Offense line problems - bring back Aaron Kromer?

Punching Bag

Not sure if he would accept another role but his OL was good when he was here.

Another coach, Aaron Kromer, is leaving Sean McVay’s Rams staff

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2021-02-18/another-coach-aaron-kromer-leaving-rams-staff

LA Rams Finalize Coaching Staff With New Hires, Promotions

https://www.pro32.ap.org/article/la-rams-finalize-coaching-staff-new-hires-promotions

IMO the Bills need another coach providing input on running game whether he is senior offensive assistant or assistant OC.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not sure if he would accept another role but his OL was good when he was here.

Another coach, Aaron Kromer, is leaving Sean McVay’s Rams staff

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2021-02-18/another-coach-aaron-kromer-leaving-rams-staff

LA Rams Finalize Coaching Staff With New Hires, Promotions

https://www.pro32.ap.org/article/la-rams-finalize-coaching-staff-new-hires-promotions

IMO the Bills need another coach providing input on running game whether he is senior offensive assistant or assistant OC.

LA Times article won't let me read it, could you summarize a few points?

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not meant to be critical of the OP, but it’s nuts that that narrative is the oline has “problems,” when the Bills had one of the most prolific offensive seasons in team history.

Yeah, the line can improve in some ways (including re run blocking)— but they overall had a tremendous season. 

Agreed.  The Bills have a very good line coach.   They need a few more players to complete the line, but I dont think technique was the issue.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LA Times article won't let me read it, could you summarize a few points?

It was not very long but here is relevant info:

Aaron Kromer, the Rams’ offensive line coach since 2017 and run-game coordinator since 2018, is no longer part of the coach Sean McVay’s staff, people with knowledge of the situation said Thursday.

Kromer is the seventh coach to depart a staff that helped lead the Rams to a 10-6 record and advance to the divisional round of the NFC playoffs.

Here is SI version:

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/la-rams-offensive-line-coach-aaron-kromer-moves-on

Edited by Limeaid

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not meant to be critical of the OP, but it’s nuts that that narrative is the oline has “problems,” when the Bills had one of the most prolific offensive seasons in team history.

Yeah, the line can improve in some ways (including re run blocking)— but they overall had a tremendous season. 

They had a tremendous season pass blocking.  They had a horrendous season run blocking. They need to improve or we’ll just be contender....rather than a champion.  

The OPs post is emphasizing our OLs problems with run blocking.... He’s 💯 correct imo. The OL can have a great year pass blocking (and then get trampled in the teams most important game in 25 years) and still have major problems in the run block dept

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Once you coach in California, you are infected, pass

Ironic statement due to your alias and extra-strong virus variant B.1.427/B.1.429 there.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Maybe he can go kick someone's ass for sitting in his chair?

And have charges dismissed but press only cover the interesting part.

57 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It has run blocking issues and Kromer has experience on those type of schemes.  

There were times the Bills needed to run and could not.

This comment and the proposed solution implies that it's the scheme that was the issue, and not the player's ability to execute.

But if one watches all-22 one sees that often the scheme correctly identified defenders to be blocked and put OL or TE in position to block them - our players just couldn't close the deal.

Now maybe there are details of technique that contributed to that, and better OL coaching would help, but if so, keeping Bobby Johnson and adding another OL coach seems to me like slapping a bandaid over an infected boil - it's just gonna cover up the problem and possibly result in an eruption of pus. 

Too many cooks and all that

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

They had a tremendous season pass blocking.  They had a horrendous season run blocking. They need to improve or we’ll just be contender....rather than a champion.  

The OPs post is emphasizing our OLs problems with run blocking.... He’s 💯 correct imo. The OL can have a great year pass blocking (and then get trampled in the teams most important game in 25 years) and still have major problems in the run block dept

“horrendous” at run blocking? I would argue mediocre— which is fully supported by the data. They were middle of the pack in YPC and rushing yards this season.

They need to be better. But this oline was exceptional in pass blocking and about average/slightly below average in run blocking. (I also think the stats on this are skewed because Winters was such a problem for a large part or the season and we were without our best run blocker in Feliciano for a lot of the season, and then missing Moss in the playoffs). 

They need to improve at run blocking. But I would disagree that they were “horrendous”— a description that would suggest massive changes, as opposed to some tweaks. 

I think our run blocking would be ok if they did it more. A lot of blocking is repetition and when you don’t do it it’s hard to just turn on. They seemed to run fine the one New England game when the line got in rhythm and have reps doing it. It’s hard to run 5 times in the first half and just turn it on to run later. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Miyagi-San, always good to hear the wisdom from the ultimate Sen Sai.  We were excellent pass pro, went 13-3, amend couldn’t agree more we lacked in rush offense.  That doesn’t mean you throw out everyone, but to Lime, I agree Kroger was a very good influence on this line.  There’s nothing wrong with floating that thought at all.  Ford was pretty good as a first step Guard, and someone mentioned the other day Morse is meant more of a pulling Center, vs. a mauler.  Maybe Kroger could help.

Extending Williams would really help.  Keep Boettger for depth, and let Winters walk.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think our run blocking would be ok if they did it more. A lot of blocking is repetition and when you don’t do it it’s hard to just turn on. They seemed to run fine the one New England game when the line got in rhythm and have reps doing it. It’s hard to run 5 times in the first half and just turn it on to run later. 

this is a great point and something you hear olinemen talk about all the time.

Also look at the few times when we committed to the run this past year? We ran well against SD, and basically ran out the last 8 minutes of the game against the Steelers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1