How Beane can create cap space without releasing anyone

If the Bills want to get Diggs to restructure they will have to give him more new money up front (ie a pay rise). It think there is absolutely a way to do it where both parties get what they want. The Bills get some cap relief in 2021 and Diggs gets a pay rise to recognise he is a top 5 receiver and the 16th or 17th best which is how he is currently paid. 

• Like (+1) 2

The challenge here is that Allen will get an extension this summer. That won't have much of an impact in 2021 or 2022 but it will after that.  And that is when these converted salary to bonus money would hit the cap.  

I suspect they may do a deal or two like this but I still think there will be a few cuts - Morse and Brown are probably at the top of the list.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The challenge here is that Allen will get an extension this summer. That won't have much of an impact in 2021 or 2022 but it will after that.  And that is when these converted salary to bonus money would hit the cap.  

I suspect they may do a deal or two like this but I still think there will be a few cuts - Morse and Brown are probably at the top of the list.  

You have to be certain that these players will be able to perform at a high level 3 years from now. The risk is there with any restructure like this but I think the risk is low with these players. 

The cap should also rise. With an Allen contract drafting becomes even more important because you will depend on draft picks to perform immediately on good teams. 

4 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Lets hope Bean uses a scalpel and not an ax when doing cuts.

John Brown, Lee Smith, and 1 of Butler/Jefferson are likely cuts. After that I'm not sure. Beane could easily rebuild the DL next year and release Addison, Butler, and Jefferson. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

24 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Lets hope Bean uses a scalpel and not an ax when doing cuts.

Beane is no fool, he won’t cut the nose off to spite the face, as the saying goes... have no fear, Beane has this in hand, and has so for some time now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Can Also restructure Smoke, Jerry & Morse creating more cap space. Cutting Butler, Addison, Lee Smith & red dirt the will save an additional 17 million or so. 

Obviously a typo, but I'm trying to figure out which player has a name like Red Dirt lol

• Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I really dont know much when it comes to how the cap works. Would doing this actually free up space permanently or does it just kick the can down the road like the saints did?

If they changed over the salary to a signing bonus it would not free it up permanently.  Basically if they gave Diggs a bonus of $10 Million this year and pay the rest of his salary his cap hit would be $5 million this year.  The rest of the bonus would be broken up over the years 2022 and 2023. The problem is that his salary would remain the same and increase his cap hits for those years.   They could also give him an extension and it would be broken over the rest of those years to.  But some think the cap could increase by a lot the next few years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Good find.  

I don't think the Bills will do this with everyone, but Tre' White and Dawkins are ideal candidates. 

Depending upon how the Bills see them, Morse and Brown could be handled this way as well, at a higher risk because it would mean taking a bigger cap hit in a couple of years if we wish to move on.

I think at least one of Butler or Jefferson gets cut, and if we see the possibility of bringing in DL talent possibly Addison as well.

38 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I really dont know much when it comes to how the cap works. Would doing this actually free up space permanently or does it just kick the can down the road like the saints did?

It "kicks the can down the road" as the Saints did. 

The thing is, if the team views the cap crunch as a temporary thing and the cap long-term as likely to go up with new TV deals, it makes sense to kick it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

Can Also restructure Smoke, Jerry & Morse creating more cap space. Cutting Butler, Addison, Lee Smith & red dirt the will save an additional 17 million or so. 

Smoke is on the final year of his deal am not sure a restructure would save much unless we add years which might not be smartest of things with his age and success coming from his speed. I think Addison has some leadership qualities that keeps him around but could see us cutting Jefferson. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Smoke is on the final year of his deal am not sure a restructure would save much unless we add years which might not be smartest of things with his age and success coming from his speed. I think Addison has some leadership qualities that keeps him around but could see us cutting Jefferson. 

Addison could be a pay cut candidate. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills want to get Diggs to restructure they will have to give him more new money up front (ie a pay rise). It think there is absolutely a way to do it where both parties get what they want. The Bills get some cap relief in 2021 and Diggs gets a pay rise to recognise he is a top 5 receiver and the 16th or 17th best which is how he is currently paid. 

Yea, cover 1 did a great thing on the cap and mentioned Diggs in particular. Basically you convert his salary this season to a bonus, that converts $11M and Pro-rates it over the time left on his deal. At the same time you tack on

an extra 2yrs at about $20M or so, so that $11M becomes about $2.2M on the cap per year for the 5yrs of his contract.

This does all of the following:

-Diggs gets a check for about $11M when he signs this new deal.

-Diggs and his agent get to tout a 2yr extension with a $20M aav

-Bills get two extra years of their #1 receiver at a rate that will likely be a bargain in 4yrs.

-Bills save about $8M on Diggs cap hit in 2021.

• Like (+1) 7

can someone explain the disadvantage for the player from Field yates?  I wouldve thought the conversion becomes dead cap spread across the years.  So yes the cap number is higher but the dead cap number is higher too.  higher dead cap is a positive for the player with regards to him staying on the team (see Mario Addison).