Current TBD Whipping Boy?

sullim4

Who is the 2021 TBD Offseason whipping boy?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Your choice?

• Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • AJ Klein
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary
    • John Brown
    • Other

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I will die on this hill even I'm the only one standing.  I am dumbfounded how you guys don't like ranch more.  I dip my fries in ranch over ketchup.

If I'm eating a plain chip, I'll dip it in ranch.  When I dip my wing in there, I give it a swirl so more ranch gets on the wing....like I'm making a cotton candy stick.

Are you sure your not a closet Pats fan ? ;)

Its Blue Cheese all the way and Pineapple on your pizza ;)

19 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Matt Barkley

The poor guy gets to play 2 meaningless games in 2 years and every one has the hate on for him🤣

I had to go with Knox, mostly just because of the amount of people who don’t even want to see if he develops they just want him benched. Edmunds is a close second imo as he might be the most hated guy on the current roster which is quite funny to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I know many fans will defend Motor and say it's the OL's fault but I don't buy it. There were holes for him to attack. There were passes for him to catch. And there were blitzes for him to pu. Sorry, he's to slow and frankly has stone hands. Edmunds gets honorable mention. If better instincts don't kick in soon he'll be joining Milano. I'm not going to even mention Knox because the Bills have never taken the TE position seriously in the last 30 years.

Stone hands? His catch percentage actually went from 70.7% in 2019 to 76.0% in 2020 and both numbers are pretty freaking good! That number puts him right there with Beasley 76.6% and Diggs 76.5%. 

Motor was the Bills 3rd leading reception leader with 38 receptions. 

As for rushing, if the Bills made more commitment to the run game his 4.4 yards per rushing attempt would have been as good as his 2019, 5.1 yard per rushing attempt. IMO.

BTW, that 4.4 YPC is the same as the Chiefs rookie RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire. 

The Bills are a passing team and have been with Bills OC Brian Daboll calling plays. The only reason the Bills looked overall decent in the run game was because of QB Josh Allen with his carries.

If you look at the stats Singletary had only 18 carries in two games in 2020 and in some games had as little as 2 carries Sea-3 Mia-4 Ariz carries. He averaged about 10 carries per game. 

Now look at Titans RB Derrick Henry, his lowest was 15 carries and highest 34. He averaged about 20-28 or more carries a game. It generally takes around 20 carries for any RB to realize his potential in a game as he gets more into a rhythm and this wears down a defense chasing him all over the field. 

IMHO, The Bills would be a better running team if they actually put the effort into running the ball. It's clear that the priority on offense is the passing game. If the Bills OC put as much effort into the run plays as pass plays they would be better at running the ball.

Heck, The Bills didn't even utilize RBs TJ Yeldon or Antonio Williams very much even after Moss went out. BTW, Zach Moss YPC avg in 2020 was 4.3. 

From Bills GM Brandon Beane, 

"I think it's so unfair to look at the running backs to point blame on the running game," he said. "Running the football is very complex and it's obviously the O-line, it's the tight ends, it's the receivers and if one guy doesn't make his block the play's probably dead.

"And so there were times this year where we're one guy away, and whether it's a tight end or whether it was a lineman, it's a big gainer and you're going, 'Gosh, if we just get this guy blocked.' We had that at times. I'm not saying there's no blame. Sometimes the running back missed the hole. But it's one of those things you've got to practice, you've got to emphasize and you've got to work on it and that's something that we'll definitely look at."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/bills-offseason-position-spotlight-running-back

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would have to say Mitch Morse.  I think he's an outstanding pass-protecting center (the most important thing for our offense) and good in the run game if used correctly eg to pull, not as a power bruiser.

Yet everyone seems to want him to be cut (at the expense of a big dead cap hit and not very large savings) and replaced by a popular guard who is a competent center, but neither as good in pass protection as Mitch, and was not as good in the run or pass game as some seem to believe.

This ^^^

The run game was for all intents an afterthought this past season, mostly because Allen and the receivers were ripping it up for the majority of the season, but even the running plays that were called were uninspired, and did not use the best abilities of the O line or the running backs. That and as much as no one talks about it, not having Spain, and a healthy Ford run blocking showed this past season.  Look back to the season before last, the run play calling was substantially better on every level, as was the blocking.  It is my hope that Beane’s appropriate kick in the pants that he delivered post season to those that are responsible for the drop off takes hold. Anyway, jmo. 

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it should be Cody Ford but most seem to have written him in as a starter.

he has been a HUGE disappointment.  Was so happy when we drafted him (and Edmunds).  Not sure what happened to these guys.  

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Stone hands? His catch percentage actually went from 70.7% in 2019 to 76.0% in 2020 and both numbers are pretty freaking good! That number puts him right there with Beasley 76.6% and Diggs 76.5%. 

Motor was the Bills 3rd leading reception leader with 38 receptions. 

As for rushing, if the Bills made more commitment to the run game his 4.4 yards per rushing attempt would have been as good as his 2019, 5.1 yard per rushing attempt. IMO.

