Gabriel Davis on this year's Superbowl: couldn't watch it, wants to be in it

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I would have to say that Lonnie was even worse than Robert Royal who dropped almost everything he touched. After Pete Metzalaars, the Bills were consistently weak at the TE position.

I will never forget when we were having a pregame beer at RWS.  We were talking about the Bills and I mentioned that as bad as he was, Royal seemed to be good at getting open.  You replied that he was in fact not good at getting open, and that his hands were just so bad that other teams stopped covering him. To be perfectly honest, I didn't believe you and thought it impossible for an NFL TE to not be covered. 

Yeah well then I went up to my seats. They were up high around the 40 where I could see virtually everything, and sure enough; Royal was runniung patterns all by himself lol. My crew were cracking up saying, "Badol was right!"  Not only that, he seemed fast but it looked like his arms and legs were not in synch, and just flopping around. 

To this day I can't believe what I saw. This was an NFL player who we signed as a free agent. I think that he even played at LSU!!! Have you ever seen any other revceiver that defenses didn't even bother to cover?

Dawson Knox?  

maybe not to the extent of Royal, but Knox is often WIDE open and Josh still doesn’t pats to him 1/2 the time.

I like Knox and still hold out some hope that he can become an above average TE, but that’s not a good sign.  And his blocking... ugh

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Why is it so important to you that he watch the Super Bowl? Also, it seems that a lot of professionals do not watch the Super Bowl. Plus, I mean really, should he have locked himself in a room by himself to watch the game and take notes?  Because if he said he "watched it" but was with a bigger group (a party) do you think he is really super focused on the game?

If their is something important that must be watched from the Super Bowl, he'll have access to it. In a better format then watching the Super Bowl live. It would be in a package with highlights/plays from different angles, put together by a staffer on the Bills, that directly relates to something he may need to learn/know. 

It’s important to him because the thought crossed his mind, not that that thought had much depth, but it was his, so it must be important... 😂

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I would have to say that Lonnie was even worse than Robert Royal who dropped almost everything he touched. After Pete Metzalaars, the Bills were consistently weak at the TE position.

I will never forget when we were having a pregame beer at RWS.  We were talking about the Bills and I mentioned that as bad as he was, Royal seemed to be good at getting open.  You replied that he was in fact not good at getting open, and that his hands were just so bad that other teams stopped covering him. To be perfectly honest, I didn't believe you and thought it impossible for an NFL TE to not be covered. 

Yeah well then I went up to my seats. They were up high around the 40 where I could see virtually everything, and sure enough; Royal was runniung patterns all by himself lol. My crew were cracking up saying, "Badol was right!"  Not only that, he seemed fast but it looked like his arms and legs were not in synch, and just flopping around. 

To this day I can't believe what I saw. This was an NFL player who we signed as a free agent. I think that he even played at LSU!!! Have you ever seen any other revceiver that defenses didn't even bother to cover?

Before they signed Royal he was with Washington and he had a game where he dropped like 5 wide open passes and the Redskins announcers were furious.   I've never heard the home radio team trashing a player like that before or since.    He was could bring the outrage to the surface.   But for all his drops......being wide open in the end zone,  making the easy grab and then taking one long step out of bounds in that critical Tennessee game was up there on the awareness scale with Friggin' Lonnie looking back after that fake punt.    And to put a point on it........he turned out to be THE BEST of a dozen plus free agent class that Levy signed that offseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Liked what Davis showed last year.  Now he needs to work on his upper-body strength and overall assertiveness - too often he would lose contested catches and/or fail to work the refs when he was getting mugged.  I guess that’s my only concern with the guy - he may be too nice to dominate at that position.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Before they signed Royal he was with Washington and he had a game where he dropped like 5 wide open passes and the Redskins announcers were furious.   I've never heard the home radio team trashing a player like that before or since.    He was could bring the outrage to the surface.   But for all his drops......being wide open in the end zone,  making the easy grab and then taking one long step out of bounds in that critical Tennessee game was up there on the awareness scale with Friggin' Lonnie looking back after that fake punt.    And to put a point on it........he turned out to be THE BEST of a dozen plus free agent class that Levy signed that offseason.

This is what we had to deal with but I must also say that they were good times. Our tailgate parties were great! Even through the suffering we had plenty of fun and laughs. 

Btw was that the year that we signed Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker? 😲😮😄

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Liked what Davis showed last year.  Now he needs to work on his upper-body strength and overall assertiveness - too often he would lose contested catches and/or fail to work the refs when he was getting mugged.  I guess that’s my only concern with the guy - he may be too nice to dominate at that position.

Excellent points.   I watched a ton of video of Davis in the offseason and the consensus was that he was like a 10 year pro entering the league in terms of route-running and understanding defenses.......and he was impressive........but he really was really deficient in those two areas.......even for a rookie.    He left a number of plays on the field that he should be able to get if he gets stronger and learns how to sell an obvious PI.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why do you have to disrespect Melvin Fowler and Peerless Price like that? 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

This is what we had to deal with but I must also say that they were good times. Our tailgate parties were great! Even through the suffering we had plenty of fun and laughs. 

Btw was that the year that we signed Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker? 😲😮😄

No the first round of free agents Levy signed were all JAGs and dudes who were out of football the year before. 

The Patriots had fooled Levy into thinking he could just put a bunch of JAGs together and win.

Little did he know that BB was stealing signals in those early 2000's years which was how he could put a slot receiver out at boundary CB and miraculously shut down teams despite having 40 guys on injured reserve.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Did somebody put something other than milk, in your morning cornflakes???

I think it was Schrödinger’s cat that did the deed...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/22/2021 at 11:44 AM, Patrick_Duffy said:

He had a very impressive rookie year. You could tell though the difference towards last and into the playoffs that his injury played a pretty good impact on him. Just didn't look quite right and his play took a dip.

But he is tough and did what he could to try and play through it. I have a feeling next season he will be a dangerous WR, especially long as he can stay healthy. Excited to see him again.

Yeah, there was a point during the AFCCG where I felt like I saw almost every Bills receiver labor to get off the ground after a play. Those dudes were pretty banged up and of course we wonder if had they been healthier, would things against KC gone a bit different? 

On 2/22/2021 at 9:28 AM, Einstein's Dog said:

It's unfortunate to hear that he didn't view the Superbowl.  Makes him look like an immature idiot.  It's painful so he's not going to do it - grow up.

It's the pinnacle game of his profession.  He shouldn't need to be told to watch and learn at every opportunity.   He's young, lets hope this is the last time he says something so stupid.

Worst post of the year right here. 

• Like (+1) 1