Opinions on FAs this year

Rebel101

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I think him walking while a bit of a setback isn't devastating. Drafting or signing a replacement hopefully won't be too difficult. AJ Klein is already on the roster and provides a third linebacker and depth a pass rusher in certain situations. But I don't think it is a foregone conclusion he is walking. If there is a cap crunch (Which will happen if the cap is set between 180-190 million to varying degrees) the longer term deal he wants may not be out there and he might be be willing to take a one year 7-8 million dollar deal from the Bills and stay in a system that makes him look good (and one where you can win which is a plus) and hope to get a bigger deal in 2022 when he will still be young enough and productive enough to get his longer term big money deal.

That’s our only chance, but all it takes is one team to buck up and pay him

Just now, NewEra said:

That’s our only chance, but all it takes is one team to buck up and pay him

It all depends on what his expectations are in my opinion. If he wants 4 years at a 12-14 million aav and all he is getting is 9.5 million aav then a one year 8.5 million dollar offer from Buffalo still affords him a massive pay raise and puts him in a situation where he can be on himself and get a bite on a bigger contract much closer in line with what he wants. If he is expecting 10-11 million aav and he gets a 9.5 million aav offer he might just take it and not fret over being 5-9% away from what he wants.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

3 years away?  I just read someplace they hope to have a new TV announced prior to the start of free agency!  At most by next season the contracts run out.

That is for Sunday night football. 

MNF ends next year

NBC/CBS/FOX  contracts got renewed last year, they go until end of 2023 Superbowl. 

Amazon and Apple thought to be in play hence the idea of a bigger pay day

So many conflicting articles on the next. 

NFL Sirius radio was talking that DAX wanted a 4 year deal next year so he could time with the new contract, 

They joked that he must want a 3 year deal now. LOL 

1 hour ago, Nester said:

That is for Sunday night football. 

MNF ends next year

NBC/CBS/FOX  contracts got renewed last year, they go until end of 2023 Superbowl. 

Amazon and Apple thought to be in play hence the idea of a bigger pay day

So many conflicting articles on the next. 

NFL Sirius radio was talking that DAX wanted a 4 year deal next year so he could time with the new contract, 

They joked that he must want a 3 year deal now. LOL 

So is this article only about what's happening in 2023??

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-reportedly-seeking-double-broadcast-000258351.html

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

33 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So is this article only about what's happening in 2023??

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-reportedly-seeking-double-broadcast-000258351.html

I don't even know anymore

Apparently there are like 6 different  TV deals

CBS/EPSN/FOX MNF SNF TNF then streaming? 

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nfls-tv-rights-fox-cbs-espn-nbc-amazon-value-2022

Steve Tomsic, the chief financial officer at Fox, recently said the network could look to move on from its Thursday night package. Fox currently pays US$660 million per year for those games, but the deal expires at the end of the 2023 season, a year after the network’s US$1.1 billion broadcast partnership for the main NFC rights package.

Also does the 2023 season mean Feb 2023? or Dec 2023? do they count post season in these articles? 

So confusing. 

Edited by Nester

What is the deal with Kenny Stills? I’m pretty sure we only took over his contract that ended this year but I also read an article that said Beane has been on Stills for awhile and if Brown is cut or does walk is Stills an option? I think he could be a nice addition. I would have liked if we used him in the playoffs with Brown. But if we can’t keep brown is Stills an option? 

10 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Do you think players such as Milano, would take maybe a 5 year contract into a 6 year contract for example and have the 2021 year lower to help teams with the cap then add the difference into the next 5 years? I’ve heard FAs might take 1 year deals to build super teams but what about extended team friendly contracts for the first year that give both sides what they want? Has anything like this ever been done before?

Sure they might do it, and sure it's been done before.

For the player to sign you need to put serious money into either the signing bonus or money that's totally guaranteed for two or three years down the line.

It's got a downside, of course, for the teams, it's a huge commitment.

Doesn't need to be a six year commitment either. Just, say, four years with a much larger than normal amount of the money guaranteed.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

People here will tell you that he doesn’t have an injury history 

Sigh.

No, they won't. They'll tell you that missing three games in three years before last year wasn't bad at all. Which is a very reasonable thing to say. Those people have a point.

So do the people who say that missing so much last year wasn't optimal. Both sides have a point. 

No need to completely mis-state what anyone is saying.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think people need to wrap their minds around the fact that Milano is gonna walk.

Nah. He might. He might not. As usual, we'll have to see.

This year is a bizarre year. Offers could easily be quite different from other years, especially if the cap turns out to be $182 - $183M as seems likely. Things are much more unpredictable than usual. The Bills could even still franchise him, it's a legit possibility if they think he's worth it, which is not certain, of course.

You might be right that the odds lean that way. If he does walk, that will hurt. A lot more than many here want to admit. The defense simply played a lot better with him and worse without him. He had a major impact. But the cap is the cap. We won't be able to sign everyone we'd like to in a better year.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Milano to the Patriots seems more fitting tbh. Yet who knows, free agency is going to be different this year as think most guys will sign 1 year prove it deals in hopes for more money next year. 

I don’t know as the opt outs are coming back so we’ll see how many on defense that took the biggest will help.  They have a line, and RB’s, but need a QB, and targets (WR/TE).  They have so much $, I can see them spending there.  It’s not beyond to even consider a trade in the division with Darnold, but more likely they bring in Fitzy as a stop gap.

The Jets will mop up in FA, so it’s possible they go after Milano.  Both these comments does not mean I think they are both going to be good, but probably improved if the Pats find a QB.  I’m not that worried as we’ll just have a little more competition this year.  I can see another 5-1 divisional record as we might lose 1.

5 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Yes, I'll take two HoF players as bookends...both just needed a change of scenery and have years of gas left in the tank, both should be retiring Bills

Great idea. Bring in two HoF players as bookends. How about Alan Page and Merlin Olsen? They're a bit older than the two you suggest, but that's the direction your two are headed. Great timing to catch guys on the slide, that way they have momentum.

The only proof that both of your guys have years of gas in the tank is opinion, and frankly opinion that is not real smart, as both of them are already headed downhill and not all that slowly. One? Yeah, maybe.

Both, as you suggest? Outright butt-headed.

Likelihood somewhat below zero, which is as it should be.

Oh, and the odds on Kerrigan as a HOFer, not good. Maybe an outside shot. Not all that likely, and he's not playing at his old level anymore, or even anywhere close. Used to be a fine player, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

What is the deal with Kenny Stills? I’m pretty sure we only took over his contract that ended this year but I also read an article that said Beane has been on Stills for awhile and if Brown is cut or does walk is Stills an option? I think he could be a nice addition. I would have liked if we used him in the playoffs with Brown. But if we can’t keep brown is Stills an option? 

Stills contract ended when the season ended. He can sign anywhere, so yes, we could re-sign him if we let Smoke go.