BTW, that 4.4 YPC is the same as the Chiefs rookie RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire. 

The Bills are a passing team and have been with Bills OC Brian Daboll calling plays. The only reason the Bills looked overall decent in the run game was because of QB Josh Allen with his carries.

If you look at the stats Singletary had only 18 carries in two games in 2020 and in some games had as little as 2 carries Sea-3 Mia-4 Ariz carries. He averaged about 10 carries per game. 

Now look at Titans RB Derrick Henry, his lowest was 15 carries and highest 34. He averaged about 20-28 or more carries a game. It generally takes around 20 carries for any RB to realize his potential in a game as he gets more into a rhythm and this wears down a defense chasing him all over the field. 

IMHO, The Bills would be a better running team if they actually put the effort into running the ball. It's clear that the priority on offense is the passing game. If the Bills OC put as much effort into the run plays as pass plays they would be better at running the ball.

Heck, The Bills didn't even utilize RBs TJ Yeldon or Antonio Williams very much even after Moss went out. BTW, Zach Moss YPC avg in 2020 was 4.3. 

From Bills GM Brandon Beane, 

"I think it's so unfair to look at the running backs to point blame on the running game," he said. "Running the football is very complex and it's obviously the O-line, it's the tight ends, it's the receivers and if one guy doesn't make his block the play's probably dead.

"And so there were times this year where we're one guy away, and whether it's a tight end or whether it was a lineman, it's a big gainer and you're going, 'Gosh, if we just get this guy blocked.' We had that at times. I'm not saying there's no blame. Sometimes the running back missed the hole. But it's one of those things you've got to practice, you've got to emphasize and you've got to work on it and that's something that we'll definitely look at."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/bills-offseason-position-spotlight-running-back

good analysis.  I think the issue with Motor for most, or at least me, is the lack of runaway speed.  Also, we do need to commit more to the running game.  I'm still drafting a RB this year, esp. if Harris is there.  But it seems like Bean thinks an issue could be on the OL, will be interesting to see how that's addressed.  A versatile guy like OL Mayfield form Michigan could be the answer at 30.    

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Beane suggested he'd be a starter.... IMO the reason for that is that is because they invested a high pick and a trade up for him and feel the need to put him in the lineup.... along with the fact that they are tight against the cap so looking to upgrade the position while having other holes elsewhere on the roster is not ideal... they are going let Ford and Boetteger(who they will tender) battle it out for one of the starting guard positions. 

I thought Boetteger performed better than Ford when he came in. 

I'm fine with Ford and Boettger battling for LG.  What Beane said to my memory is "he'll have to compete, but I think he'll be one of our 5 best"

I don't think they "feel the need to put a player in the lineup" because they invested either a high pick or $$ in them.  Look at Murphy, they had $9.7M of cap invested in him and he wound up a healthy scratch most of the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, sullim4 said:

There was a thread started on this at the beginning of the season, and I thought it might be interesting to rekindle this discussion given all the talk about cap casualties... who's receiving the most criticism this offseason from fans here, either deservedly so or not?

So are we voting on who we believe "is" the whipping boy or wo we "want" to be the whipping boy?

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I know many fans will defend Motor and say it's the OL's fault but I don't buy it. There were holes for him to attack. There were passes for him to catch. And there were blitzes for him to pu. Sorry, he's to slow and frankly has stone hands. Edmunds gets honorable mention. If better instincts don't kick in soon he'll be joining Milano. I'm not going to even mention Knox because the Bills have never taken the TE position seriously in the last 30 years.

By gawd it HAS been 30 years since the last decent TE's were wearing a Bills uni....thats criminal!  Just insane.

46 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

he has been a HUGE disappointment.  Was so happy when we drafted him (and Edmunds).  Not sure what happened to these guys.  

good analysis.  I think the issue with Motor for most, or at least me, is the lack of runaway speed.  Also, we do need to commit more to the running game.  I'm still drafting a RB this year, esp. if Harris is there.  But it seems like Bean thinks an issue could be on the OL, will be interesting to see how that's addressed.  A versatile guy like OL Mayfield form Michigan could be the answer at 30.    

Lack of runaway speed and lack of initial burst. I think both the backs are #2 level talents. Have since we drafted them and have seen nothing to change my mind.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

That and as much as no one talks about it, not having Spain, and a healthy Ford run blocking showed this past season.  

Quittin' Spain was all on him.  He got a new contract, came into camp out of shape, Bills tried him for 2 games as starter and he was ineffective, he was made a backup for 2 games and not much more effective and then is healthy when he goes on plane to Tennessee but has foot issues when he gets off and does not play another down.  

22 minutes ago, Rico said:

Outside of a few plays here or there, I don’t really have one, it’s a beautiful thing.

I would say the one player who annoyed me the most last year was Brian Winters.

At least he made an effort.  Quittin' Spain had a large contract and made little effort.

I hope he stewed at home being out of playoffs.