TBN: Is now a good time for Josh Allen to get his contract extension?

warrior9

Josh Allen Article

In my opinion, I think you do this sooner rather than later. I know his cap won't hit next year, however, we may be able to play with the salary cap issue in our favor. 

Another reason I think you do this sooner rather than later, let's say Josh goes out and wins and MVP (or Super Bowl) next year, his price blows up.

I think it's a no-brainer to do this thing ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Toss in as other QBs in his class get contracts, the next guy to extend likely will get a higher contract with way NFL works. Lamar could argue he should earn more having won an MVP and been part of a playoff team three years in a row though Baltimore is very stingy on the cap. 

I’m no expert in the matter but it seems cap space is limited.. Think the Bills need to dump salary wherever they can. Obviously we’re not in terrible shape but I think we need to trim some fat in order to extend Josh next year. Josh will cost $38M-$40M/aav I’m guessing.. Jefferson, Butler, Lotulelei and even Hughes need to go. Probably hang onto Morse, Feliciano and Williams for at least another year but overwhelmingly I think the defense needs to be gutted and then rebuilt through the draft.. But yeah, I don’t think Josh will be extended this year. I could be completely wrong but I think we need to free up cap for next year in order to do that.

Yes, they'll get it done this offseason and they should.

As long as it is as expected, an extension that kicks in after his 5th year option.

So still on the rookie deal this year and 2022, and then the big money kicks in in 2023. But we would be able to spread some of that bonus out over the next couple of years as well.

Absolutely. Get r dun.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely.  His price tag will only go up the longer we wait. 

those that are saying we don’t have the money....it’s an extension and has no bearing on next years cap.  

If we are sold on him.....there is only one answer.  Sign him now or pay more later

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I’m no expert in the matter but it seems cap space is limited.. Think the Bills need to dump salary wherever they can. Obviously we’re not in terrible shape but I think we need to trim some fat in order to extend Josh next year. Josh will cost $38M-$40M/aav I’m guessing.. Jefferson, Butler, Lotulelei and even Hughes need to go. Probably hang onto Morse, Feliciano and Williams for at least another year but overwhelmingly I think the defense needs to be gutted and then rebuilt through the draft.. But yeah, I don’t think Josh will be extended this year. I could be completely wrong but I think we need to free up cap for next year in order to do that.

On the bolded, 

Right, just like with Tre (and Mahomes really), the new money wouldn't start for another 2 years, after his 5th year option.

I also think we need to keep Star(maybe restructure) but last year, it seems as though he was sorely missed. Him being back will allow Ed Oliver to play 3T where he belongs. (not to get the thread de-railed just wanted to respond to that). 

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Now as in today?

Dont see much reason for doing it in the next 8 months...

If it happened today, I'd be completely ok with it.

• Like (+1) 2

They are going to do it this offseason.   Beane has shown that he re-ups players he believes are cornerstones of the team in the offseason leading up to their third year.   

I imagine his cap hit will be similar this year, with a raise on par with the 5th year option next year.  I wouldnt expect the big money to hit until 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

They are going to do it this offseason.   Beane has shown that he re-ups players he believes are cornerstones of the team in the offseason leading up to their third year.   

I imagine his cap hit will be similar this year, with a raise on par with the 5th year option next year.  I wouldnt expect the big money to hit until 2023.

Exactly, I would absolutely agree with that.

I wonder what they do with Edmunds, it will be interesting. 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Id be concerned that Beane and the team are not focussing on Free Agency at the moment...

There is no need to get this done until after FA and the draft..

I see what you're saying but they haven't given us worry that they are not focused on bettering the team in all aspects. 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

This will be the biggest deal by far Beane has done... just take your time with it.. JA isn’t going anywhere 

Yeah, I agree with the last part. I think getting it done this off-season should be up there in priority before his price tag rises.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Exactly, I would absolutely agree with that.

I wonder what they do with Edmunds, it will be interesting. 

Edmunds is 100% a guy you used the 5th year option on.  As the 16th overall pick his 5th year option is lower than someone who was picked in the top ten.  So essentially you get to pay him an average of players at his position from 3rd-25th.    Essentially its a one year deal for $10 million as it currently stands.

So before you have to decide to give him a long term deal you can see him for two more years.   I think thats a must for a guy like Tremaine because by that time you wont have the built in he is still so young excuse everyone uses for him.  While he will still only be 24 or 25 years old, you've seen five years of football from him.  

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Absolutely.  His price tag will only go up the longer we wait. 

those that are saying we don’t have the money....it’s an extension and has no bearing on next years cap.  

If we are sold on him.....there is only one answer.  Sign him now or pay more later

His price actually is more likely to go down or stay the same. QB market is already set. Last year I felt the Bills better get White signed before Ramsey, but there really isnt anyone that will increase the QB market.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His price actually is more likely to go down or stay the same. QB market is already set. Last year I felt the Bills better get White signed before Ramsey, but there really isnt anyone that will increase the QB market.

If he wins the MVP/ SB, his price tag will absolutely go up. 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Please explain why it is more likely to go down

He's currently somewhere in between Mahomes and Watson, making him the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL. Not much higher he can go unless he tops Mahomes. 

Just now, warrior9 said:

If he wins the MVP/ SB, his price tag will absolutely go up. 

Well yeah. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's currently somewhere in between Mahomes and Watson, making him the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL. Not much higher he can go unless he tops Mahomes. 

I don't think he gets Mahomes money as he hasn't won a Super Bowl. I would guess if it gets done this offseason it will be similar to Watson. If it doesn't happen this offseason and the Bills win it all next season then Pegula will be paying him in the Mahomes range.