TBN: Is now a good time for Josh Allen to get his contract extension?

warrior9

17 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Do the contract next year, even if means paying an additional $5 mil per year.  Use the $ now to bolster roster.

But the contract is almost certainly going to be CAP neutral for the 2021 season.  The only way holding off on the contract results in the Bills  saving $5 million next season is if Bean asks Allen to take a substantial pay cut.   If that happens Allen will be joining Watson in trying to get traded.

Given that this contract will likely be structured to be CAP neutral the next two seasons you have to get it done this off season.  Allen is only human and if he sees his peers getting big deals over the summer while the Bills don't move on his contract we're playing with fire.

But again I have all the confidence in the world that Bean gets it done this summer and Allen, the Bills and the Fans will all be happy with the outcome.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

Allen is going to get extended right before the season starts (hopefully sooner) but recent history for some reason this drags to the first week of September.

If money is your concern....it shouldn't be.  

If being sold on him is your concern, there is an extremely small percentage of QBs in the last 20 years you can say "definitely sold."  So I'm fine listening to people have that discussion about Allen.  I get it.  

But I don't need convincing I was sold after his rookie season (which to me should have been a Mahomes like red shirt season).  Back to back playoffs and 2nd in MVP voting (if his name was Sam Darnold and the Jets won the division he would have won it).  That "how did this happen we all thought he'd be a bust" narrative will take a Super Bowl to extinguish.  Whatever.  

My question is, do Baker and Lamar get extended and what will those deals look like? 

Because I'm far more sold on Allen then those guys.  And I'd be in no way comfortable right now giving Jackson the big pay day.  He has to show me something this season before I did.  That passing game can't look like that and him get 30 to 40 mill per.  At least Baker really played well the 2nd half of this season and lit up that Ravens D.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Allen is going to get extended right before the season starts (hopefully sooner) but recent history for some reason this drags to the first week of September.

Expect some red crosses coming your way... gotta be signed immediately apparently 

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Expect some red crosses coming your way... gotta be signed immediately apparently 

I don't know what folks will expect I think Mahomes, Watson, Goff, maybe Wentz all signed their deals right before the season.  Its just how these negotiations seem to work.  

Maybe they want to see where they're at when the dust settles after you get everyone signed for that current season and you see your cap situation going beyond....and maybe it's just what agents and teams do as they negotiate every aspect of the deal down to the wire.

Yes if it's me I extend him tomorrow but it just doesn't seem that's how it's been playing out for QBs going into that 4th season on the brink of a mega deal.   

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Edmunds is 100% a guy you used the 5th year option on.  As the 16th overall pick his 5th year option is lower than someone who was picked in the top ten.  So essentially you get to pay him an average of players at his position from 3rd-25th.    Essentially its a one year deal for $10 million as it currently stands.

So before you have to decide to give him a long term deal you can see him for two more years.   I think thats a must for a guy like Tremaine because by that time you wont have the built in he is still so young excuse everyone uses for him.  While he will still only be 24 or 25 years old, you've seen five years of football from him.  

this is incorrect in more ways than one. First of all, you’re describing the old 5th year option protocol. This off-season we have to decide on JA and Edmunds, fully guaranteeing their 4th year rookie deal and 5th year options at the transition tag rate for both positions. For Edmunds that is 13.4 million. He is not worth half of that in my opinion. I know they will keep him, but considering his age, I’d like them to decline the option and offer a 2-3 year extension at far less than 13.4 mil a year. Actually I would like them to trade him but that’s not going to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  This is how you do a contract for a QB with one year left on his rookie deal and a 5th year option available.  He can get a chunk of cash up front, but the cap hits need to stay low this season and reasonably low next.

That all said, I definitely exercise his 5th year option, but I want to see another season of him before signing him to a mega deal.  Also I don’t know that QBs like him, Mayfield and Lamar will be in a hurry to sign extensions yet.  There’s so much more money on the horizon they might want to wait for it. 

They don’t have a choice. That’s how all first round extensions must be done.

They will sign him to an extension over the summer or just before the season starts.

3 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

this is incorrect in more ways than one. First of all, you’re describing the old 5th year option protocol. This off-season we have to decide on JA and Edmunds, fully guaranteeing their 4th year rookie deal and 5th year options at the transition tag rate for both positions. For Edmunds that is 13.4 million. He is not worth half of that in my opinion. I know they will keep him, but considering his age, I’d like them to decline the option and offer a 2-3 year extension at far less than 13.4 mil a year. Actually I would like them to trade him but that’s not going to happen. 

You are mostly correct. Yes they need to make a decision by May 3rd for both Allen and Edmunds.  As you said it makes the fourth and 5th year fully guaranteed before it was just an injury protection.

However because Edmunds was named to two ProBowl appearances he gets awarded the franchise tag amount. Too bad the Bills can’t appeal his ProBowl nod for this year. What a joke.

32 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You are mostly correct. Yes they need to make a decision by May 3rd for both Allen and Edmunds.  As you said it makes the fourth and 5th year fully guaranteed before it was just an injury protection.

However because Edmunds was named to two ProBowl appearances he gets awarded the franchise tag amount. Too bad the Bills can’t appeal his ProBowl nod for this year. What a joke.

Not the franchise tag amount.  Edmunds will earn the regular transitional tag amount (13 million) because he was selected to one pro bowl on the original ballot.

