TBN: Is now a good time for Josh Allen to get his contract extension?

warrior9

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I would hate to make the most money, but not be able to afford a decent OL and WR’s. The difference between $450 million and $400 million (or whatever the numbers are) would not affect by lifestyle.

Getting the crap beaten out of me, having nobody to throw to and losing more than winning would be worth it to take less TO ME. I speak only for myself, but I hope Josh has a little voice in his head chirping something like that. 

He’s better than those other guys and DESERVES more, but I hope it’s not a matter of ego to try to break the bank.

Hometown discounts are a fantasy that exist only in the minds of fans.  And Tom Brady.  Any agent worth paying is going to get you the biggest contract possible, and he should.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Hometown discounts are a fantasy that exist only in the minds of fans.  And Tom Brady.  Any agent worth paying is going to get you the biggest contract possible, and he should.

I said FOR ME, and that’s honestly how I feel. I also know guys restructure all the time to afford the best team possible surrounding them. It’s not a complete myth. There are ways to work together on these deals. Remember, the agent works for the player, not the other way around. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Just seems that's when these mega extensions happen right?  That last week before game week.....early in September..

Good point above about Baker Lamar and Allen agents waiting to see who'll go first.  

I don't think that Lamar has an agent. He negotiates for himself.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s technically his mom

Mom might have been wise to prepare him for the Wonderlic, but in retrospect things seem to be working out kinda OK for him. 

EDIT: Apparently some may not be aware the Wonderlic is a test that can benefit enormously with some preparation. I’d be embarrassed if I had to take it tomorrow.  The same can not be said for your 40 time, which might just get tweaked a little with deeper preparation. 

OK, I just had to look it up! Brady, Rodgers, Josh went for 33, 35 and 37. Not to say Lamar couldn’t do better (I’m SURE he could), but his 13 shows a total lack of professional preparation. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

The discount thing is a myth.  The best we could hope for is a longer term contract.  Mahomes in a way gave KC a discount. 

From the quick glance people think $450 mil. is insane, but because over 10 years, he is projected to be the 14th highest paid QB in 4-5 years. He also left signing bonuses on the table. As Kirwan from MTC says, the bank of Mahomes is open for years converting bonuses to assist KC.  In this way Mahomes has generational wealth, and KC can keep going to Mahomes whenever they need to convert bonuses to assist the team.

This is exactly how Allen could help us for a decade.  Agents hate a 10 year deal.  They love a 4 year deal so the QB can keep going back to the well.  The risk on the team is catastrophic injury.

6 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I think the “discount” can be as much about the structure and flexibility as it is total dollars. Look at Mahomes. Didn’t he have his big public splash, then restructure already? He also went with the looong deal, another way to get well paid and still stay flexible. I trust our guys to get it right. 

17 hours ago, H2o said:

I mean, I think they would try to get more. Baker hasn't really achieved anything like Lamar and Allen have. Lamar has an MVP under his belt and three straight playoff appearances. Allen put up some insane numbers last year, was 2nd in the MVP voting, and led his team to the AFC Championship game while having been in the playoffs the last two years. Baker has been up and down, but mainly just a serviceable/above average starter for the most part and has been to the playoffs once. Allen's arrow has also been trending up all three years, where the same can't be said about the other two QB's in this convo. We'll see how it plays out, but I don't see any of them getting more than Mahomes and I can't see the other two topping Allen even if Allen signs his deal first. 

Im interested in what everyone considers  more successfull  for a QB ?      what would you rather have Qbs such as lamar, Cam newton, aaron rodgers who have lit up the regular seasons have MVP's under their belt but 1 superbowl win combined with a 16-16 combined record in the playoffs.  or Qbs like joe flacco , eli manning who put up OK numbers in the regular season  NO  MVPs but have 3 super bowls combined and 18-9 combined record in the playoffs? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, BuffBillsForLife said:

It depends. If the player is a great fit for X team and he thinks he will thrive in that system or if especially if that team is a good team, a successful team and maybe even a playoff/contender type of team, it may make sense to take a bit less in that scenario. You’ll see your deal to fruition.

What happens if you go to a dumpster fire, your team sucks, the players around you suck and you don’t perform at your highest level as a result of it? You get cut, you never see the vast majority of the money you signed on for and you lost 2-3 of your glory years playing for a crap franchise.
Players that go this route have no heart. Not always, sometimes they believe that team will change, but most of the time they’re just cold hearted mercenaries with no desire to win.

