Ed Oliver, who just doesn't seem to have the fire. If Kyle Williams or Lorenzo Alexander were still around I think they'd take Oliver by the elbow and show him what he needs to do.  But Kyle and LoRax aren't around anymore.  Maybe the biggest contribution JJ Watt could provide is helping Oliver elevate to the level we expected when he was drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

The D line was just mediocre last year.  They missed Star and will get him back this year.  But the bigger concern is Ed Oliver, who just doesn't seem to have the fire. If Kyle Williams or Lorenzo Alexander were still around I think they'd take Oliver by the elbow and show him what he needs to do.  But Kyle and LoRax aren't around anymore.  Maybe the biggest contribution JJ Watt could provide is helping Oliver elevate to the level we expected when he was drafted.

I think Kyle would have been around if it wasn't for the virus. His first year after retirement he was at training camp working with the DL as an "honorary coach". Kyle may be from Louisiana but he is hard core Buffalo. I bet if things are normal this summer he will be back at training camp working with the players. He probably will also be at some games as well.  He always spoke about Buffalo (team and city) with such pride. I bet he wishes he could still play after last season's 13-3 record. He would have loved to have played last year.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott has shown a willingness to change. To adapt. It cannot be overstated how important this is to long term success. For this reason, I am hopeful that he goes away from the savvy, non-athletic vet to play CB2 in a zone scheme. We need a young athletic CB2 across from T. White. We need scheme versatility. Sherman will not give us that. Just like Norman couldn't do it this year.

While I like Dane and Levi, neither one is athletic enough for this either.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, Mcdermott said:

Phil V was one of several vets Know brought in including Isaih Robertson, Conrad Dobler etc. The difference is that this team doesn’t  need any veteran guidance, just need players who can help clear two more hurdles.

Do you think Dobler has anything left in the tank?  I like his attitude at OG on this team 😁

i keep wavering on watt.  on one hand he's old and banged up and won't come cheap.  on the other hand, mcd's D scheme has shown that when he has horses up front he can create controlled chaos on D while stopping the big play and rallying to the ball.  if watt can be a solid pass rusher from inside and out, and get the guys up front to handle their assignments well (star coming back adds some confidence for me on this) and bring up epenesa, he could be a huge London Fletcher on the D line kind of addition to the team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:33 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Many of our defensive players were downright lousy last year.  Did either Addison Jefferson or Butler do anything that you could even consider being memorable or game changing the entire season?  And you could put Edmunds in there also.  Heck I would say that Klein and Zimmer made more plays then the other 4 just mentioned.  We need upgrades on defense.  That's obvious.  Now do Sherman and Watt upgrade the roster much?  I very much doubt it, especially Sherman.  He is old and slow at this point.  JJ can be a beast.  Just not game in and game out.  Play in and play out. 

The culture is great.  We just need better play from our defense.   

I agree about the needs on defense especially pass rushers. I think our players know how to win psychologically