Current TBD Whipping Boy?

sullim4

Who is the 2021 TBD Offseason whipping boy?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Your choice?

• Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • AJ Klein
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary
    • John Brown
    • Other

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My sense is a lot of fans too but maybe I am wrong on that. 

I think he's a fan favorite as an "enforcer" type who will "protect the QB", like Feliciano.

I understand Brandon Beane's point that he's "played more games injured than he has healthy" but after 2 years, I think that begs the question "is this a situation that will change?"

Because he's looked bad at times.  Maybe it's the injuries.

Edmunds was just bad last year.  Only the staff knows how much was the shoulder but so far it has been a month since the season ended and no hint of an upcoming surgery.  That doesn't mean the injury wasn't significant but it might hint that he healed up during the season.  

Of course Edmunds is not getting cut and he will almost certainly start at MLB again next year.  The coaching staff played him at OLB maybe 5-8 plays a game when Kleine started to produce.  I of course am on record that Edmunds should be moved to OLB.  I think he would be an All-Pro there.  But my guess is this regime is committed to him at MLB.

My dark horse player that is not on your list and I believe will be the surprise cut of the off-season is Morse.  He is a below average center being paid premium money.  If he came back and was the worst of the starting 5 of Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, and Williams I would be ok with that especially if he restructured his deal.  

Most frustrating - Knox for sure.  He has more athletic talent than the Bills may have ever had at TE.  No other Bills TE has been able to get deep and really challenge a defense. He just has not been consistent enough.  He still has time to develop.  

John Brown is a popular choice to get cut, but the offense was much better when he was playing and healthy.  I don't think Davis has the speed to be a consistent #2, but he has the route running and hands to be a solid #2.  Perfect scenarios Brown takes a pay cut and stays with the team with an incentive laden deal.  More likely he is let go and they roll with an offense that is more balanced next year with a few more throws to the TE and a few less pass attempts per game.  

I know many fans will defend Motor and say it's the OL's fault but I don't buy it. There were holes for him to attack. There were passes for him to catch. And there were blitzes for him to pu. Sorry, he's to slow and frankly has stone hands. Edmunds gets honorable mention. If better instincts don't kick in soon he'll be joining Milano. I'm not going to even mention Knox because the Bills have never taken the TE position seriously in the last 30 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Knox has never gotten out of the dog house. At least Edmunds has the benefit of playing better as the year went on and he got healthy.

Actually Knox did pretty well towards the end and caught a few TD's, but nobody here will ever admit that.

• Agree 1

Edmunds, Singletary and far more weirdly, Oliver.

If Murphy were still on the team he'd leap to the head of the line. He might actually be worth a vet min area contract, actually.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would have to say Mitch Morse.  I think he's an outstanding pass-protecting center (the most important thing for our offense) and good in the run game if used correctly eg to pull, not as a power bruiser.

Yet everyone seems to want him to be cut (at the expense of a big dead cap hit and not very large savings) and replaced by a popular guard who is a competent center, but neither as good in pass protection as Mitch, and was not as good in the run or pass game as some seem to believe.

I'd put him at #4, yeah.

But they seem to have switched away from his wheelhouse. They didn't pull as much last year, they seem to want to be a power team, and I'm not sure Morse fits that sort of a strategy. Good player, though, and a good guy.

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Leslie Frazier

Hah. Thoughtful pick. Hadn't even considered that. Not bad at all.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would have to say Mitch Morse.  I think he's an outstanding pass-protecting center (the most important thing for our offense) and good in the run game if used correctly eg to pull, not as a power bruiser.

Yet everyone seems to want him to be cut (at the expense of a big dead cap hit and not very large savings) and replaced by a popular guard who is a competent center, but neither as good in pass protection as Mitch, and was not as good in the run or pass game as some seem to believe.

Agreed which is why I placed other.  It actually depends on the week who gets hammered the most whether it’s Singletary, Knox, or Murphy.  For awhile it’s Klein.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I know many fans will defend Motor and say it's the OL's fault but I don't buy it. There were holes for him to attack. There were passes for him to catch. And there were blitzes for him to pu. Sorry, he's to slow and frankly has stone hands. Edmunds gets honorable mention. If better instincts don't kick in soon he'll be joining Milano. I'm not going to even mention Knox because the Bills have never taken the TE position seriously in the last 30 years.

Singletary's blitz pickup has been terrific, even better this year. And there really haven't been that many holes for him or Moss to attack. A few, here and there, but this has been mostly the line's problem. 

“I’m not looking at Devin Singletary or Zack Moss and thinking those guys came up short for us."  - Brandon Beane

That's why I put Singletary at #3. And think the likelihood of picking an RB in the first is minimal.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he's a fan favorite as an "enforcer" type who will "protect the QB", like Feliciano.

I understand Brandon Beane's point that he's "played more games injured than he has healthy" but after 2 years, I think that begs the question "is this a situation that will change?"

Because he's looked bad at times.  Maybe it's the injuries.

Maybe it's also because they have switched him around a lot, even side to side, which is really difficult, especially for young guys. If given one spot and kept there to work on the minutiae of that position, I'm hopeful we'll see why the Bills like him so much.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Morse is a good player and does not deserve to be a "whipping boy." He also has serious health issues and as you point out, a large contract. If I was the GM, I would plan on and prepare for his departure. The position is that important.

Jmo.

9 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s @Royale with Cheese and his damn ranch crusade.

I will die on this hill even I'm the only one standing.  I am dumbfounded how you guys don't like ranch more.  I dip my fries in ranch over ketchup.

If I'm eating a plain chip, I'll dip it in ranch.  When I dip my wing in there, I give it a swirl so more ranch gets on the wing....like I'm making a cotton candy stick.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I will die on this hill even I'm the only one standing.  I am dumbfounded how you guys don't like ranch more.  I dip my fries in ranch over ketchup.

If I'm eating a plain chip, I'll dip it in ranch.  When I dip my wing in there, I give it a swirl so more ranch gets on the wing....like I'm making a cotton candy stick.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47nvhtv8nuxv4w11dtby

• Agree 1