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not the franchise tag amount.  Edmunds will earn the regular transitional tag amount (13 million) because he was selected to one pro bowl on the original ballot.

I stand corrected. I forgot he was an alternate last year. There is also a designation for playing greater than 75% of defensive snaps too. I’m sure he reached that mark so not sure which is greater the transition tag amount or the formula for percent of snaps played.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I stand corrected. I forgot he was an alternate last year. There is also a designation for playing greater than 75% of defensive snaps too. I’m sure he reached that mark so not sure which is greater the transition tag amount or the formula for percent of snaps played.

He'll make the highest you can make (around 13 million) as far as the transitional tag is concerned (average yearly salary of 1st through 10th at the position) because he made that pro bowl.  If he didn't and did play 75% of his snaps they take the average salary of 3rd through 25th at the position.  Thanks pro bowl voters.  At least we won't have to pay him the franchise tag amount.

Edited by Doc Brown

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I was under the impression that in order for a pro bowl to count for these purposes it could not be an alternate selection. So Edmunds would only have one. 

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

No one said that. It's in a discussion for the off-season. 

No one said "gotta be signed immediately" It's a discussion of when you do it. This off-season or wait? 

Did you even read the article?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They don’t have a choice. That’s how all first round extensions must be done.

They will sign him to an extension over the summer or just before the season starts.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they got a deal done, but I disagree that it’s mandatory.  With 5th year options available teams have another year if they really want it.  It all comes down to how sold each team is on their first round quarterback and what the quarterbacks is asking for a a contract.

with a one-year dip in the salary cap and the expectation that there will be a huge increase next year it’s very possible that these quarterbacks will want to wait to cash in on that.  It could be as simple as agents understanding that the big expected cap increases should be factored into the contracts of the clients and teams countering that by waiting a year make sure those increases really happen as expected. 

18 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Edmunds is 100% a guy you used the 5th year option on.  As the 16th overall pick his 5th year option is lower than someone who was picked in the top ten.  So essentially you get to pay him an average of players at his position from 3rd-25th.    Essentially its a one year deal for $10 million as it currently stands.

So before you have to decide to give him a long term deal you can see him for two more years.   I think thats a must for a guy like Tremaine because by that time you wont have the built in he is still so young excuse everyone uses for him.  While he will still only be 24 or 25 years old, you've seen five years of football from him.  

That would mean that taking that option would require paying the transition tag for his position. The transition tag for LBs in 2020 was $13.737 M. 

I think it's very likely that you indeed use the 5th year option on if you are the Bills, who love the guy.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/6/24/21301116/changes-to-the-fifth-year-option-salaries-in-the-new-cba-pittsburgh-steelers-fitzpatrick-devin-bush

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, Draconator said:

Just my gut on this, but I think Josh takes a MASSIVE hometown deal. In the range of $20-$25 million/year, in order to keep the talent level around him at the top, and be able to contend for the Superbowl year in/year out. 

$20 - $25 mill? I strongly strongly doubt this, though I certainly wouldn't mind a bit.

18 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I’m no expert in the matter but it seems cap space is limited.. Think the Bills need to dump salary wherever they can. Obviously we’re not in terrible shape but I think we need to trim some fat in order to extend Josh next year. Josh will cost $38M-$40M/aav I’m guessing.. Jefferson, Butler, Lotulelei and even Hughes need to go. Probably hang onto Morse, Feliciano and Williams for at least another year but overwhelmingly I think the defense needs to be gutted and then rebuilt through the draft.. But yeah, I don’t think Josh will be extended this year. I could be completely wrong but I think we need to free up cap for next year in order to do that.

A lot of players/bigger contracts will be gone by the time Allen's extension kicks in. Two more drafts will have taken place which hopefully would replace big contracts with rookies deals. There should be a new TV deal which should show a significant jump in the cap. I think going forward, after this coming season, the cap won't be a big issue again.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they got a deal done, but I disagree that it’s mandatory.  With 5th year options available teams have another year if they really want it.  It all comes down to how sold each team is on their first round quarterback and what the quarterbacks is asking for a a contract.

with a one-year dip in the salary cap and the expectation that there will be a huge increase next year it’s very possible that these quarterbacks will want to wait to cash in on that.  It could be as simple as agents understanding that the big expected cap increases should be factored into the contracts of the clients and teams countering that by waiting a year make sure those increases really happen as expected. 

The precedent is set. Star QB gets an extension after 3rd year. Both sides will want a deal done to avoid Dallas/Dak current situation.  

12 minutes ago, klos63 said:

A lot of players/bigger contracts will be gone by the time Allen's extension kicks in. Two more drafts will have taken place which hopefully would replace big contracts with rookies deals. There should be a new TV deal which should show a significant jump in the cap. I think going forward, after this coming season, the cap won't be a big issue again.

Agree and you will have guys like Hughes, Hyde, Poyer, Star and Morse being let go in 2022 and beyond as they age. 

This offseason is all about the two lines and a second TE. 

In terms of player evaluation, 2020 was all eyes on Allen. In 2021 it is all about Edmunds and Knox. If they don't get better Beane will have two major holes to fill in 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

$20 - $25 mill? I strongly strongly doubt this, though I certainly wouldn't mind a bit.

I can't see it either. This is still a business and many of these players careers get cut short. Josh is going to get a big day. The Pegula's pay Beane the big bucks to let him figure out and negotiate how much it will be. 

55 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I think you’re probably right.