My inference:

Josh Allen’s camp wants $45M APY

Bills want $40M APY

Allen’s camp prefers a 4 yr extension

Bills would prefer a 6 yr extension

Seems to me the fair compromise would be:

5 years - $210M-$215M

with another $5-10M in incentives

so the agent can promote a:

5 yr. - $225M deal

which on paper matches Mahome’s APY

14 hours ago, snowbelt_subie said:

Im interested in what everyone considers  more successfull  for a QB ?      what would you rather have Qbs such as lamar, Cam newton, aaron rodgers who have lit up the regular seasons have MVP's under their belt but 1 superbowl win combined with a 16-16 combined record in the playoffs.  or Qbs like joe flacco , eli manning who put up OK numbers in the regular season  NO  MVPs but have 3 super bowls combined and 18-9 combined record in the playoffs? 

Yeah, I'm sure that the Giants and Ravens having amazing defenses in that time period had absolutely nothing to do with their wins. Attributing wins and SBs to QBs is so silly. I have no idea why people keep doing it.

Anyone who would take Flacco or Manning over Rodgers is a complete dunce.

8 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Yeah, I'm sure that the Giants and Ravens having amazing defenses in that time period had absolutely nothing to do with their wins. Attributing wins and SBs to QBs is so silly. I have no idea why people keep doing it.

interesting  ... yet all i see around here is oh the bills have Allen so they will beat said team. ... or KC has Mahomes they will beat said team.   

in this era the team doesnt matter to the average fan they think the QBs are the team.  all you see is Sam Darnold sucks even tho rodgers or allen or mahomes wasnt taking that Jets team last year to the playoffs.

See Watson in Houston a consensus top 5 QB yet won 4 games last year.

Edited by snowbelt_subie

4 hours ago, snowbelt_subie said:

interesting  ... yet all i see around here is oh the bills have Allen so they will beat said team. ... or KC has Mahomes they will beat said team.   

in this era the team doesnt matter to the average fan they think the QBs are the team.  all you see is Sam Darnold sucks even tho rodgers or allen or mahomes wasnt taking that Jets team last year to the playoffs.

See Watson in Houston a consensus top 5 QB yet won 4 games last year.

Thanks for proving my point?

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Flacco carried that team through the playoffs and to their SB win. The Ravens told him to play out the last year of his contract and earn his big payday.  He did exactly that.  But then he never came close to playing that well again.  That’s the chance a team takes in that situation.

I think Mayfield, Lamar and Allen are all waiting for at least one of the others to sign so the bar is set.  Reasonably it shouldn’t be Allen first.  He should be last.  But if Mayfield and/or Jackson bet on themselves this season, they might not sign until next year.  And honestly it might be the Ravens pumping the brakes on a deal with Jackson.  Of course he might be waiting on another QB to sign so he can copy their deal since he has agent mom representing him. 

Baker has not hit the ceiling Josh has yet.  His success also hasn’t been as sustained as Allen’s, but he is finally in the same system for a second season in a row - and he is on a loaded team for the first time ever.  He has the best opportunity of the 3 to elevate his play and contract in 2021.  So he might want to take that chance.  It’s a weird 3 way game of chicken and I have no idea who will swerve first.

12 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Flacco carried that team through the playoffs and to their SB win. The Ravens told him to play out the last year of his contract and earn his big payday.  He did exactly that.  But then he never came close to playing that well again.  That’s the chance a team takes in that situation.

I think Mayfield, Lamar and Allen are all waiting for at least one of the others to sign so the bar is set.  Reasonably it shouldn’t be Allen first.  He should be last.  But if Mayfield and/or Jackson bet on themselves this season, they might not sign until next year.  And honestly it might be the Ravens pumping the brakes on a deal with Jackson.  Of course he might be waiting on another QB to sign so he can copy their deal since he has agent mom representing him. 

Baker has not hit the ceiling Josh has yet.  His success also hasn’t been as sustained as Allen’s, but he is finally in the same system for a second season in a row - and he is on a loaded team for the first time ever.  He has the best opportunity of the 3 to elevate his play and contract in 2021.  So he might want to take that chance.  It’s a weird 3 way game of chicken and I have no idea who will swerve first.

baker is in for a monster season this year just look at the 2nd year jump that Qbs take in this shannahan/ kubiac/stefanski/ lafleur/ mcvay system.

look for 35 td 10 int  4500 yds

most recently

Goff 2017 to 2018

Ryan 2015 to 2016

Rodgers 2019 to 2020

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

baker is in for a monster season this year just look at the 2nd year jump that Qbs take in this shannahan/ kubiac/stefanski/ lafleur/ mcvay system.

look for 35 td 10 int  4500 yds

most recently

Goff 2017 to 2018

Ryan 2015 to 2016

Rodgers 2019 to 2020

I agree.  I know he wants to get a deal done soon, but he’s probably going to be leaving a lot of money on the table. Maybe a contract with escalators built in would be best for both parties.  

If this has been mentioned already forgive me, but I doubt any of the QB’s want to sign a deal this year. That cap is going to JUMP over the next couple of years and their agents (and Lamar’s mom) all know it. Not saying a deal won’t get done, but I’m betting that their agents have told them unless the team comes in with an absolute monster deal to hold off until next offseason