Opinions on FAs this year

Rebel101

Do you think players such as Milano, would take maybe a 5 year contract into a 6 year contract for example and have the 2021 year lower to help teams with the cap then add the difference into the next 5 years? I’ve heard FAs might take 1 year deals to build super teams but what about extended team friendly contracts for the first year that give both sides what they want? Has anything like this ever been done before?

Just now, Rebel101 said:

Don’t think he’s worth it? Because of his injury history?

Well, first he'll be 27 in a few months. No one is locking him up to 32-33 years old. Second, the injury history. The best he'll get on the open market is a 3 or 4 year deal which will carry him through 30-31 years old. 

I think the Bills need to dump salary. Maybe our cap situation isn’t as severe as say the Rams or the Eagles, but we do need to dump salary. Get ready for Josh’s contract and Diggs contract. Save that money for a rainy day. Who knows, maybe a premier FA comes along next year and we can make a play for them? At this point I’m hoping for a plug n play LB in FA and I’m hoping we draft lots of DL and front seven guys in general.. Boogie or Collins RD1 or bust.

I think the depth of this year's draft class will impact free agent spending more than it would other years.  For instance, Daryl Williams would be a no brainer resigning if it wasnt for the down cap.   But with this years class so deep at tackle, the Bills will probably be more prone to offer him a contract with less money in the first year.  If he doesnt take it, they move on faster than they would in other years.

Fully expect Lee Smith, Vernon Butler, Quinton Jefferson and Mario Addison to be cut/retire.  That said, the Bills probably only have enough money to sign one of their bigger free agents, and then bring in a 9-12 million dollar a year pass rusher from outside in free agency.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

Don’t think he’s worth it? Because of his injury history?

yes I would say this is his limiting factor as he is a puffed up 225 pound LB.  Pec, Hammy and some earlier career injuries were all soft tissue.  These usually worsen with age and occur more frequently

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The length of the deal in the NFL is meaningless imo.  Guaranteed money is really the only thing that matters.  

And no one still will give Milano a 5 or 6 year deal. :thumbsup:

I think his top offer will be between $10-$11M per season over 3 years with about 2/3 of it guaranteed and I have a gut feeling it's going to be the Jets that give it to him. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think his top offer will be between $10-$11M per season over 3 years with about 2/3 of it guaranteed and I have a gut feeling it's going to be the Jets that give it to him. 

I have the same feeling....

maybe they’ll get the same productivity out of him as they did from CJ Mosley. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Milano to the Patriots seems more fitting tbh. Yet who knows, free agency is going to be different this year as think most guys will sign 1 year prove it deals in hopes for more money next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nester said:

Next TV contract is 3 years away. 

Get ready for a ton of 3 year contracts for dudes hoping the Cap explodes in 2024

That is a very good point that I hadn't thought of. The NFL is asking for a huge jump in rights fees that will trickle down to the players.

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Milano to the Patriots seems more fitting tbh. Yet who knows, free agency is going to be different this year as think most guys will sign 1 year prove it deals in hopes for more money next year. 

Saleh likes those rangy, coverage LB's who kind of do it all and the Jets currently have none imo. They also have plenty of cap space. I think he is one of their primary targets. 

10 minutes ago, Nester said:

Next TV contract is 3 years away. 

Get ready for a ton of 3 year contracts for dudes hoping the Cap explodes in 2024

3 years away?  I just read someplace they hope to have a new TV announced prior to the start of free agency!  At most by next season the contracts run out.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think people need to wrap their minds around the fact that Milano is gonna walk.

I think him walking while a bit of a setback isn't devastating. Drafting or signing a replacement hopefully won't be too difficult. AJ Klein is already on the roster and provides a third linebacker and depth a pass rusher in certain situations. But I don't think it is a foregone conclusion he is walking. If there is a cap crunch (Which will happen if the cap is set between 180-190 million to varying degrees) the longer term deal he wants may not be out there and he might be be willing to take a one year 7-8 million dollar deal from the Bills and stay in a system that makes him look good (and one where you can win which is a plus) and hope to get a bigger deal in 2022 when he will still be young enough and productive enough to get his longer term big money deal.